Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which CF could be signed or traded for to help the leadoff spot??

Which CF could be signed or traded for to help the leadoff spot??

I found this list for outfielders... not sure how updated it is..As far as Free Agents, If the Reds want a stop gap till Billy Hamilton is ready, from the list, Could the Reds sign GradySizemore for a cheap deal since he needs to prove he is ready again and Healthy? Or say try another player that could move to LF if Ludwick doesnt come back : Pagan/Ross or Victorino?

Or say the Reds are feeling Hamilton isnt going to see the MLB team till 2015, then could go after Upton/Josh Hamilton or Bourne. Could they sign Ichiro for a season as a stop gap batting Leadoff before Billy gets to the Reds? he is 39 but still has the speed and arm as well as a bat..

Now if they would rather trade for a CF, Why not Fowler from the Rockies. Stubbs and Leake for him or the same deal for Gardner of the Yankees? He is a CF playing the wrong position with the Yankees.

Another CF that maybe could be had, is Young from the D-Backs!..??

Just curious others take on this. I do not see Stubbs a Red in 2013..

FREE AGENT LIST
    Left fielders
    Travis Buck (29)
    Melky Cabrera (28)
    Jonny Gomes (32)
    Scott Hairston (33)
    Josh Hamilton (32)
    Eric Hinske (35)
    Reed Johnson (36)
    Andruw Jones (36)
    Austin Kearns (33)
    Carlos Lee (37)
    Ryan Ludwick (34) - $5MM mutual option for 2013 with a $500K buyout
    Darnell McDonald (34)
    Juan Pierre (35)
    Juan Rivera (34) - $4MM club option for 2013 with a $500K buyout
    Drew Sutton (30)
    Delmon Young (27)

Center fielders
    Alfredo Amezaga (35)
    Rick Ankiel (33)
    Michael Bourn (30)
    Curtis Granderson (32) - $15MM club option with a $2MM buyout
    Scott Hairston (33)
    Mitch Maier (31)
    Angel Pagan (31)
    Cody Ross (32)
    Grady Sizemore (30)
    B.J. Upton (28)
    Shane Victorino (32)

Right fielders
    Brian Bixler (30)
    Travis Buck (29)
    Matt Diaz (35)
    Kosuke Fukudome (36)
    Torii Hunter (37)
    Andruw Jones (36)
    Xavier Nady (34)
    Cody Ross (32)
    Ichiro Suzuki (39)
    Nick Swisher (32)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which CF could be signed or traded for to help the leadoff spot??

Money wise I would sign Melky Cabrera to a one year deal to hold the spot for Billy Hamilton. He will have a chip on his shoulder wanting to prove he can hit without the juice, our park would interest him greatly to do that and he is going to be forced into a low money deal which fits us nice.

He's only 28, can switch hit and hold the same OBP vs RHP and LHP and by getting him on an incentive base contract to rebuild his name it allows us to put money into other parts of the team rather than throwing money at a Victorino or Bourn to get some name value.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfansince72 View Post
    I found this list for outfielders... not sure how updated it is..As far as Free Agents, If the Reds want a stop gap till Billy Hamilton is ready, from the list, Could the Reds sign GradySizemore for a cheap deal since he needs to prove he is ready again and Healthy? Or say try another player that could move to LF if Ludwick doesnt come back : Pagan/Ross or Victorino?

Or say the Reds are feeling Hamilton isnt going to see the MLB team till 2015, then could go after Upton/Josh Hamilton or Bourne. Could they sign Ichiro for a season as a stop gap batting Leadoff before Billy gets to the Reds? he is 39 but still has the speed and arm as well as a bat..

Now if they would rather trade for a CF, Why not Fowler from the Rockies. Stubbs and Leake for him or the same deal for Gardner of the Yankees? He is a CF playing the wrong position with the Yankees.

Another CF that maybe could be had, is Young from the D-Backs!..??

Just curious others take on this. I do not see Stubbs a Red in 2013..

FREE AGENT LIST
    Left fielders
    Travis Buck (29)
    Melky Cabrera (28)
    Jonny Gomes (32)
    Scott Hairston (33)
    Josh Hamilton (32)
    Eric Hinske (35)
    Reed Johnson (36)
    Andruw Jones (36)
    Austin Kearns (33)
    Carlos Lee (37)
    Darnell McDonald (34)
    Juan Pierre (35)
    Drew Sutton (30)
    Delmon Young (27)

Center fielders
    Alfredo Amezaga (35)
    Rick Ankiel (33)
    Michael Bourn (30)
    Curtis Granderson (32) - $15MM club option with a $2MM buyout
    Scott Hairston (33)
    Mitch Maier (31)
    Angel Pagan (31)
    Cody Ross (32)
    Grady Sizemore (30)
    B.J. Upton (28)
    Shane Victorino (32)

Right fielders
    Brian Bixler (30)
    Travis Buck (29)
    Matt Diaz (35)
    Kosuke Fukudome (36)
    Torii Hunter (37)
    Andruw Jones (36)
    Xavier Nady (34)
    Cody Ross (32)
    Ichiro Suzuki (39)
    Nick Swisher (32)

It's a really interesting situation. First off, Hamilton isn't 2015. He's more like 2014 at the latest. I probably expect him to be called up during September.

