Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Build the rosters of each affiliate

Re: Build the rosters of each affiliate

According to Mark Sheldon, Bill Bray still has options remaining.

Out of options

In case you were wondering, the following Reds players head into 2010 Spring Training out of options:

RHP Bronson Arroyo, RHP Homer Bailey, IF/OF Wladimir Balentien, RHP Francisco Cordero, RHP Mike Lincoln and RHP Nick Masset.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hmmm . . . here's what I know about Bray's transactions:

April 5, 2009 - Optioned to Louisville (AAA).
    May 9, 2008 - Recalled from Louisville (AAA).
    May 5, 2008 - Optioned to Louisville (AAA).
    April 28, 2008 - Recalled from Louisville (AAA).
    March 28, 2008 - Optioned to Louisville (AAA).
    August 11, 2007 - Recalled from Louisville (AAA).
    July 20, 2007 - Missed 96 games on the DL (left index finger) and optioned to Louisville.
    May 31, 2006 - Contract purchased from New Orleans (AAA)

the options in 2008 count only once i believe.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Camisadelgolf, as strongly as you feel about Sean Henry, imagined how strongly HE feels about the same thing. Maybe he makes the Triple-A bench. One thing working against him a little is that they don't have enought outfielders in Double-A. Maybe they send Kevin West to Carolina and keep Henry in Louisville. The first time I saw Henry, I was surprised by how small he was. Built like a Lance Johnson but unfortunately without the speed. I would like to see him get a chance in Triple-A too.

Mike Griffin and Eric Eymann are in kind of the same position as Henry, guys who I am sure believe they have nothing to prove going back to Double-A, but might have to go back anyway. You could see a trade with a guy like that if they find another org that needs depth in Triple-A and has an abundance of players at a position where the Reds have a hole.

No way do I see Hamilton in Dayton. He hit .205 in the GCL. Hopefully he hits .260 in Billings. Gregorius will be the Dayton shortstop. Boxberger may make some starts to get innings. Longterm, he is a reliever most likely.

For those who like to follow the rosters during the season, one big change you will see this year:

For the past several years, if the high-A club in Sarasota needed a player for a couple of weeks or less, they would just bring someone over from the minor league complex (extended spring guys in the first half, GCL guys in the second half). It saved the cost of a plane ticket and saved a player the trouble of having to pack up and move to a new city, find a new place to live, etc. Therefore, you saw Gregorius in high-A, Puckett in high-A in '08, and countless other examples of this happening.

That obviously will change in 2010 and beyond. The extended spring guys and the AZL guys (who replaced the GCL) are now a long way from any of the affiliates. There would be nothing to gain by moving those guys up for short term needs.

Adjustments will have to be made. You may not see as many moves, period. You probably will see each club carry a player on the phantom DL who can be activated immediately if a need arises. You may see some teams have to play a little short-handed for a few days in some cases. Players may have to play positions for a few games that they might not have been asked to play in past years. In short, it will not be as easy to make short-term changes if a pitcher has to miss a start or a position player has to miss a week or so. If Lynchburg needs a player, he will not be walking over from the other side of the property. It probably will result in some tougher decisions for the farm director on when to make changes, which players to leave where they are, and which players to put on a plane.

Long-term changes should not be affected.

thorn

Which begs the questions, do you see the club moving any of their minor league affiliates to AZ anytime soon, particularly Lynchburg or is that a permanent situation?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Which begs the questions, do you see the club moving any of their minor league affiliates to AZ anytime soon, particularly Lynchburg or is that a permanent situation?
    The high A team will not be going to Arizona because there isn't a league there for High A. It will have to be in the Florida State League, Carolina League (where they are now) or the California League.

The rookie level team (not Billings) will play in the Arizona League this season.

I put my list together without giving it too much thought and it does not seem to let me go back and edit it but yes, Leake should be in the Carolina rotation, bumping Webb to the bullpen or back to Lynchburg. Boxberger should be a starter with Lynchburg, not a reliever.

The whole thing is just a guess of course. I would imagine that for each club, there are 15-18 players locked in and the other roster spots will be decided based on spring training, injuries, and related trickle down based on what Dusty does with the big club. We don't know who the 15-18 are and we sure don't know the rest.

Chapman, as some may know, is living in Florida with Dayton pitching coach Tony Fossas, a native of Cuba, and Fossas is a good person to put into a mentor role for a Spanish speaking player. No one has any idea what to expect from Chapman. He could make the big league club. He could go to spring training and start throwing like Nuke Laloosh before Crash Davis got to town. His performance will dictate his assignment. The Fossas connection leads to speculation that Chapman could start the year by making a couple of starts with Dayton to get his feet wet. On the other hand, they could just as easily just send Fossas to Carolina to stay with Chapman (ala Johnny Narron-Josh Hamilton) and send a different pitching coach to Dayton, like Bob Forsch. It will be interesting to watch.

Almost completely ignored has been the hires of former big leaguers David Bell, Tony Fossas, Bob Forsch and Delino DeShields by the Jocketty FO. There may be others. I like these moves. Ex big leaguers, so long as they're quality role models, will get the attention of kids trying to make it.

