Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Indiana set to hire Tom Crean

Re: Indiana set to hire Tom Crean

Hoosier Scoop has an Armon Bassett update.

A person with direct knowledge of the situation told me today that Armon Bassett is still hoping to stay at IU and play basketball. He expects to hear something this week about his status with the team. As we’ve been reporting, it appears as though his grades will have a major impact on whether he’s reinstated.

There have been reports on some message boards that Bassett has decided to leave Indiana and transfer to a nearby school. One report said he has already visited Cincinnati.

But I know his desire is still to play for the Hoosiers next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Is everyone Sampson recruited dysfunctional in some way?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Is everyone Sampson recruited dysfunctional in some way?
    It certainly looks that way, doesn't it? I really hope IU fans are patient with Crean. It is going to take awhile to turn around the train wreck Sampson left behind.

IU should be put on probation just for being stupid enough to hire Sampson in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    It certainly looks that way, doesn't it? I really hope IU fans are patient with Crean. It is going to take awhile to turn around the train wreck Sampson left behind.
    As overrated as he is, I'm sure they won't.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I wonder if Crean threatened to take his cell phone away?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    As overrated as he is, I'm sure they won't.
    Well, he won't be able to turn it around anyway since he's so overrated. So I guess it really doesn't matter.

looks like evryone is gone ... or at least most of them

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3378521

Bassett, Ellis, Thomas, Holman all leaving Hoosier program

By Andy Katz
    ESPN.com
    May 2, 2008, 1:10 PM ET

New Indiana coach Tom Crean will be down to three returning scholarship players and eight players in all for next season once the school officially announces the departures of four Hoosiers later Friday afternoon, a high-ranking Indiana source told ESPN.com.

Sophomore Armon Bassett and junior Jamarcus Ellis, who had appealed their suspensions by former interim coach Dan Dakich, were dismissed from the program. Junior forward DeAndre Thomas will also not return and neither will freshman Eli Holman, who has elected to transfer after a meeting Thursday that required a call to campus police when Holman became agitated.

The Hoosiers finished 25-7 (14-4 in the Big Ten) and lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament to Arkansas under Dakich. He replaced Kelvin Sampson after Sampson resigned in late February, a week after receiving a notice of allegations from the NCAA.

According to a number of NBA sources, Sampson could end up on Scott Skiles' staff with the Milwaukee Bucks next season.

Indiana lost freshman Eric Gordon to the NBA draft when he declared and signed with an agent and seniors D.J. White and Lance Stemler had exhausted their eligibility.

That leaves the Hoosiers with three returning players: rising sophomores Jordan Crawford, Brandon McGee and rising senior Kyle Taber. The Hoosiers will add five newcomers -- freshmen Nick Williams (a one-time Marquette signee), Tom Pritchard, Matt Roth and JC transfer Devon Dumes -- as well as recruited walk-on Daniel Moore of Carmel, Ind.

Bassett and Ellis appealed their suspensions and, after Crean spent time with the pair, there was still not enough support to reinstate them. Thomas was deemed not a good fit.

"Before you build a team, you need to develop a family," Crean said in a statement Friday. "We will go through the learning process, feel some growing pains and experience some bumps in the road along the way. We need the Hoosier Nation to rally around this program as we go through these stages."

Meanwhile, Holman's outburst Thursday upon telling Crean that he was leaving is considered closed. According to the source, Holman became agitated once Crean told Holman of the process for transferring. The source said Holman was yelling and stormed out of Crean's office. He picked up a plant on a nearby desk and tossed it.

Because he was yelling and angered, campus police were called. Statements were taken but no charges were filed. The incident will be sent to the Dean of Students and could hamper Holman's attempts to transfer.

"Last night and this morning I had the opportunity to apologize to Coach Crean and today I would like to extend that to everyone involved in the program for allowing my frustrations to get the best of me," Holman said in a statement issued by the university Friday. "I appreciate everything Indiana University and coach Crean have done for me and I hope nothing but the best for the program in the future."

The Hoosiers will lose five of their top six scorers from last season, with Crawford the top returning scorer at 9.7 points per game. Taber, McGee and Pritchard will be the only forwards unless more players are added in the coming weeks. The spring signing period is ongoing.

"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."

Looks like Coach Crean has decided to blow it up and make it his own. Good for him and good for the program.

Bassett and Ellis going will definitely make the team worse in the W/L column next year, but it will no doubt give the Hoosiers a fresh start. I figure it's going to be at least 2010-2011 before the Hoosiers have a real shot to compete. I wouldn't be so happy right now if I were a junior/senior at IUB.

Another decent get for Crean.

Verdell Jones commits.
    Now lets get a big man or 3.

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=1981
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Not a bad class for 2008 all things considered.

In other news, Eli Holman is going to Detroit Mercy to play for Ray McCallum.

Man IU would have been loaded this year if Sampson could've kept himself out of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Not a bad class for 2008 all things considered.

In other news, Eli Holman is going to Detroit Mercy to play for Ray McCallum.
    It's really not. I am verrrrry happy with everything that Crean has done so far. I am glad he upheld Dakich's decisions and I'm glad he's concerned about the academic performance of the kids. The more I see from Crean, the happier I am with the hiring.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?