Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In Defense of the WBC

In Defense of the WBC

Good morning, Reds fans.

I come to you today with a confession: I'm very excited about the World Baseball Classic. However, from my daily lurking on this website, I sense that but a scant few of you share my feelings!

If I were asked point blank to name my favorite sporting event, I think I would have a hard time saying anything but the World Cup. There's something about professionals putting aside financial loyalties to play under the banner of their home country that gets people very emotionally invested.

I suppose the primary question of this post is two-fold:

1. Why does everyone dislike the WBC so much?

2. Why does it garner so little media attention?
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

2. Likes:

ATL Reds Fan (02-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: In Defense of the WBC

Quote Originally Posted by elfmanvt07 View Post
    Good morning, Reds fans.

I come to you today with a confession: I'm very excited about the World Baseball Classic. However, from my daily lurking on this website, I sense that but a scant few of you share my feelings!

If I were asked point blank to name my favorite sporting event, I think I would have a hard time saying anything but the World Cup. There's something about professionals putting aside financial loyalties to play under the banner of their home country that gets people very emotionally invested.

I suppose the primary question of this post is two-fold:

1. Why does everyone dislike the WBC so much?

2. Why does it garner so little media attention?
    1. I like it but I get why others don't. I think they believe it takes away from ST and an important player could get hurt. I know Cueto isn't playing but what if he blew out his arm giving it his all in the WBC for the DR when he could have been pacing himself in ST for the Reds? Most of these players are going to go all out for their country and they may not be ready to go all out.

2. It's still kind of new and I think a lot of people believe it's contrived. The U.S. doesn't have a natural superiority like it does in basketball so the media is less likely to be all U.S.A! U.S.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

5. Likes:

coachpipe (02-22-2013),marcshoe (02-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    1. I like it but I get why others don't. I think they believe it takes away from ST and an important player could get hurt. I know Cueto isn't playing but what if he blew out his arm giving it his all in the WBC for the DR when he could have been pacing himself in ST for the Reds? Most of these players are going to go all out for their country and they may not be ready to go all out.

2. It's still kind of new and I think a lot of people believe it's contrived. The U.S. doesn't have a natural superiority like it does in basketball so the media is less likely to be all U.S.A! U.S.A.
    The physical toll that a pitcher would take on is certainly more than a position player, so I understand reservations about them. But, position players are gonna be playing games anyway.

I would expect the US media to eventually give as much coverage as the World Cup receives, but up to now what we're seeing is well below that.

It's manufactured and distributed without full cooperation of MLB for one thing, it's at an incredibly bad time and baseball is not nearly played at the same level around the world making most contests nothing more than a AA game at best

I too love the WC, this however is to the WC what the Ken doll is to GI Joe, a neutered simile

8. Likes:

cincinnati chili (03-01-2013),coachpipe (02-22-2013),Red in Chicago (02-22-2013),remdog (03-02-2013)

I've said it before. I love the WBC. It's baseball, and it's on TV. That's good enough for me.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

10. Likes:

jimbo (02-22-2013),marcshoe (02-23-2013),RadfordVA (02-22-2013)

It has to start somewhere. As baseball has evolved over a Century and a half, so too will this, because baseball is becoming more and more global. MLB will evolve into something we don't recognize. For those that slam it i say that is your opinion, by my perspective is we are on the ground floor of something our great grandkids may just love.

I like it, and I hope it gets better, with more support from MLB. I'd prefer to see it take place say around the All Star Break, but it is going to take time, trial and error anda larger fanbase. Eventually I see this happening.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

12. Likes:

RadfordVA (02-22-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (02-22-2013)

I love it. I also realize it isn't exactly catered to fans in United States. It means a lot more to other countries whose best players have to leave and play in another country so the can realize their dreams. Similar to the way majority of fans feel about soccer here. A lot of people get really into the world cup but lose interest in league play because the best leagues are overseas. I would certainly rather watch it than spring training games.

Quote Originally Posted by elfmanvt07 View Post
    The physical toll that a pitcher would take on is certainly more than a position player, so I understand reservations about them. But, position players are gonna be playing games anyway.
    Sure, but if a position player tears his ACL running the bases or stepping in a gopher hole in the OF and sprains or breaks an ankle, that's not a good thing. They don't usually treat these games like exhibitions. Instead of playing an inning or 3, they are going to play all 9 innings. Maybe not every game but if you're Canada playing Votto as much as possible gives you your best chance of winning.

I am OK with Votto playing in the WBC. He'll get some ABs against some decent pitchers and they will probably be eliminated well before the finals.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I'm a big fan of the WBC and will be watching as many games as I can! The games are much more interesting than spring training games and it's a great opportunity to see players from the Asian markets that we don't normally get to see. The games in the later rounds are usually really good ones - if you can find the final fro 09 between Japan and Korea, watch it. Great baseball game.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

16. Likes:

marcshoe (02-23-2013)

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I'm actually pretty excited for the WBC.

I'm just not excited to watch Reds players in it...
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

I like it and I think the "injury concern factor" is kind of overblown a bit.

I am a huge fan of USA Baseball, but have not been able to really get into the WBS format yet. I live near Cary NC where the USA headquarters and go see the collegiate national team every year and those are my fav games. I guess maybe timing of WBC is what gets me, I am really into seeing how my team is coming along during ST and dont focus on the WBC much. If it was after MLB season I think I would def get into it more, or even during dogdays of the regualr season with minor league players/prospects. I guess I like the small time feel of the collegiate games or even the prospect USA team.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I think the WBC is a great idea, especially with the expanded field for qualifying. It raises baseball's visibility around the World. If baseball can catch on in countries beyond the core countries it's played in today, it will expand the talent pool and make the game better.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I think the WBC is a great idea, especially with the expanded field for qualifying. It raises baseball's visibility around the World. If baseball can catch on in countries beyond the core countries it's played in today, it will expand the talent pool and make the game better.
    I was actually unaware of this until recently. Needless to say, some of the hats the WBC is selling in its online store are from nations not exactly known for their baseball prowess. (I'm looking at you, Great Britain)

For me, the problem with the WBC is that winning is a pretty meaningless thing. I could give a flip if the US wins or not. Nobody in their right mind is going to argue that mlb isn't the best baseball in the world.

Therefore the WBC is actually less compelling than spring training games which actually may factor in shaping your team's roster.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

23. Likes:

remdog (03-02-2013)

Turn Off Ads?