Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How bout Gomes?

How bout Gomes?

Hit safely in each game he's played with the big club. Just hit an RBI single in the first as I type this. Great to see him bringing a relatively hot bat with a little pop to this lineup. I would love to see him and Nix platoon exclusively.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Votto = MVP

Re: How bout Gomes?

Quote Originally Posted by xavr1 View Post
    Hit safely in each game he's played with the big club. Just hit an RBI single in the first as I type this. Great to see him bringing a relatively hot bat with a little pop to this lineup. I would love to see him and Nix platoon exclusively.
    That's what I've been calling for. I feel that would be a very productive LF.
    2009 Attendance Record: 7-2

Along with Adam Rosales, I love the shot of adrenalin he's giving this club.

I'd rather see McDonald out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty623 View Post
    I'd rather see McDonald out there.
    So would the National League.

It really should not be a surprise as there was a reason a lot of people (myself included) were saying the guy needed to be up with the Reds. He could provide a real productive platoon with he and Nix. Throw in Dickerson as a replacement for Taveras or Bruce once in a while, and you've got a solid outfield.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I'm with you Brutus! I have been calling for Gomes to come pick this club up for a while. Actually, when he was sent down after his Spring, I could not believe it. After I watched opening day with McDonald looking sloppy, I still couldn't believe it, and then finally the call up. Took a bit, but he's here and contributing a lot.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Should have been here all along it looks. He is a lift from the RH side but let's remember he is no .280 hitter
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Should have been here all along it looks. He is a lift from the RH side but let's remember he is no .280 hitter
    Of course not. That's not why he should be here. He's got more pop than most of the roster. That's the reason he needed to be up. The Reds don't have a lot of guys that can come up with two runners on late in the game, down by a run or two, but can pop a 3-run homer or a bases clearing double. He's the kind of guy that can and will.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Nice sliding catch by Gomes there in the 8th vs. Houston.

All I have to say is we will see how people feel about Gomes when he goes through his first slump, hopefully nobody from this particular thread will be putting him on blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_RedsFan View Post
    All I have to say is we will see how people feel about Gomes when he goes through his first slump, hopefully nobody from this particular thread will be putting him on blast.
    I will never be one of those people. I already know what to expect from him.

* Moderate to low batting average
    * Prone to high amount of strikeouts
    * Won't play every day because he struggles against some good right-handers
    * Will hit some homers
    * Typically hits a lot of line drives

I'm on record as saying these things in other threads. My hopes for him are not as a savior, but merely a solid right-handed bat off the bench and to platoon against lefties. He's a good enough hitter to play every day, but his numbers will hover only slightly above average if a team chooses to do that.

Either way, he'll go through a slump. But at the end of the day, I have a good idea what to expect out of him.

Dude Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I will never be one of those people. I already know what to expect from him.

* Moderate to low batting average
    * Prone to high amount of strikeouts
    * Won't play every day because he struggles against some good right-handers
    * Will hit some homers
    * Typically hits a lot of line drives

I'm on record as saying these things in other threads. My hopes for him are not as a savior, but merely a solid right-handed bat off the bench and to platoon against lefties. He's a good enough hitter to play every day, but his numbers will hover only slightly above average if a team chooses to do that.

Either way, he'll go through a slump. But at the end of the day, I have a good idea what to expect out of him.

Good post. For a minute there, I thought I was going to have to bring this thread back to reality.

I'm all for Gomes being up here too, but let's be honest.......there's a reason he got let go in Tampa, and he's like a career .230 hitter or something. My reason for liking him, is he does have experience and he has some pop in his bat. Other than Owings, it seemed like we had little coming off the bench that could hit us a dinger if we needed it in a pinch.

Again, good reality post.

No one is saying he is the next Eric Davis. As I have said in other threads since the beginning of the season, though, I think he is the best LF option we have and is the most proven of the lot. No, he will not win a batting title. No, he will not hit 40 HRs. And no, he is not this offense's savior.

But come on guys...he is a much better option than Chris Dickerson (you see him flailing at those curveballs today like a little leaguer?) and Darnell McDonald (no comment necessary).

No one is saying he is the next Eric Davis. As I have said in other threads since the beginning of the season, though, I think he is the best LF option we have and is the most proven of the lot. No, he will not win a batting title. No, he will not hit 40 HRs. And no, he is not this offense's savior.

But come on guys...he is a much better option than Chris Dickerson (you see him flailing at those curveballs today like a little leaguer?) and Darnell McDonald (no comment necessary).
    The balls he chased after today, at least later in the game, were hard splitters. He did go after a couple of Wandy's breaking balls, but those are tough pitches to hit as a lefty.

To be honest, I've been very impressed with Dickerson the last two weeks. Since he got benched, he's provided some real, solid professional at-bats. He's shown more patience and has not been just hacking aimlessly. I do, as you mention, prefer Gomes over he and McDonald by far, but Dickerson has been looking much better since deferring to Nix in the lineup.

Next to Votto, Dickerson actually leads the team in pitches seen per plate appearance. He and Nix both have done a good job with that.

Turn Off Ads?