Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

Down here south of the Ohio River, we're just trying to get used to being a ranked team in the recruiting wars. Mark Stoops has been pretty amazing so far at Kentucky, at least in recruiting. For years, UK ignored Ohio and looked south for players. Stoops is getting a bunch of good players up in the Buckeye State.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Turn Off Ads?

No doubt Coach Stoops has UK rolling in the right direction. If he can get all of the leftovers that OSU doesn't want instead of letting MSU and UC get them, UK will be a top 25 program within a few years.

In fact with Coach Strong in UL, Coach Stoops at UK, and motorcycle lovin' Coach Petrino at WKU, I think Kentucky is one of the more intriguing football states today.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

I'm pretty sure Urban Meyer has a couple screws loose...

http://www.cbssports.com/general/wri...chigan-message

At points last year, Ohio State coach Urban Meyer let it be known that visitors to Buckeyes practices were not to wear blue, presumably because that's the primary color of Michigan, Ohio State's biggest rival.

On the first day NFL scouts were allowed to observe Ohio State's practice this month, at least two were wearing blue. And at some point during their time in Ohio State's facility, Meyer's message about what not to wear was passed along through Ohio State and staffers and even involved some players yelling to the scouts that blue was not welcome.

Eventually, those scouts in blue were given Ohio State shirts to wear for the duration of their visit.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I'm pretty sure Urban Meyer has a couple screws loose...

http://www.cbssports.com/general/wri...chigan-message
    Love it. Urban is the man.

7. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-26-2013),jimbo (08-26-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Love it. Urban is the man.
    Yep. Nothing wrong that. Although some will find fault in the way Urban wipes himself. No shock there lol. I am glad that Urban understands beating Michigan is the #1 priority with that football program and Woody just ripped up a heaven yard marker in appreciation.

If you write for the ACC or root for the SEC, then you might not "get it". This story does not have any spice to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Yep. Nothing wrong that. Although some will find fault in the way Urban wipes himself. No shock there lol. I am glad that Urban understands beating Michigan is the #1 priority with that football program and Woody just ripped up a heaven yard marker in appreciation.

If you write for the ACC or root for the SEC, then you might not "get it". This story does not have any spice to it.
    Actually, if you root for an SEC team (especially two in particular), you completely understand rivalries on a level that-for as great as the OSU/Michigan rivalry is for college football-big ten fans really can't comprehend. OSU-Michigan is no great mystery.

That's not a criticism of big ten fans. It's an acknowledgement of a different brand of fanaticism where football means more than it should.

But ya, Urban has a few screws missing. Making scouts-professionals that could largely help student athletes realize their professional aspirations and guests of the University-conform to a dress code or be forced to wear Buckeye swag in order to do their jobs? This was just the kind of thing that "Big Ten fan" used to mock about Urban when he was part of the problem rather than perceived as their solution.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Actually, if you root for an SEC team (especially two in particular), you completely understand rivalries on a level that-for as great as the OSU/Michigan rivalry is for college football-big ten fans really can't comprehend. OSU-Michigan is no great mystery.

That's not a criticism of big ten fans. It's an acknowledgement of a different brand of fanaticism where football means more than it should.

But ya, Urban has a few screws missing. Making scouts-professionals that could largely help student athletes realize their professional aspirations and guests of the University-conform to a dress code or be forced to wear Buckeye swag in order to do their jobs? This was just the kind of thing that "Big Ten fan" used to mock about Urban when he was part of the problem rather than perceived as their solution.
    You're ridiculous.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-27-2013),bucksfan2 (08-26-2013),foxfire123 (08-28-2013),jimbo (08-26-2013)

You're ridiculous.
    Not really so much.....

Not really so much.....
    haha, sorry about that...I started to type out a response to your post and deleted everything and replaced it with the simple "you're ridiculous."

It was pretty childish, but sometimes that's me.

haha, sorry about that...I started to type out a response to your post and deleted everything and replaced it with the simple "you're ridiculous."

It was pretty childish, but sometimes that's me.
    No biggie. Obviously my post wasn't pro-Meyer but I don't think I really said anything all that inflammatory.

Big Ten fans can't comprehend the intricacies of SEC brand rivalries! That's just awesome!! Yeah, it's really hard to understand why the balance of college fandom has such difficulty with many (not all) SEC fans. It's not enough to say that the football culture is "different", which everyone knows, but it's that we "can't comprehend" it. I honestly laughed out loud when I read that. It's been a while since I read something on RZ that took me by surprise. But to be fair, I'm guessing some of the other SEC fans on this board are rolling their eyes just as much.

But hey, "it's not an insult" (which is exactly what someone would say who is about to insult you)!!
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

16. Likes:

jimbo (08-26-2013),Redsfaithful (08-26-2013)

Rivalries in college football are what make the game special. Being an Auburn fan there are some goofy things that they must do in regards to Alabama.

Urban has as many screws loose as every other big time college coach. Part of a job is embracing the team, city, and history of a program. There is a story that when John Cooper was hired he was perceived as a west coast guy. One of his first things he did as a coach was sign an endorsement with a hot tub company that sat wrong with many buckeye fans.

Urban has embraced everything OSU and has made it known that of great importance is beating Michigan. Its a page out of Woody Hayes book, one thing you don't screw up at OSU. If he doesn't allow scouts to wear blue at an open practice people in Columbus eat that up. As for two scouts making a difference in the player's further ambitions, I doubt that. If those two scouts left you think Bradley Roby would suffer any?

There is NO bigger rivalry in college football then Ohio State-Michigan. Nothing in the SEC compares to The Game. I have been to the Auburn-Alabama game, LSU-Florida, and Florida-FSU, and none of them even came close the intensity of Ohio State-Michigan.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

No biggie. Obviously my post wasn't pro-Meyer but I don't think I really said anything all that inflammatory.
    the whole "big ten fans can't comprehend line" was the ridiculous part.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    There is NO bigger rivalry in college football then Ohio State-Michigan. Nothing in the SEC compares to The Game. I have been to the Auburn-Alabama game, LSU-Florida, and Florida-FSU, and none of them even came close the intensity of Ohio State-Michigan.
    Are you sure you weren't just confused by the mystical environment of the SEC?

Perhaps the women wearing sunday dresses to the games confused you.

Turn Off Ads?