Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald for Drew Stubbs and Didi Gregorious

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Shin-soo Choo?

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I believe Cingrani will start the season as the 2nd lefty out of the pen. Chapman may start the season in the pen too to limit his earlt-season innings.
    Where is there room in the pen for Cingrani without an injury? I don't see any spots even close to being open.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Hamilton, Cingrani, Corcino, Stephenson?
    Probably Hamilton, Stephenson, Cingrani and Corcino if we're going in order.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Reds are in such a great situation now. By July they'll have several options and a lot more visibility:

If Hamilton looks like he is the real deal, the Reds can shop Ryan Ludwick while negotiating with Shin-Soo Choo. Or they can let Choo walk (after making a qualifying offer of course to pick up the draft picks).

If Hamilton looks like he will not be ready for primetime in 2014 or after, the Reds can attempt to engage Choo in long-term talks. If he walks, collect the picks. If he signs, you could shop Hamilton or Ludwick.

Hell maybe Cozart sucks, Hamilton looks great and the Reds can re-sign Choo and move Hamilton back to SS- who knows?

Either way, great job Walt and great job Reds. Can't wait for ST!
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-11-2012 at 09:56 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I mean, are we really complaining about the one weak bat in our lineup that still provides offensive pop and great defense?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yeah, and he also found steroids*

*allegedly

For every Chris Sabo who was a late bloomer, how many guys weren't? A metric ton.
    Your premise is that a guy who was 26 during his rookie year won't improve in future seasons. That's an absolutely false premise. I won't be able to prove it for a while, but I'll prove it. I'll remind you of this when you turn out to be wrong about Zack Cozart. To pretend as if he won't improve on his rookie numbers is extremely naive of you Doug. I would expect more. He will improve. What are your stakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    No wonder Bowden loves this deal- it's exactly one that he would have made, with trading for a bat and plugging him into a position he has seldom played.

I really love the idea of Choo leading off; not sure at all he can play CF. That leaves the Reds OF with: Choo, Bruce, Ludwick, Heisey and Paul. Does Heisey get traded away for a guy who is better defensively in CF? Paul played corner spots last year, if I recall.

This team played some great defensive baseball last year, both pitching and with the glove. I think this years team scores more but maybe gives up more, as well.
    Center Field Free Agent List:

Center fielders
    Rick Ankiel (33)
    Michael Bourn (30) - declined qualifying offer
    Josh Hamilton (32) - declined qualifying offer
    Nyjer Morgan (32)
    Scott Podsednik (37)
    Grady Sizemore (30)
    Andres Torres (35)

Might Walt+company sit back and see if the market allows for a late inning glove who hits lefties to come into the Reds' budget? It is kind of a shame, seeing as how Stubbs is exactly that guy.

But I wouldn't let that stop getting Choo!
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I mean, are we really complaining about the one weak bat in our lineup that still provides offensive pop and great defense?
    When in Rome...

We should've drafted Lincecum
    Go BLUE!!!

Yeah, and he also found steroids*

*allegedly

For every Chris Sabo who was a late bloomer, how many guys weren't? A metric ton.
    What's wrong with Cozart now? We'd all love a .350 OBP form short, but he's got some pop and plays great D. A cheap and more than serviceable player IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Or that the Reds didn't instead acquire a 21-year old at a position they already have six of going into spring training with the best returning ERA in baseball of the group...
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

JJ Cooper @jjcoop36
    No. Not after trade like this. D'backs have few options at SS RT @dougdirt24: Think Didi goes to AAA to start 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    What's wrong with Cozart now? We'd all love a .350 OBP form short, but he's got some pop and plays great D. A cheap and more than serviceable player IMO.
    What is wrong with him? He makes outs more than nearly every regular player in baseball. That is a significant wart on your resume.

Again, I am not against this trade. Simply saying that Cozart isn't exactly an ideal option either. He is a #8 hitter who isn't likely to improve on either side of the ball.

I have no concerns with who we gave up. Prospects like Gregorius and Stubbs like players are scratch offs. Sure you may regret dealing them once in a while, but you'll win in the long run in making deals like this.

The Reds are a good team. This is a good team trade.

What is wrong with him? He makes out more than nearly every regular player in baseball. That is a significant wart on your resume.
    Whoa... he makes out more? I knew he was a baseball player -- but I guess he's also a player (if you know what I mean)!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

What is wrong with him? He makes out more than nearly every regular player in baseball. That is a significant wart on your resume.
    That's not the only way of creating value. I feel like you're being a little narrowminded on this issue.

Turn Off Ads?