Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Will Stanton prove to be this year's version of Weathers in 2005

Will Stanton prove to be this year's version of Weathers in 2005

In early 2005, in his first year with the Reds, David Weathers struggled out of the gate. He turned it on in late May and has been strong for the Reds since.
    In 2005
    April 4.50 era
    May 5.02 era
    June 2.25 era
    Year 3.94 era 15 saves

So far Mike Stanton has has a similar tough going early.
    April 4.91 era
    May 5.56 era
    June 1.50 era

Since May 13, he has thrown 13.2 innings and given up only 2 earned runs. If you were to remove his two worst outings his era would be only 2.25. (I know you can't but it is a fun thing to do) His DIPS ERA is only 3.45 which would also indicate that he is underperforming. I know era is not the best indicator of performance for a reliever but I thought that the similarity gives hope that Stanton's recent success will continue.

Weathers 2005 game log
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...4718&year=2005

Stanton 2007 game log
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=2234

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Talkin' Baseball

Re: Will Stanton prove to be this year's version of Weathers in 2005

If you look at his splits going back the last 5 years, he has been terrible in May and July. Not surprising he had another bad May but also tells you that you can probably expect Bad Stanton again in July and then a good finish. I'd say 2 or 3 years is a fluke, but 5 is a definite trend.

Stanton won't be 2005 Weathers, because he's being 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006 Stanton.

dead arm periods? patterns of overuse?

Talkin' Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    dead arm periods? patterns of overuse?
    Probably just normal ebb & flow. Stanton is one of those guys who gives up runs in bunches and over the past few years he has typically done that in May and July. He tends to put together strings of scoreless outings and then hits skids where he can't get anybody out. I don't think you can point to any particular reason as to why it tends to happen in those months. I'm just saying it's par for the course with him.

Turn Off Ads?