Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Devin Mesoraco update - and it's not looking good.

Re: Devin Mesoraco update - and it's not looking good.

I thought I read somewhere he had a wrist injury?
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I thought I read somewhere he had a wrist injury?
    Uh oh. I hope this isn't an early repeat of the "Drew Stubbs doesn't really suck, he just has a toe injury" excuse. Not saying Mesoraco is going to be a total bust like Stubbs. And as a high school draftee Mesoraco has plenty of time. But it's definitely not looking good right now. Krivsky is not looking like he has any clue how to manage the draft at this point.

Tim Lincecum agrees.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Uh oh. I hope this isn't an early repeat of the "Drew Stubbs doesn't really suck, he just has a toe injury" excuse. Not saying Mesoraco is going to be a total bust like Stubbs. And as a high school draftee Mesoraco has plenty of time. But it's definitely not looking good right now. Krivsky is not looking like he has any clue how to manage the draft at this point.

Tim Lincecum agrees.
    Drew Stubbs is a total bust at age 22?

Much less the dramatic improvements he has made since the All Star break? And Drew doesn't have an 'injury'. He has an injury. That injury is likely to require surgery in the offseason to fix it and he has been playing with it since last season.

Derek Jeter looked like a horrible pick after his stint in rookie ball... and he turned out fine.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

There are three certainties in life: death, taxes and DougDirt defending Stubbs anytime someone calls him a bust. How many times do we need to go over this? We have differing opinions. It's nothing personal. But this is about 5 times you have asked me something to the effect of, "A little early to call Stubbs a bust isn't it?"

No, I don't think it is. No offense. Again, wake me up when he is playing well at a level that corresponds with his draft status/age. Low A-ball just doesn't do it for me for a guy who was a top 10 pick last year. Tim Lincecum thinks we should drop this conversation and move on to something a little more debateable... like Skyline or GoldStar?

I dont see the point is calling draft picks bust so quickly myself

If I'm not mistaken, Jay Bruce struggled his first year in rookie ball. I know he wasn't tearing it up, that's for sure.

A recent high school graduate, I'm not worried. We'll see where he's at in a year.

The only struggle that I can recollect Jay Bruce enduring his first year was an 0-4 or 0-5 night with all outs by K. He displayed power hitting from the start. Joey Votto started out 0-30 in the GCL his first pro year, but he eventually went on a tear. Mesoraco's lack of power is not a good sign. Remember, most of the pitchers in this league never even get to low A ball - look at the Reds rosters for some of the past years. I hope that this year is merely a reflection of Mesoraco's adjustment to pro ball and, after a winter of hard work, he will be ready to put 2007 behind him. Even if he doesn't improve much in 2008, I'm still willing to give him a flyer until mid-2009 (he's only 18 after all), so long as he is healthy.

There are three certainties in life: death, taxes and DougDirt defending Stubbs anytime someone calls him a bust. How many times do we need to go over this? We have differing opinions. It's nothing personal. But this is about 5 times you have asked me something to the effect of, "A little early to call Stubbs a bust isn't it?"

No, I don't think it is. No offense. Again, wake me up when he is playing well at a level that corresponds with his draft status/age. Low A-ball just doesn't do it for me for a guy who was a top 10 pick last year. Tim Lincecum thinks we should drop this conversation and move on to something a little more debateable... like Skyline or GoldStar?
    Doug is right and you are wrong, at least today. Draft picks are not ready made propositions, and on the day he was drafted no one believed that Stubbs was close. The pick was universally hated on this board. But if you cant see the obvious progress that Drew has made this year, then you are letting your opinion get in the way of fact. Talk about competition level, excuses, whatever you want but you can not deny that he is making progress. He is not a bust, at least yet.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

As far as Mesoraco goes, catchers come around very slowly. He will do well to be in the bigs by 2011-2012.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Becuase calling a 22 year old a bust is ridiculous.

Again tell me how it is his fault that the Reds start almost every single one of their draft picks at the lowest level reasonably possible. I promise you if Drew were in another system he would have at the lowest started in High A somewhere and probably be playing in AA right now. The Reds have some real funny ways of dealing with their players.

For the 1 millionth time, what does Tim Lincecum have anything to do with the future of Drew Stubbs? Oh, nothing at all? Then please stop bringing it up.

Skyline, but both are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Doug is right and you are wrong, at least today. Draft picks are not ready made propositions, and on the day he was drafted no one believed that Stubbs was close. The pick was universally hated on this board. But if you cant see the obvious progress that Drew has made this year, then you are letting your opinion get in the way of fact. Talk about competition level, excuses, whatever you want but you can not deny that he is making progress. He is not a bust, at least yet.
    Progress? If he wasn't at least "making progress" in Low A at this point, then he wouldn't even be close to the discussion of Cincy's future.

Hopefully he proves us wrong but I don't think anyone can be too excited about what he has done up to this point. If you are, then you are just letting his draft position blind you.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Becuase calling a 22 year old a bust is ridiculous.

Again tell me how it is his fault that the Reds start almost every single one of their draft picks at the lowest level reasonably possible. I promise you if Drew were in another system he would have at the lowest started in High A somewhere and probably be playing in AA right now. The Reds have some real funny ways of dealing with their players.

For the 1 millionth time, what does Tim Lincecum have anything to do with the future of Drew Stubbs? Oh, nothing at all? Then please stop bringing it up.

Skyline, but both are pretty good.
    Do you truly believe that he'd be in AA? Why would anyone have him there when he has shown very little in Low A at this point? Do you think that he plays to the level of his competition?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Do you truly believe that he'd be in AA? Why would anyone have him there when he has shown very little in Low A at this point? Do you think that he plays to the level of his competition?
    Well I imagine the same type of season for Drew regardless of whether he were in low or high A honestly this season. Most teams, after posting a .950 OPS over the last two months would have pushed him up a level to AA to give him at least a little taste for next season.

As for what Stubbs has done in low A at this point being 'very little', I will disagree to a large degree. A CF with his numbers is very promising outside of his June.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well I imagine the same type of season for Drew regardless of whether he were in low or high A honestly this season. Most teams, after posting a .950 OPS over the last two months would have pushed him up a level to AA to give him at least a little taste for next season.

As for what Stubbs has done in low A at this point being 'very little', I will disagree to a large degree. A CF with his numbers is very promising outside of his June.
    Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Progress? If he wasn't at least "making progress" in Low A at this point, then he wouldn't even be close to the discussion of Cincy's future.

Hopefully he proves us wrong but I don't think anyone can be too excited about what he has done up to this point. If you are, then you are just letting his draft position blind you.
    Being blind to his stats, is being blind. I never stated I was doing cartwheels over him at any point. But I get sick of people wanting to throw him down a rat hole. Stubbs in not a bust, and should be given space and opportunity. He is leading the league in runs scored by a margin of 10.

Turn Off Ads?