Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

WV Red:

"I wonder how many people who feel the exact same way cried on the day that Michael Jackson died?"

I had exactly the same thought when this story broke. I'd spent a lot of time around the entertainment industry when I lived in LA and it was widely considered that Michael Jackson was a pedophile.

Now, incredibly he gets tributes. What a world.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Valid point. But, not mine.

The views of the victims might not make any sense to you, traderumor. Should that mean that their opinions should be instantly dismissed though?

This isn't about what happens to the people that are being held responsible. This is about making sure that the victims know that they're important. That, even though people didn't care enough about them before, that those victims feel, that they KNOW, that people care about them now. And not just by going after the perpetrators. They just want the university to hear them out. That's all. Considering what happened before when noone paid attention to them I don't understand why people would want to ignore them now.

The university is trying to clean up a big mess, to put it VERY mildly. If the board of trustees aren't willing to talk to the people that were victimized by their own employees then it's just another mistake that they're making. It's part of their job. It's called accountability. They might not want to face the music but they're gonna have to do it sooner or later. Facing the victims is part of the process. It's not enough for the accused to face the victims in court. The board of trustees need to face them too. Do it now and it can make things easier. Do it later and it can make things harder and costlier.
    Two Points:

1. The Board of Trustees' primary responsibility is to the institution and student body of Penn State as a whole, not just to the victims of abuse or the football fans. They have to make sure that Penn State continues to serve its primary purpose as an educational institution for those who came there for that reason. Would they have wanted to talk to the victims? Maybe, but we don't know. However, I think that there was a real concern that, with Paterno's stature as one of the most prominent faces of Penn State, they were put in an untenable situation. Had Paterno resigned on the spot and stayed out of the public eye, it would have been best for everyone involved. Once he came out and said he would stay till the end of the season and then rallied support at his home by leading a "We Are Penn State" chant, I think it showed that Paterno had no concept of how truly bad the situation was. As long as he remained head coach, it increased the likelihood that the scandal would directly impact campus life and would ensure that controversy would continue to increase with each week Paterno continued to sit in that press box. Furthermore, inaction could have resulted in those students who are disgusted by the whole situation gathering in protest of keeping him on, which in turn could bring violent incidents between Paterno supporters and those wanting to see him go. Firing him now may have upset some of the loonier Penn State football fans, but keeping him on could have been worse.

2. It's very possible that the BOT has more knowledge of what may be coming down the pike than we do right now. I'm sure they've been in touch with authorities and looking into things themselves. It may be that they might have found out more details on things we only hear as rumors now that led them to believe getting rid of Paterno and the President now was better than later.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    If you really want your head to explode, read the grand jury findings.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploa...resentment.pdf
    I got to page two and had to stop.
    His methods are so similar to what priest/pedophiles do- using their position as an authority figure to harvest new victims and relying on the trust the kids' parents intuitively give them. Except Sandusky added a new page to the man/boy love playbook; start an organization that find kids with no parents or family who will protect them.

I am actually nauseous right now.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I got to page two and had to stop.
    His methods are so similar to what priest/pedophiles do- using their position as an authority figure to harvest new victims and relying on the trust the kids' parents intuitively give them. Except Sandusky added a new page to the man/boy love playbook; start an organization that find kids with no parents or family who will protect them.

I am actually nauseous right now.
    And that is the issue I cannot get past.

Anyone that had even an inkling that Sandusky was a pedophile and knew he was running this organization cannot justify turning a blind eye. Not only did Penn State turn a blind eye, they continued to enable him by allowing him to continue his association with the university. And make no mistake about who was calling the shots in Happy Valley for the past 40 years.

The All-State commercial with the guy running around exposing his ding-a-ling to everybody is a little bit in poor taste considering what's going on. ESPN showing that commercial during breaks of their Penn State around the clock coverage.

I don't think I'll ever be able to think of the name "Happy Valley" in the same way I used to.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Its amazing the things that come out as time passes:

http://www.wyff4.com/r/29738465/detail.html

So Sandusky is still helping to recruit/evaluate HS players as recently as last spring. Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    And that is the issue I cannot get past.

Anyone that had even an inkling that Sandusky was a pedophile and knew he was running this organization cannot justify turning a blind eye. Not only did Penn State turn a blind eye, they continued to enable him by allowing him to continue his association with the university. And make no mistake about who was calling the shots in Happy Valley for the past 40 years.
    I think above everything else, the powers that be were most concerned with protecting the reputation of the university. And that's what makes this situation all the more disturbing.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AA5HW20111111

McQueary now placed on Administrative Leave.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    PSU is already losing recruits....

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...-cites-scandal

This scandal could decimate their football program for years.
    When every coach on staff who is recruiting you is going to get fired you probably will look elsewhere.
    Go Gators!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/...deouts_he.html

Penn State's deposed receivers coach Mike McQueary, today placed on what the school called "administrative leave," moments ago told his receivers on a brief conference call that he was in "protective custody" at a secluded location not in State College.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/...deouts_he.html

Penn State's deposed receivers coach Mike McQueary, today placed on what the school called "administrative leave," moments ago told his receivers on a brief conference call that he was in "protective custody" at a secluded location not in State College.
    Was he receiving threats from students, or was he more worried about winding up like Ray Gricar?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I made a post on here earlier in this thread about a former HS football coach here in PBurg who was accused of something similar to Sandusky (although a lot less serious allegations compared to what is going on at Penn State)

Found out today from somebody that this coach had a friend who worked for Penn State.

The friend?

Jerry Sandusky.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

http://pennstate.scout.com/2/1127554.html

Reports that Penn State receivers coach Mike McQueary is in protective custody are not accurate, according to a source close to the situation.

However, McQueary, who has been placed on administrative leave after he received threats rising from his role as a witness in the Jerry Sandusky scandal, did tell the Nittany Lion receivers he is not their coach, the source said.

The source said McQueary talked to the receivers via conference call Friday, and that he said graduate assistant Terrell Golden is their coach.

Penn State really is getting cutting edge, I tell you what.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/11/11/penn-s.../#.Tr3SSfKwVbE

Penn State's new President Rodney Erickson claims he's appointing an "Ethics Officer" to oversee campus officials in a renewed effort to make sure his people don't pull a Paterno.

It's unclear exactly what the new Ethics Officer's duties entail -- but Erickson just sent an email to the entire PSU community, claiming he plans to "revisit all standards, policies and programs to ensure they meet not only the law, but Penn State's standard."
    Seems nothing more than a cosmetic attempt to appeal to the outrage of the media.

Turn Off Ads?