Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Re: Shin-soo Choo?

Jason Kipnis ‏@TheJK_Kid

Cincy... You're not gonna find two better teammates then the ones you just traded for. #choo #donald
    Walt doesn't miss on this front.

Choo could do major damage in GAB. He hits high fly balls to left much the way Votto does.

May be wishful thinking, but something is telling me Walt has a hunch he has a chance to keep Choo in Cincy, Boras or no Boras.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ken Rosenthal‏@Ken_Rosenthal

#Reds badly wanted another LH bat. Choo fills that need and career .381 OBP makes him well-suited to lead off. Center field? We shall see.

Is it possible Choo will actually be better or equal in CF than he was in RF? He has some solid speed, able to steal 20+ bases multiple times. Aside from the dead centerfield line drive, balls in CF are easier to read than RF. Without a lot of ground to cover at GABP, seems to me like he should be fine in CF, but I haven't watched him play RF much.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    At his age, there isn't likely room for big improvements. You pretty much are what you are at age 27.
    Nah, not when you were a rookie at 26. He'll improve. Not saying he'll vastly improve, but he'll improve. I'd go "big stakes" on you and do a sig bet if you're game. Cozart will improve on his 2012 numbers in 2013.

The guy just seems like one of those players that gets better every time he repeats a level. I like that he was a star three-sport athlete in high school too. shows me he's a natural athlete. Makes sense why he's shown steady improvement throughout his professional career.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    The stakes rise on 2013. Hopefully this new version of the BRM doesn't have their 1971 right after 2012's 1970.
    2011 was the 1971 to the 2010.

At least that's how I rationalize it.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    If I had to choose between Cozart and Didi, I'd probably choose the latter. Younger, and better defensively.
    I think nearly everyone on this board would rather have kept DiDi over Cozart but that would not have produced Choo being on a serious World Series caliber team.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Nah, not when you were a rookie at 26. He'll improve. Not saying he'll vastly improve, but he'll improve. I'd go "big stakes" on you and do a sig bet if you're game. Cozart will improve on his 2012 numbers in 2013.

The guy just seems like one of those players that gets better every time he repeats a level. I like that he was a star three-sport athlete in high school too. shows me he's a natural athlete. Makes sense why he's shown steady improvement throughout his professional career.
    There is a reason that he was a 26 year old rookie.

My expectations for 2013 just went through the roof. It's a weird feeling indeed.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

There are late-bloomers, Doug. Chris Sabo won Rookie of the Year at 26.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I show career OBP of .338, and 2012 OBP of .318 with an OPS of .605. Since this is the last full season and he is 30, it carries some weight. The one year rental does not really bother me. I concede that he is an offensive upgrade, but I am uncomfortable with a "serviceable" replacement in CF. Hopefully, this is an indication that the Reds see Hamilton as close. If the Reds also get Sipp, it is a much better trade. A second LHP out of the pen is needed, especially if Chapman makes the transition successfully.
    I believe Cingrani will start the season as the 2nd lefty out of the pen. Chapman may start the season in the pen too to limit his earlt-season innings.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Was it also Broussard for Brantley?
    Broussard for Branyan. Then Cleveland traded Broussard to Seattle for Choo.

Reds win deal.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

At his age, there isn't likely room for big improvements. You pretty much are what you are at age 27.
    True. But holding steady at where he was last season...still fine with me low in the order and playing VERY steady defense.

Choo-choo!! I'm flabbergasted. Go Walt. I couldn't be happier with this deal, and I got to use the word flabbergasted. Twice.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    There are late-bloomers, Doug. Chris Sabo won Rookie of the Year at 26.
    Yeah, and he also found steroids*

*allegedly

For every Chris Sabo who was a late bloomer, how many guys weren't? A metric ton.

Not trying to pick on you Doug, but it wasn't more than a year or two ago you were singing Cozart's praises.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?