Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: A Little More From Joey V

Re: A Little More From Joey V

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post

I also give Joey a pass on most baseball things that happen around this time of year because early August is when his dad died in 2008 and you just never forget things like that. He'll get past it like he's been doing every year since then but I'm sure August isn't an easy time for him and his family.
    I understand where you are coming with this and all, but the whole depression thing with Votto is something that will just rile the trolls up and give them more illogical ammunition.

2. Likes:

Larkin Fan (08-07-2013),Tom Servo (08-07-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

We need a little more from everybody, it's not not any one guy, let alone our best guy.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    No one does.
    Wasn't Sure because Because It Is Such A Flawed Statistic That So Many Don't Understand.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Wasn't Sure because Because It Is Such A Flawed Statistic That So Many Don't Understand.
    Guys driving runners in is a Good Thing.

The idea that you can determine if a player is having a good year or not based on something so out of his control is what bothers me.

If Joey doesn't drive in 100+ guys this year there is going to be a sizable population of fandom that think he underperformed.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I understand where you are coming with this and all, but the whole depression thing with Votto is something that will just rile the trolls up and give them more illogical ammunition.
    I wasn't trying to do anything but post my opinion and I never said he was depressed (you can still be affected by sad things w/o becoming depressed). I guess I'm not allowed to have a heart around here either. That goes along well with the knowledge that I'm not supposed to be optimistic or positive about things anymore. I should start making a list. *sigh*

Go Reds this afternoon. *back to lurking*
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Put Joe Magrane in the Marty Brennaman camp when it comes to Votto. The MLB Network color analyst said as much when Votto came up in a bases-loaded situation last inning vs. OAK.

Ted Williams was also one to not swing at pitches he didn't like early in the count.

Ted Williams forgot more about hitting then Marty has ever known.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I don't think it has to be that. Votto is one of a few players in the lineup (Phillips and Frazier) who I think can preform better, as well as LF when Ludwick returns.
    If I am the manager, I am looking at BP and the Toddfather before Votto. Sure, his numbers could be a tad more heroic, I suppose... but is it really fair to wait for a 1.000 OPS given the rarity of that number in MLB?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Nm
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Agreed... vottos mental lapses on defense this season has me concerned. I wish he would be more ready to hit as well, like he used to. It seems he's more ready to take a pitch rather than hit one. I miss his aggressive first pitch swing if the ball is fat and hittable.

14. Likes:

CoachBombay (08-13-2013)

I wish Joey Votto would serve me breakfast in bed, do my laundry, cook me his family's recipe of Poutine and then hit .379/.490/.650 everyday

That would be awesome

16. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-07-2013),tomnuetten (08-07-2013),WrongVerb (08-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    a ball hit 10 rows deep and a ball hit down the line arent even close to the same thing..but please continue....

I said votto should show a little more effort on D...does that mean he gets those balls and makes those plays? Nope.. But atleast show the effort on a ball that close to where you Could stop it and potentially slow it down enough to not go all the way in the corner.

A little effort for some of those balls is all I want to see damn..is showing effort to much to ask for you guys here?
    No one faults you for wanting to see more effort if you see it lacking. The fault(if there is one) lies in what you interpret as a lack of effort.

If Votto should have dove for the ball, why not Phillips? I mean just because it was out of his reach anyway doesn't preclude him from showing a little effort right.

Also, it should be noted that just like sliding doesn't get you to a base sooner, diving doesn't necessarily get you closer to a ball. That isn't to say that there aren't times to dive and/or slide and/or leap for balls otherwise out of your reach. Just saying that diving for a ball you can't reach otherwise doesn't equate to giving better effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I wish Joey Votto would serve me breakfast in bed, do my laundry, cook me his family's recipe of Poutine and then hit .379/.490/.650 everyday

That would be awesome
    Heck, even if Joey did all those things, some of these guys would still think it wasn't enough and that he needed to do more. Absolutely mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

If Votto should have dove for the ball, why not Phillips? I mean just because it was out of his reach anyway doesn't preclude him from showing a little effort right.
    Cozart should be dove for the ball. Heck, why didn't Ludwick dive for the ball (and don't use the excuse that he is on the DL and wan't in the game-he could have still dove for the ball! )
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Cozart should be dove for the ball. Heck, why didn't Ludwick dive for the ball (and don't use the excuse that he is on the DL and wan't in the game-he could have still dove for the ball! )
    Why didn't Bruce, Mesoraco, or even Latos dive for that ball as well? Surely, one of them would have gotten it.

Turn Off Ads?