Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/21/09 - Reds vs Phillies

Re: 5/21/09 - Reds vs Phillies

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Yeah, if you compare the lineups today and compare the pitchers, you have to wonder why the outcome was ever in doubt.
    To predict each starter's ERA at the end of the season, you can probably flip-flop the respective starter's ERA coming into today. Blanton's ERA will probably be around 3.95, and Owings @ 6.00.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wow, Owings already pulled. Ramirez gets the call here in the 4th.

Ramon Ramirez is in to replace Owings.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Wow. Blanton punks Rosales on 3 pitches. Anyone still think EE should be required to "take back" third from Rosales?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Yeah, if you compare the lineups today and compare the pitchers, you have to wonder why the outcome was ever in doubt.
    Because its MLB, and on a day to day basis, you just never know. Its why betting on baseball is just downright silly.

I wonder what that does to Saturday's starter? Bailey? Maloney? or someone else?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

So who pitches on Saturday night??

So if Volquez can't go Saturday, somebody new has to come from AAA. Bailey or Maloney. I'm guessing Maloney.

Who gets sent out? Could be Ramirez sent right back down to AAA. Or it could be Lincoln for some long toss DL time.

Or Volquez could just go on the DL to make room for the new guy.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I wonder what that does to Saturday's starter? Bailey? Maloney? or someone else?
    Harang

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Wow. Blanton punks Rosales on 3 pitches. Anyone still think EE should be required to "take back" third from Rosales?
    It's like choosing between a Dart and Gremlin. Me, I'll take someone altogether different at third.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

yes, in retrospect Dusty shouldn't have pitched him, but it's not the crime of the century.
    I'm not going to claim that today's outing is proof that Owings should have been rested. Philly's tough on anybody, especially a righty with borderline stuff like Owings has. But I will say that I am not surprised by what has happened.

My main objection is that the entire starting rotation could have been set up better from today through Saturday. And the BP could have been fortified by disabling Volquez and bringing up Fisher or another penner. They were short-staffed while Massett was hurt and still active, and they're right back to the same situation now because they're going to "wait and see" with Volquez. To me, it's a pattern of inaction, and I find it, if not the crime of the century, somewhat incriminating of the team's management.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Rosales is a great idea for a utility infielder, which he was projected all along. Daily, he just isn't good enough.

This seems most likely. He went into Dusty's office today after 2 pitches and said he couldn't go anymore.

Mr. Ramirez chucking strikes. Like the change in narrative.

So if Volquez can't go Saturday, somebody new has to come from AAA. Bailey or Maloney. I'm guessing Maloney.

Who gets sent out? Could be Ramirez sent right back down to AAA. Or it could be Lincoln for some long toss DL time.

Except that the Reds are apparently morally opposed to the DL.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?