Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1990 Nlcs

1990 Nlcs

Remember the throw that nailed Bobby Bonilla @ third? Who threw the ball, Eric Davis or Paul O'Neil?

This isn't a trivia question. I saw it reported that it was Davis and I seem to remember it being Paul. Now I'm confused.

Anyone?
    Last edited by MaineRed; 06-01-2007 at 12:32 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 1990 Nlcs

Hmm, ya got me, but I would have guessed Davis, from limited memory.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Remember the throw that nailed Bobby Bonilla @ third? Who threw the ball, Eric Davis or Paul O'Neil?

This isn't a trivia question. I saw it reported that it was Davis and I seem to remember it being Paul. Now I'm confused.

Anyone?
    I remember O'Neil nailing a runner at third but I thought the runner was Van Slyke.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Aaaaarrrrrrgggggg!!!!

Paul O'Neill made the throw. Van Slyke was the runner. That was one awesome throw and a great tag by Sabo.

Definitely O'Neill. I can still remember screaming (for joy) when they called him out.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Wasn't there also a play in the NLCS where ED came from LF to CF (backing up Hatcher) fielded the ball and spun to throw a strike to 3B to nail the runner (Bonillia possibly)?

I may be wrong but I was thinking both ED and O'Neill had spectacular throws to 3B.

The throw to get Bonilla at third by Davis was spectacular. Rijo was getting drilled in that inning, and Davis bailed him out with some help from Bonilla!

Both O'neill and Davis had great throws in 1990 NLCS. O'Neill's was in game two at home, and Davis' throw was in game 4 in Pittsburgh.
    Last edited by redhawkfish; 06-01-2007 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peyton's Place View Post
    Wasn't there also a play in the NLCS where ED came from LF to CF (backing up Hatcher) fielded the ball and spun to throw a strike to 3B to nail the runner (Bonillia possibly)?

I may be wrong but I was thinking both ED and O'Neill had spectacular throws to 3B.
    I think thats the one I was thinking of above^

Retrosheet says that it was Davis who threw out Bonilla.

oneill

Here is why I asked:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06012007...l_mushnick.htm

Since 1990, when the hideous, cool-over-function trend of jogging toward first or immodestly loitering near home plate in the often erroneous presumption the ball will land over the fence had fully set in, big-league games have been determined by inexcusably indifferent - make that insane - base running.

To this day, Reds OF Eric Davis is recalled for making a great throw to third to nail the Pirates' Bobby Bonilla, by a foot, in Game 4 of the 1990 NLCS. And that foot, and then some, was the result of Bonilla's failure to initially run hard, apparently thinking he had homered. The ball smacked off the wall and back toward the infield before Davis ran it down.

When Bonilla swung, there was one out in the eighth and the Bucs were down a game and a run. Bonilla should have been on third, one out. Pittsburgh would lose that game, 5-3, and the series in six. And what's regarded among the biggest plays in that series was the byproduct of a big leaguer's conditioned failure to adhere to Little League Rule No. 1: hit ball, run.

Bonilla never got his own message. In the years that followed, he remained disinclined to run after hitting a deep fly, continuing to look TV-highlights slick at the risk of appearing terribly foolish. Manny Ramirez, Rickey Henderson and Mike Piazza all cost their teams plenty, choosing not to run, but that never stopped them from not running.
    I thought the columnist was wrong so I was going to email him, but I thought I better ask Redszone first.

O'Neill threw out Andy Van Slyke in Game Two at Riverfront and Davis gunned down Bonilla at Three Rivers in Game Four after the ball eluded Billy Hatcher in centerfield.

it was definately Davis throwing out Bonilla. I watched Wire to Wire 100,000 times and that was my favorite part.

Biggest play of that series (for me) was Glenn Braggs robbing Carmelo Martinez of what would have been a game-tying home run. I can't remember what game it was in, maybe Game 6?

Turn Off Ads?