Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Utah Soccer referee punched by player dies

Re: Utah Soccer referee punched by player dies

15 years, paroled after 10 or so sounds about right.

Tangentially related:
    Apparently there's this new game urban youths are now playing called the knockout game. Basically the game is to walk up to an unsuspecting person and punch them in the face and try to knock them out with one punch. An elderly man in St. Louis died from this recently. Apparently the game is most popular in Chicago and St. Louis.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soc..._a11&eref=sihp

Homicide by assault is a lesser charge than manslaughter. Maximum sentence is five years if tried as an adult. Less time if tried as a juvenile.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

If they try him as an adult and give him the maximum penalty he will likely spent less than three years in prison. Is that enough?
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    If they try him as an adult and give him the maximum penalty he will likely spent less than three years in prison. Is that enough?
    No.

6. Likes:

WMR (05-09-2013)

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    15 years, paroled after 10 or so sounds about right.

Tangentially related:
    Apparently there's this new game urban youths are now playing called the knockout game. Basically the game is to walk up to an unsuspecting person and punch them in the face and try to knock them out with one punch. An elderly man in St. Louis died from this recently. Apparently the game is most popular in Chicago and St. Louis.
    They just convicted the thug who Killed the elderly Vietnamese immigrant, and almost killed his wife. He won't being seeing the outside world for a very long time.

The more I think of this, the more disgusted I become. Luckily, my son is not involved in sports and if he were, I would honestly be hesitant to allow him to participate. The behavior I see and hear when I do happen upon a youth game is simply appalling, grandparents yelling derogatory comments about the opposing teams' kids, parents screaming for their kids to "take him out!", whatever that means, it makes me long for the sandlots of my youth, where kids organized games on their own.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

9. Likes:

Slyder (05-09-2013),texasdave (05-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    The more I think of this, the more disgusted I become. Luckily, my son is not involved in sports and if he were, I would honestly be hesitant to allow him to participate. The behavior I see and hear when I do happen upon a youth game is simply appalling, grandparents yelling derogatory comments about the opposing teams' kids, parents screaming for their kids to "take him out!", whatever that means, it makes me long for the sandlots of my youth, where kids organized games on their own.
    In the last year I had 2 altercations in parking lots. This is during the summer when I work travel ball and really this happens more so during the summer because the coaches/ parents can act however they want because there is no governing league that can discipline them for their behavior.

When confronted in the parking lot you have to drop the professionalism you had on the field and take care of your own safety. I have my mask in my hand and I won't hesitate to use it as a weapon. Thankfully in 16 years and approximately 1200 games I havent had to use it though numerous times I thought I was going to have to, but if the situation arises that I need to I wont hesitate to.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    In the last year I had 2 altercations in parking lots. This is during the summer when I work travel ball and really this happens more so during the summer because the coaches/ parents can act however they want because there is no governing league that can discipline them for their behavior.

When confronted in the parking lot you have to drop the professionalism you had on the field and take care of your own safety. I have my mask in my hand and I won't hesitate to use it as a weapon. Thankfully in 16 years and approximately 1200 games I havent had to use it though numerous times I thought I was going to have to, but if the situation arises that I need to I wont hesitate to.
    Sad that it comes to that George, but you are right.... you just don't know what some nutjob is going to do and you unfortunately need to be ready to protect yourself from it.

Turn Off Ads?