Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What the Renteria signing means for the SS depth

-The Insider-

What the Renteria signing means for the SS depth

So with Renteria signed, that puts Janish on the bench and destines Zach Cozart for Louisville. The big question is, what will happen to Valakia and Negron? Does Valakia play second? Does he bounce around the infield? And if he doesn't play second, does Negron play there or is he going to go back to Carolina? And if he does, does Miguel Rojel move to second? And if so, what happens to Kahaleulo?

A lot of questions that I honestly don't know the answers to.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What the Renteria signing means for the SS depth

In my eyes, one of these two scenarios is most likely:

Scenario 1:
    Louisville
    2B Chris Valaika
    SS Zack Cozart
    IF Kris Negron (or maybe Jake Kahaulelio instead with Negron playing 2B in Carolina)

Carolina
    2B Jake Kahaulelio
    SS Miguel Rojas
    IF Jose Castro

Scenario 2:
    Louisville
    2B Chris Valaika
    SS Zack Cozart
    IF minor league free agent?

Carolina
    2B Jake Kahaulelio
    SS Kris Negron
    IF Miguel Rojas

-The Insider-

Yes. I prefer the latter though. BUT, I still like Puckett at second. Not sure how much he played there last year though.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Yes. I prefer the latter though. BUT, I still like Puckett at second. Not sure how much he played there last year though.
    Oops. I forgot about Puckett. That complicates things. Carolina could really use a corner outfielder or two depending on what happens with Dave Cook and Kyle Day, so maybe that's where Puckett is slated.

-The Insider-

Yea, who knows at this point. Hell, maybe the Reds don't even know lol

I thought Valaika had very little chance to make the Reds club. Now I'd guess he has next to none. Bench guys are likely to be Cairo, the 2nd catcher, Heisey, Janish, Hermida (or Alonso or Francisco).

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I thought Valaika had very little chance to make the Reds club. Now I'd guess he has next to none. Bench guys are likely to be Cairo, the 2nd catcher, Heisey, Janish, Hermida (or Alonso or Francisco).
    Don't forget Gomes (presuming they will add a starting leadoff hitter/LF sometime before now and spring training).

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Don't forget Gomes (presuming they will add a starting leadoff hitter/LF sometime before now and spring training).
    Hopefully Lewis and not Posednik. I'd rather let Stubbs, Phillips and Renteria fight it out for the lead off spot than sacrifice power in LF for the likes of SP (I'm not that thrilled about the prospect of Lewis either, for that matter).

I'm still holding out vain hope that Walt can pull off a deal for a bat with power or at least a better leadoff option like Ellsbury.

Does anyone know what Phillips OBP was prior to getting hit in the hand or Stubbs' was the last two or three months of the season?
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-08-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Hopefully Lewis and not Posednik. I'd rather let Stubbs, Phillips and Renteria fight it out for the lead off spot than sacrifice power in LF for the likes of SP (I'm not that thrilled about the prospect of Lewis either, for that matter).

I'm still holding out vain hope that Walt can pull off a deal for a bat with power or at least a better leadoff option like Ellsbury.

Does anyone know what Phillips OBP was prior to getting hit in the hand or Stubbs' was the last two or three months of the season?
    I believe he got hit on the 25th of August against S.F. so up until that point his line was .290/.343/.458 for an OPS of .801 the bolded part being the OBP%.

Drew Stubbs July-October .275/.347/.500 for an OPS of .847.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I believe he got hit on the 25th of August against S.F. so up until that point his line was .290/.343/.458 for an OPS of .801 the bolded part being the OBP%.

Drew Stubbs July-October .275/.347/.500 for an OPS of .847.
    If both can come within 20 points of those obp, the Reds very well could score more runs this year than last. (And that's something I never thought I'd type.)

Turn Off Ads?