Here's a stab at it. I haven't made any corrections to it in a while, but this is about as close as I can get right now.
    Code:
    Pos	MLB		AAA		AA		A+		A		Rk		AZL
    C	Ramon Hernandez	Corky Miller	Devin Mesoraco	KevinCoddington	Mark Fleury	Trey Manz	Tucker Barnhart
    1B	Joey Votto	Yonder Alonso	Logan Parker	Kyle Day	Chris Richburg	Tom Nurre	Derrick Lowery
    2B	BrandonPhillips	Chris Valaika	Jake Kahaulelio	Alex Buchholz	Yen-Wen Kuo	Henry Rodriguez	Mauricio Pimentel
    3B	Scott Rolen	Todd Frazier	Eric Eymann	Nefi Soto	Carlos Mendez	Oliver Santos	Cristobal Rodriguez
    SS	Orlando Cabrera	Zack Cozart	Kris Negron	Miguel Rojas	Didi Gregorius	BillyHamilton	Junior Arias
    LF	WladimirBalentenJuan Francisco	Sean Danielson	Byron Wiley	Sean Conner	EfrainContreras	Theo Bowe
    CF	Drew Stubbs	Chris Heisey	Dave Sappelt	Josh Fellhauer	Alex Oliveras	YormanRodriguez	Juan Silva
    RF	Jay Bruce	Danny Dorn	Sean Henry	Justin Reed	Andrew Means	Carter Morrison	Juan Duran
    C	Ryan Hanigan	BrandonYarbroughJason Bour	Chris McMurray	Jordan Wideman	Danny Vicioso	Yovan Gonzalez
    C 			Chris Denove			Chase Weems		
    C 							
    1B 			Kevin West					Donald Lutz	Dave Stewart
    2B 	Aaron Miles	Miguel Cairo	Jose Castro	Jose Gualdron			John Dao	Jefry Sierra
    3B					Cody Puckett	Frank Pfister	Will Stramp	
    SS 	Paul Janish	Chris Burke			Shane Carlson		
    OF 	Chris Dickerson	Laynce Nix	Denis Phipps	Albert Laboy	Tony Brown	Josh Garton	Dayne Read
    OF 			Luis Terrero	Carson Kainer	Stephen Chapman			
    OF 			Josh Anderson					
    UT	Drew Sutton	Wilkin Castillo	Mike Griffin	Kevyn Feiner			Ryan Doran
    SP	Aaron Harang	Daryl Thompson	Mike Leake	Matt Fairel	Kyle Lotzkar	Harold Johnson	Jesus Adames
    SP	Bronson Arroyo	Travis Wood	Aroldis Chapman	Mark Serrano	J.C. Sulbaran	Daniel Tuttle	Mike Henry
    SP	Johnny Cueto	Sam LeCure	Jeremy Horst	Lance Janke	EvanHildenbrandtBlair Carson	Ricky Bowen
    SP	Homer Bailey	Matt Klinker	Dallas Buck	Travis Webb	Oscar Castro	Tim Crabbe	Nick Christiani
    SP	Matt Maloney	Justin Lehr	Scott Carroll	Josh Ravin	Tyler Cline	Luca Panerati	Jake Wiley
    SP	Edinson Volquez*Jordan Smith	James Avery	Curtis Partch	Tzu-Kai Chiu	Chase Ware	Adian Kummet
    RP	FranciscoCorderoPedro Viola	Sean Watson	Mace Thurman	Brad Boxberger	Brian Pearl	Jamie Walczak
    RP	Nick Masset	EnerioDelRosarioRuben Medina	JordanHotchkiss	PedroVillarreal	Nate Driessen	Jason Braun
    RP	Jared Burton	Logan Ondrusek	Ramon Geronimo	Aguido Gonzalez	Doug Salinas	Marcos Molina	Forest Cannon
    RP	Micah Owings	Carlos Fisher	Phil Valiquette	Scott Gaffney	Justin Freeman	Junior Martinez	Mike Konstanty
    RP	Arthur Rhodes	Lee Tabor	Derrik Lutz	Drew Bowman	Mike Bohana	MatteoPizziconi	Po-Cheng Chi
    RP	DanielRayHerreraJoe Krebs	Terrell Young	Donnie Joseph	EzequielInfante	Mitch Clarke	Arshwin Asjes
    RP	Mike Lincoln	Bill Bray	Misael DeJesus	Jeff Jeffords	Josh Beal	Stephen Smith	
    RP	Ben Jukich#	Federico Baez	Luis Montano	Steve Otterness	Hector Santana	Raul Rodriguez	
    RP			Chad Reineke	Tom Cochran			Justin Walker		
    RP			Jesus Delgado	Alex Smit				
    RP			Jon Adkins
    RP			Jose Arredondo*
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 02-10-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added Herrera and demoted Bray

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    I put my list together without giving it too much thought and it does not seem to let me go back and edit it but yes, Leake should be in the Carolina rotation, bumping Webb to the bullpen or back to Lynchburg. Boxberger should be a starter with Lynchburg, not a reliever.

The whole thing is just a guess of course. I would imagine that for each club, there are 15-18 players locked in and the other roster spots will be decided based on spring training, injuries, and related trickle down based on what Dusty does with the big club. We don't know who the 15-18 are and we sure don't know the rest.
    While that last part may be true and we all know someone almost always lands somewhere unexpectedly every year I think yours is about how the majority would see it (with the Leake/Boxberger corrections).
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Cam you missed Danny Ray Herrera.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Nice work, golf. Those pitching staffs seem especially impressive, although, through injuries, they're almost never what they promise to be. In particular, I have doubts that the Dayton rotation will materialize as it appears it could. Lotzkar and Hildrenbrandt are of course coming off injuries, so I suppose there's no telling when they'll be available. I'd be surprised to see Cline start out there, but I guess it's conceivable.

We're all aware of the depth at shortstop, but the string of center fielders stands out as well. There's not a non-prospect in the bunch.

It's hard to imagine the rookie-through-AA teams being as non-competitive as they were last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Cam you missed Danny Ray Herrera.
    Thanks. I meant to put him up with the Reds when I heard that Bray had an option left.

Turn Off Ads?