Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking back at Krivsky 2006 draft

Re: Looking back at Krivsky 2006 draft

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    We will disagree on this point. To draft someone simply because they can contribute faster is poor decision making at its finest. If you think that player A can be a better player 5-6 years down the road, but that player B will reach the majors a year and a half faster, but only be 75% of the player A.... it would be extremely foolish to take player B. Chris Valaika did not appear to be overdrafted at the time, Watson I will give you, but there were rumors that he would have been taken later in the second round by a few other teams.... so he was not completely over drafted.
    Doug,
    The problem comes with trying to project guys who are a long ways off from the majors. Toolsy players with questions about their baseball skills miss their projections a lot more often than they hit them (see Pena, Wily Mo).

I'm certainly not advocating picking a player who is most likely a middle reliever over a potential ace just because the relief pitcher is closer to the majors. I'm saying that I would pick a pitcher who is LIKELY to be a #3 starter in two years over a pitcher who COULD be an ace in five years.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Looking back at Krivsky 2006 draft

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    Doug,
    The problem comes with trying to project guys who are a long ways off from the majors. Toolsy players with questions about their baseball skills miss their projections a lot more often than they hit them (see Pena, Wily Mo).

I'm certainly not advocating picking a player who is most likely a middle reliever over a potential ace just because the relief pitcher is closer to the majors. I'm saying that I would pick a pitcher who is LIKELY to be a #3 starter in two years over a pitcher who COULD be an ace in five years.
    There is a difference in drafting a toolsy guy who isnt much of a baseball player over a solid player who is close, but to take a guy who you think can be ready in a year rather than take a guy who you think will be better and ready in 2.5 years would be poor drafting in my mind.

Turn Off Ads?