Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, my W-2 arrived today...

So, my W-2 arrived today...

...and since I've already received my interest statements, etc., I guess it's time to file the ole 1040 and get my $3 back.

I've lucked out the last few years: haven't had to pay a lot, but OTOH I haven't received any big refunds either.

Just wondering who here files right away in order to spend your refund? Who waits until the last second? Anyone here drive it your return up to the Post Office at 11:30pm on 4/15??
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Re: So, my W-2 arrived today...

If i have to pay, even $0.01, i won't mail it until the night of the 15th. Otherwise, i file soon just to get it over with. (I actually e-filed last Thursday).
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I think if you have a refund coming, common sense says you should file ASAP. You could be using that money or investing it rather that letting it sit with the government. On the other hand, wait until the last day if you have to pay. No sense in letting the government have an interest free loan. They're already getting that from the people who wait to file and have a refund coming.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I wait until 4/15.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive View Post
    ...and since I've already received my interest statements, etc., I guess it's time to file the ole 1040 and get my $3 back.

I've lucked out the last few years: haven't had to pay a lot, but OTOH I haven't received any big refunds either.

Just wondering who here files right away in order to spend your refund? Who waits until the last second? Anyone here drive it your return up to the Post Office at 11:30pm on 4/15??
    Sounds like you have your witholdings figured just about right. You don't want to get a big refund (because you just loaned your money to the government without getting any interest for it). OTOH if have too little witheld you might get forced into quarterly payments and you most definatley want to avoid that.

But as others have posted, if I am getting a refund the taxes go in as early as possible. If I owe, they are sent out at the last minute.

For a Level Playing Field

I file ASAP with the feds and state b/c I get a refund. My city has a 2.5% income tax (where I work it is 2.125%, so I owe the city); therefore, I wait until April 15 to pay the difference.

Part of the refund will be spent on the new REDS jersey.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I e-filed my S-Corp's 1120S last week. Still waiting for my bank and broker info to do my 1040.

If I have a refund coming, I'll request just a part of it and roll over the rest for next year's taxes. That way I don't have the hassle of estimated taxes every quarter.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I filed about 3 days ago, I like to get it out of the way early. Unfortunately I owe the great commonwealth of kentucky about a Benjamin.

The federal money WILL be paying for a new Reds jersey, now I just gotta figure out who to get that will be here for a while. I will not get Pokey Reesed again!

3 dependents - but my wife made some more money this year than I remembered.

Should get a little back.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I always file it ASAP so I can work up that darn FAFSA for my kids in college, plus the refund always helps.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Who files taxes?

Resist the machine!

University of Cincinnati

How do I get my W-2 from a company I quit from at the end of May of 2006? Is it possible I already got it before this month?
    THE University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Who files taxes?

Resist the machine!
    Enjoy prison
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by beb30 View Post
    How do I get my W-2 from a company I quit from at the end of May of 2006? Is it possible I already got it before this month?
    Isn't it the law that W-2s have to go out on or by 1/31? Also, make sure that former company knows your address (if you moved).
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Enjoy prison
    even al capone couldn't avoid it

Turn Off Ads?