But regarding the leadoff hole. There's options. Ichiro is interesting, he's a veteran, still has speed, and has shown to rejuvenate his stats by playing in a smaller park like Yankee Stadium. That said he's aging, and he might want to stick with the Yankees if they offer him a deal. I just fear he might end up being a another Willey Traveras, Corey Patterson, Miguel Ciaro, Scott Rolen, Wilson Valdez, in a vet whose past his prime as is wasting a roster spot.

Sizemore is interesting. Playing fully healthy, and in GABP can easily spot him a potential monster season. That said, he's a question mark health wise, and we don't know what Grady Sizemore we will get in the long run.

Fowler, Choo are awesome lead off trade candidates. But they would probably require a top pitching prospect, or hamilton, so I guess that's out of reach.

I personally am a fan of signing Melky on the cheap, and see if he can replicate his monster season he was having with the giants (i'm leaning towards a yes tbh).

Having a reliable leadoff guy, or reliable bat in CF will be huge for this offense. We need table setters, and Stubbs performance was just abysmal this year. He was equivalent to 2 automatic outs with him and the pitcher in the lineup. Having table setters for Votto to knock in will really allow our offense to get over it's current hump imo.
    Last edited by RedTruck; 10-14-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    Money wise I would sign Melky Cabrera to a one year deal to hold the spot for Billy Hamilton. He will have a chip on his shoulder wanting to prove he can hit without the juice, our park would interest him greatly to do that and he is going to be forced into a low money deal which fits us nice.

He's only 28, can switch hit and hold the same OBP vs RHP and LHP and by getting him on an incentive base contract to rebuild his name it allows us to put money into other parts of the team rather than throwing money at a Victorino or Bourn to get some name value.
    I really think Melky will be the same Melky from last year. I just have that gut feeling. We probably won't sign him though, but for whatever team he does sign for I accept him to hit big numbers again.

I just don't think PED can affect that big of a jump of his performance. At the end of the day he still has great speed, and plays solid defense. Worst case scenario we end up with another drew stubbs (which i really doubt), but on the upside there is much potential with Melky..and relatively cheap as well...

One more note, I hope the Reds are smart and sign Johnny Gomes to improve there bench.

Johnny had a great year with the A's, .262 batting avg, 18 Home Runs, 47 RBI's. Playing in that huge a's stadium.

Plus i love his energy and vigor. An he's a fan favorite as well.

Trade Stubbs for Lorenzo Cain....he's a better CF and I think a lefty.

The Royals have 3 unbelievable defensive CF. Dyson might be the best in baseball.....none of them play full time.

We cannot give Dusty the Stubbs option. He can't handle it.

Why not play Chris Heisey?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Why not play Chris Heisey?
    Because his OBP Is just .003 points better than Stubbs despite hitting .018 points better. He would be an upgrade offensively but a microscopic one.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    Because his OBP Is just .003 points better than Stubbs despite hitting .018 points better. He would be an upgrade offensively but a microscopic one.
    Here are Stubbs' numbers as a starter this year....the top numbers Attachment 6345

Here are Heisey's as a starter this year...the top numbersAttachment 6346

Few think Heisey should get north of 350 AB.....not sure why anyone would think Stubbs should get 550 barring injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Here are Stubbs' numbers as a starter this year....the top numbers Attachment 6345

Here are Heisey's as a starter this year...the top numbersAttachment 6346
    I still don't understand why Heisey sat and Stubbs played. I understand Stubbs has speed and Dusty liked him better defensively, but was it worth the trade off for the sheer horrible offensive production of Stubbs?
    I've said all winter — they talk about this team winning the division — and my comment is, they won't win it because, at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up. - Marty Brennaman

Quote Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
    I still don't understand why Heisey sat and Stubbs played. I understand Stubbs has speed and Dusty liked him better defensively, but was it worth the trade off for the sheer horrible offensive production of Stubbs?
    Fast

Stubbs gets to first in 3.72....whereas Heisey takes 3.88

There are only about 20 CF around baseball as good as Stubbs defensively making him uber elite.

I wish Dusty knew Hamilton was even faster.

2 more players i forgot to add. Nate MClouth(free agent) and Denard Span..(possible trade).

I know many said Melky Cabrera. but he isnt really a leadoff type in my opinion. He would be better batting 4th being a switch hitter. just my thoughts

Pagan or Michael Bourn are my faves

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Heisey gets hand picked starts and had a .315 OBP as a starter, he's nice to have PH off the bench and get a spot start but isn't the CF answer.

Turn Off Ads?