Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marvin to Bengals: Changes must happen, or I'm gone

Re: Marvin to Bengals: Changes must happen, or I'm gone

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Billick fits the desperate HC candidate to a T!
    Yes, he does.

And, where I used to like him a lot, I grew to really question his decision-making his last couple of seasons. Though, he could still out-coach Marvin.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post

A lot of the player character issues seem to now point back to Daddy Warbucks, who is like the father of spoiled children that frustrates the mother trying to do the right thing and continually getting undermined by the permissive parent's unwilling to discipline the children and let them get away with bad behavior under the guise of being a generous person.
    Great analogy.

Mom's finally taking the rolling-pin to dad's head.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Expected that.

And, Marvin may choose the peace, tranquility and respect he can get by going back to College. He's certainly earned it after working for Mike Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Expected that.

And, Marvin may choose the peace, tranquility and respect he can get by going back to College. He's certainly earned it after working for Mike Brown.
    They can have him

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    They can have him
    Who exactaly do you think is going to replace him? No high quality coach is going to come here and work for this organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Who exactaly do you think is going to replace him? No high quality coach is going to come here and work for this organization.
    That's my biggest holdup.

I'm no Marvin supporter but things can be much, much worse. The grass is not always greener and that's certainly the case when Mike Brown is in charge of picking the new lawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Yep.

Those that complain about Lewis: you won't find better. At least not to come work for this organization.

Given what he has to work with, and given that Mike Brown still has all the ultimate say, Lewis did as good a job in Cincinnati as one could expect. Cincinnati won't lure any top candidates for the job because of the reputation of ownership and lack of control over personnel.

So given that, letting Lewis walk would not be wise IMHO.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    That's my biggest holdup.

I'm no Marvin supporter but things can be much, much worse. The grass is not always greener and that's certainly the case when Mike Brown is in charge of picking the new lawn.

Unfortunately, I think this will be it for the rest of the Brown era, however long it lasts.
    I think Lewis was about the last chance of the Mike Brown-era Bengals to retain a consistent level of winning and respect (not win one year, even next year, lose next year, win next year). Once Lewis moves on - and I am quite certain he will - expect the miserable 1990s to be repeated.

This is a smart move by Lewis. He has a chance to make himself not look the bad guy, and for everyone's opinion of Brown to stay the same (basically, sort of allowing Mike Brown to save face). I expect Lewis to be gone, Zimmerman to be gone a couple of years after that and so on and so on and so on and so on. About the only recognizable face in the franchise for the next couple of years could be Palmer, the shell of his former self.

Mike Brown is viewed by everyone in the NFL as a complete joke. Marvin certainly isn't hurting himself by saying what everyone already knows.

You never know. Mike changed a tiny bit when he hired Marvin, maybe he'll make some more changes to keep him around. The Bengals certainly could do much worse, and probably will if Lewis goes.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Good luck Marvin. He stayed on this ship as long as he could. Now jump the hell out before the iceberg hits.

I'm guessing Brian Billick; maybe the Atl OC, possibly Zimmer or Hue Jackson. No matter who comes, it's pointless if Brat is still the OC. I'd be more impressed with Marvin's complaints if it included a new OC

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm guessing Brian Billick; maybe the Atl OC, possibly Zimmer or Hue Jackson. No matter who comes, it's pointless if Brat is still the OC. I'd be more impressed with Marvin's complaints if it included a new OC
    You can probably add Jim More Jr. to that list as well. Maybe even dust off some old favorites like Jim Fassel or Steve Marriuci. There are a lot of guys out there with head coaching experience that might jump for what Brown is offering (even if it is a dead-end job with little chance of success -- ego is a funny thing).

Reality is, though, that the Bengals (or any team) would be silly to bring in a coach from off the streets with the possibility existing that a labor dispute would wipe out all OTAs for 2011. If there's a lockout, an "outside hire" might not even meet with his team until a week or two before the season begins. Their best move, likely, is to retain Lewis or promote Zimmer.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I hope UC never allows the Bengals to use their new outdoor practice facility. When UC approached Brown about playing some games at PBS, he gave them an outrageous price, and wanted 50% of the consession sales and everything else.

Screw him.
    I'm fine with letting the Bengals use it for practice. My price would start at $10K per hour and not the $300/hr they charged Miami, however. I'd also make the Bengals schedule around all the UC sports and intra-murals who use the facility. Oh, and you get to pay UC Parking just like everyone else does while you're using it. kthxbai.

But yeah, screw him.
    Last edited by paintmered; 01-02-2011 at 09:49 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    However Marvin has been telling Brown this for a few years now, hence why he didn't sign the extension after winning coach of the year. He just started going public on the situation recently to save face with potential job offers.
    I get it, but its still silly to come out and demand changes when you are likely going to be fired anyways.

If he had made the comments after Mikey tried to sign him to an extension, there would have likely been more fan support which may have aided Marvin and Mike both getting what they wanted.

I'd be perfectly happy with Brian Billick, but as Boss said in the other thread, he is going to want more control than SoP is willing to give.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Marvin Lewis has 0 playoff wins in 8 seasons here. With the roster Lewis had, the Bengals should have not only made the playoffs, but win a game in the playoffs. Instead, we go 4-12.

Marvin Lewis needs to be held responsible for this disaster of a season. Brown, despite all his faults, gave Lewis a team that could be successful. Marvin failed miserably.

I think I am ready for a change.

Turn Off Ads?