Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The race for the 2008 #1 overall draft pick

The race for the 2008 #1 overall draft pick

I don't know about you guys, but if the Reds are going to stink it up and lose, then I want them to do it the right way: finish with the worst record in order to get that number one draft pick in the 2008 draft. A lot of folks (including me) will hate the fact that our Reds could finish with the worst record in baseball, however, it's better for the long-term if they do. Think of this - We already have two established major league starters (Harang and Arroyo) plus Homer Bailey who could be an ace as early as 2009. Matt Belisle is a formidible 5th starter. The bullpen has some young arms either in the majors or who are nearing the majors with good stuff. The offense has a solid young nucleas to build around (Encarnacion, Hamilton, Phillips) with two huge prospects on the way (Bruce and Votto). The Reds have some of the better trading chips on the trade market (Dunn and Griffey) who could net some big prospects. Scott Hatteberg, David Weathers, and Kyle Lohse could net a solid prospect or two.

Where I'm trying to get as is, the Reds aren't really that far off from contending IMO. With all the young talent they have now, adding a #1 overall pick type talent to the organization would be huge. I compare our situation this year to the Padres and Diamondbacks of a few years ago: All three teams were bad enough to finish with the worst record, yet had enough young and talented players both at the major league and minor league levels to contend the following season. I could see the Reds doing that next season, which is why I am rooting for the #1 overall pick.

With that said, who do I want at number one? Brian Matusz, a 6'4" 195 pound LHP from the University of San Diego. Matusz is similar to this year's number one overall pick David Price. Both are big, polished lefties with great stuff and the ability to move through the system quickly. This kid could be ready by sometime in 2009, which is around the time Homer Bailey should be putting it altogether. That could be a deadly 1-2 combo for years to come.

So here it is, the race for the 2008 number one overall pick:

Top five worst records:

1. Cincinnati Reds 31-51
    2. Washington Nationals 33-48, 2.5 GB
    3. Texas Rangers 33-47, 3.0 GB
    4. Tampa Bay Devil Rays 33-47, 3.0 GB
    5. Kansas City Royals 34-47, 3.0 GB
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 07-01-2007 at 04:24 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The race for the 2008 #1 overall draft pick

Lets win something for once!
    Go Gators!

very realistic at this point

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

They will blow it and get the #3 pick. Im calling it now.

I'll be surprised if we get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

If we end up with the number 1 pick, you won't have to worry about a holdout. They'll make sure it's someone the can sign before they take him (they might even have talent).

The other two contender -the Nationals and the Rangers might both win 10 more
    games than the Reds. I don't see how we can fail to not get the no#1 pick.

The Reds lost to fall to 20 games under .500. Washington won so the Reds increase their lead to 2.5 games.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They will blow it and get the #3 pick. Im calling it now.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

geez, something to look forward to

If you're cheering for the #1 pick you might want to hope Narron holds onto his job for a couple more months. We were in a similar situation back in 2005 when Miley got fired and the team rebounded under Narron. I can easily see this happening again. It seems that managerial shakeups tend to jump start underachieving teams.

We were in a similar situation back in 2005 when Miley got fired and the team rebounded under Narron. I can easily see this happening again.

and it cost the Reds a shot at Andrew Miller who Krivsky said they were very interested if he fell to them. If you are going to be bad, might as well be as bad as possible

We may mot have to get the #1 overall to get Matusz. I remember reading somewhere that the #1 draft prospect is a 3B whose name escapes me; Pedro something maybe? Somebody help me out.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    We may mot have to get the #1 overall to get Matusz. I remember reading somewhere that the #1 draft prospect is a 3B whose name escapes me; Pedro something maybe? Somebody help me out.
    Pedro Alvarez, 3B from Vanderbilt. But if I had the #1 pick I would choose Matusz.

If Homer starts figuring it out and Arroyo rebounds, we've got no shot at winning this thing.

Turn Off Ads?