Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 NBA Offseason News

Re: 2013 NBA Offseason News

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    The organization as a whole, primarily upstairs, isn't exactly a bedrock of honesty and candidness, but I think that often gets more credit than it's due. That said Paul Allen and Larry Miller are not particularly likeable folks.

I have little doubt that there's some truth to Ziegler's accusations, but to think Portland wasn't considering the long-game in dealing with Roy's knees seems silly. Was he rushed back on demand of management for the 2011 playoffs? Hard to say. But it would be unspeakably foolish for an organization a year into a max contract to rush the star player back at peril of his future.

Allen and Miller have made some tremendously stupid moves, usually from a PR standpoint, but the team was built around Roy, to the point of input in moves, and that amount of influence and respect leave it hard for me to believe he wanted to leave town so badly as to retire.
    I don't have any direct information about his disdain for the Blazers front office and it is perfectly possible that his retirement was entirely clear of any of my insinuations. But, they are on their 4th GM in a the last two years, running off Pritchard and Rich Cho (who both have jobs as GM's again) and their owner is mercurial to say the least. They hired an entirely new assistant coaching staff (the loss of Monty Williams was huge).

It is all circumstantial of course, so I am most likely wrong.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I don't have any direct information about his disdain for the Blazers front office and it is perfectly possible that his retirement was entirely clear of any of my insinuations. But, they are on their 4th GM in a the last two years, running off Pritchard and Rich Cho (who both have jobs as GM's again) and their owner is mercurial to say the least. They hired an entirely new assistant coaching staff (the loss of Monty Williams was huge).

It is all circumstantial of course, so I am most likely wrong.
    I totally get what you're saying, and it's undoubtedly true. It's a dysfunctional organization and it starts at the very top, but, I guess all I'm saying is the Roy/City of Portland relationship was akin to a Barry Larkin and Cincinnati (yes, I realize how that turned out) or a Bernie Kosar and Cleveland type deal, where a player is the city's athletic identity. Roy got the credit for dragging the Blazers back to relevance.

Here's hoping Hibbert ends up in Portland. I think it would be overpaying him, but four years of a Top 6-7 NBA Center is something I'm willing to see my team spend some cash on.

Still have a long way to go though. The Lillard and, to a lesser extent, Barton picks have me excited about the rookies. Leonard's a wild card as far as I'm concerned.

News before Independence Day:

The Celtics look to have signed Jason Terry to a three-year deal. Nice sixth man there. Wonder if that means Ray Allen is done in BeanTown?

Phoenix looks like the leader for Goran Dragic and will pay him pretty big money.

Landry Fields is probably headed to Toronto for around $7 million per year. Huge overpay, but strategic move by the Raptors, as it hurts the Knicks with Steve Nash, whom Toronto wants desperately.

Jeremy Lin might move on to Houston to play PG. He's being courted today and tomorrow.

Nets ink Spanish League star, Mirza Teletovic, a PF, to their full mid-level exemption. (Which would theoretically mean Howard becomes impossible to afford.)

Like Terry as a player, but I wonder how much he has left. Looks to me like he's going to be the sixth man with Bradley starting alongside Rondo. Bye bye, Ray Allen. (IMO) If Jeff Green re-signs (which looks probable), that team looks solid, with a very good first six player, plus the youth of Sullinger, Melo, and JuJuan Johnson.

I think they need a true backup center (Siemsma?) and another power forward (one of Houston's castoffs?) and they'll be ready to challenge for the Eastern Conference Crown yet again.

I wasn't talking about the city, more the organization.

http://zigsports.wordpress.com/2012/...what-happened/
    What I found so confusing about this article was that this would seem to be one of the areas where a team with a deep pocketed owner could excel. It's not like the training staff is part of the salary cap. I hope I am wrong about the Roy thing, because Blazer fans are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Landry Fields is probably headed to Toronto for around $7 million per year. Huge overpay, but strategic move by the Raptors, as it hurts the Knicks with Steve Nash, whom Toronto wants desperately.

Jeremy Lin might move on to Houston to play PG.
    Knicks will match on Lin ... Not on Fields. Toronto overpaid.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Knicks will match on Lin ... Not on Fields. Toronto overpaid.
    Jalen Rose joked that Jeremy Lin better not get more millions than games played.

What I found so confusing about this article was that this would seem to be one of the areas where a team with a deep pocketed owner could excel. It's not like the training staff is part of the salary cap. I hope I am wrong about the Roy thing, because Blazer fans are great.
    Don't try to understand Paul Allen. There's no use, you'll just end up with a headache. Just know that he used to own the world's largest yacht; so big it had its own helipad.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Don't try to understand Paul Allen. There's no use, you'll just end up with a headache. Just know that he used to own the world's largest yacht; so big it had its own helipad.
    And then my man Roman Abramovich bought one with a missile defense system and a sub.
    Last edited by improbus; 07-03-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Deron back to Brooklyn.

5 years, $100 mil

What's funny is that the NBA offseason often seems way more popular than the season itself. Maybe it is because most NBA seasons produce a predictable end and the offseason transactions are often unpredictable, but it is a strange phenomenon.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

The Rockets withdrew their qualifying offer to swingman Courtney Lee, making him an unrestricted free agent.

The Rockets withdrew their offer because had he accepted, because according to beat writer Jonathan Feigen it would have taken them out of the running for Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik, and long-shot Eric Gordon. Goran Dragic isn't getting any cheaper, either. Yahoo! Sports' Marc Spears reports that Lee is getting interest from the Clippers, Pacers, Bulls, Mavs and Wizards, as he has become a hot name in a short amount of time -- the antithesis to inefficient, one-dimensional free agents like Jamal Crawford and Nick Young.

Source: Marc Stein on Twitter
    Granted, Morey appears to have a clue, but I really question this.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Hmm, The Wolves need to go after him now

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingdw...74&feedID=8351

Good stuff here. Looks like Batum is done with Portland

part of BBN

What's funny is that the NBA offseason often seems way more popular than the season itself. Maybe it is because most NBA seasons produce a predictable end and the offseason transactions are often unpredictable, but it is a strange phenomenon.
    Well said.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

The Phoenix Suns have agreed to extend a 4-year maximum offer sheet worth $58 million to New Orleans Hornets restricted free agent guard Eric Gordon, according to ESPN.com and the Arizona Republic.

The offer sheet cannot be officially signed until July 11, after the NBA's 10-day moratorium is complete. The Hornets will then have three days to match the offer, which they are expected to do.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Turn Off Ads?