Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

Re: Shin Soo-Choo on playing CF

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    Shin Soo-Choo is a product of his culture. Saying something like "I expect to get to the level..." would be considered extreme braggadocio.

In searching the net for quotes from him, I found very few, and they all had a humble bent. About the most boastful you are going to find from him is this quote prior to 2012:

"My career, every year has been better, better, better. This year (2011), I was at the bottom. So next year, I can only go up. Maybe it won’t be stressful. I’ll just be able to play. I’ll get healthy in the offseason and then next year come back and then just play. I’ll show them I’m healthy and I can still play.”

Even that quote is very humble. Also, do not read into the "then someone else will play center field" as an expectation that he will then play right.
    I think it may be just as accurate to interpret it to mean the far more humble, "On a team as talented as the Reds, I will have to earn my position on the field."
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Maybe he hasn't received this year's approved book of cliches'.

My wife, who is Korean, said that Choo's statements were so typical of the things Korean athletes usuallly say that they could essentially be considered part of the KOREAN approved book of cliches.

So, this one is a big fat "move along......Nothing to see here."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    Spot on.

My wife, who is Korean, said that Choo's statements were so typical of the things Korean athletes usuallly say that they could essentially be considered part of the KOREAN approved book of cliches.

So, this one is a big fat "move along......Nothing to see here."
    I agree. As someone that lived in Japan and visited Korea at length, saying I will do my best is usually done in a very firm, confident manner that exudes enthusiasm that is lost in the translation.

That said, knowing Choo's play in right field in Cleveland, I was skeptical of his ability to play center. I am sure he has some reservations.
    Last edited by Bill; 02-12-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    I think you can cross number 2 of the list... the Reds didn't change the pen that much in the offseason - plus LeCure emerged nicely in the postseason.

I agree on the other 4... a friend at work is afraid Votto will never be the same.
    So, when Broxton or Marshall need a day off, who gets the late innings? They did change it a lot. They moved Chapman to the rotation and lost the best they had.

I think Hoover has promise as the third guy for the late innings, but he may not even make the team. Leake, Ondrusek, Arredondo, Parra, Lecure. If one is injured there is still Simon. Those are all guys who are 11th or 12th men. There isn't a guy I'd want in high leverage situations in the bunch. The Reds would be better served making room for Hoover and Cingrani in the pen and losing some of the interchangable mediocrity. Keep Leake as the 6th starter, Parra as a Loogy, Lecure to see if he contnues to improve and just one of the others in AAA or on the phantom DL as depth.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So, when Broxton or Marshall need a day off, who gets the late innings? They did change it a lot. They moved Chapman to the rotation and lost the best they had.

I think Hoover has promise as the third guy for the late innings, but he may not even make the team. Leake, Ondrusek, Arredondo, Parra, Lecure. If one is injured there is still Simon. Those are all guys who are 11th or 12th men. There isn't a guy I'd want in high leverage situations in the bunch. The Reds would be better served making room for Hoover and Cingrani in the pen and losing some of the interchangable mediocrity. Keep Leake as the 6th starter, Parra as a Loogy, Lecure to see if he contnues to improve and just one of the others in AAA or on the phantom DL as depth.
    Arredondo, LeCure and Simon combined for an ERA of 2.91 with 8.8 strikeouts per 9 innings. A lot of teams would KILL to have guys like that for their high leverage situations, much less as back ups to their true high leverage guys.

From Mark Sheldon:

"I have a new spot. It's not comfortable for me," Choo said. "Cincinnati gave up two good players for me and it was a tough decision. I'm here and will play the best I can and work hard in center field. I will do extra defense work. Dusty and the coaches will have to make the decision."
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Arredondo, LeCure and Simon combined for an ERA of 2.91 with 8.8 strikeouts per 9 innings. A lot of teams would KILL to have guys like that for their high leverage situations, much less as back ups to their true high leverage guys.
    What % chance do you put on a repeat? I'd say Simon and Arredondo are 4.50 ERAs waiting to happen. Lecure deserves a shot at being something more than the mop-up guy, but that's a long way from counting on him for the 8th inning mix.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I mean the guy arrived early to spring training and refused to play for the Korean team in the WBC so he could get to know his new teammates and new position. Let the season start and see how he does before we worry about it.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    That's more like it. I am really hoping Choo can play average defense in center this year so Bruce can stay in right for his whole career.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Told ya.

Nothing to worry about AT ALL concerning Choo's attitude. He is a gamer.

I've been having my wife translate every Korean news article about him and all the quotes by him for the past 2.5 years (I've been hoping he'd come to lead off for the Reds for that long! ) and he just exudes the kind of character you want on your team.

part of BBN

I loved this line from the article & quote from BA on Choo :

No pitcher on the Reds is more pleased to have Choo as a teammate than Arroyo. Lifetime against Arroyo, Choo is 8-for-14 (.571) with four home runs and seven RBIs.

"When I walked in today, I told him 'you just made my ERA go down by at least half a point,'" Arroyo said with a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I just feel he should do all he can to make it happen. He almost seems defeated before he starts. "If they’re not (happy), somebody else will be playing in center field." That doesn't seem like he has his heart in it and is very confident that it will get done. I do question if this perception could be caused by translation issues. I would just expect more of a quote of, "I have played 99% of my major league games in right, but I have been working every day in centerfield since the trade and I have seen good progress. I expect to get to the level my coaches are comfortable with by the end of spring training and I can't wait to play in centerfield on Opening Day."

I agree with what you are saying for the most part, and not to downgrade his honesty....but where are they just going to "find someone else to play CF" ??
    It's not like you can just find one anywhere.....and if you cannot, then where are you going to play? I guess he already thinks that Bruce will be the backup plan....so why sweat it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I agree with what you are saying for the most part, and not to downgrade his honesty....but where are they just going to "find someone else to play CF" ??
    It's not like you can just find one anywhere.....and if you cannot, then where are you going to play? I guess he already thinks that Bruce will be the backup plan....so why sweat it?
    I'm not sure how you could read the entirety of this thread and come to the conclusion that Choo is simply taking a laissez-faire attitude about the whole thing.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm not sure how you could read the entirety of this thread and come to the conclusion that Choo is simply taking a laissez-faire attitude about the whole thing.
    I did not read the whole thread. I responded to one quote, without reading further....specifically the cultural difference in how the quotes might be interpreted. To say that they can just get someone else to play there...can be interpreted as that to me.

Didn't want to start new thread. My question is how has he looked in cf so far?

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    Didn't want to start new thread. My question is how has he looked in cf so far?
    According to Hal McCoy, Choo will have no problems in center.

Fear not about center field and the leadoff spot. Shin-Soo Choo can handle center field with no mussing, fussing or cussing and he can certainly handle the leadoff spot. He is going to be on base often and with the hitters behind him he’ll probably score 100 runs.
    Last edited by texasdave; 03-12-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Turn Off Ads?