Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cincinnati Date ideas?

Re: Cincinnati Date ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Biaggio's on Ludlow. It's close to campus, has the hole-in-the-wall feel, and doesn't come across as pretentious or overly showy (like Jeff Ruby's would). At UC, it was my go to date restaurant and it never let me down. Lady Paint and I still make it a point to eat there every few months.

On Fridays and Saturdays, the small wine shop across the street (Ludlow Wine and Gifts) does beer and wine tasting for $5. It's a great little shop and you get more than your money's worth out of it. Start there then grab dinner afterwards.

Depending on what you're up to after dinner, there's the Esquire (indie movie theater), Sitwells for coffee and Graeters within a block. And you don't have to leave Clifton. Public parking is on Howell next to the IGA entrance for cheap (any of the businesses on Ludlow will validate your parking).
    I really miss my days living in Clifton.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus_the_Red View Post
    The only problem there is that those are all our normal spots for a typical date night. We've spent many-a-night at Sitwells, Olives, Biaggio's, etc.

I'm looking to take her somewhere a little classier, so dress codes and whatnot aren't going to be a problem.
    Got it. I didn't read your follow-up post.

Celestial at Mt. Adams then over to the Blind Lemon? Primavista is also a nice place if you want to brave Price Hill.
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-29-2010 at 08:05 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Gotta say that unless you are stepping up your game for some reason, that any of the Ruby's places are on the top end of the Cincy scene. I save places like that for special occasions. For example, My wife and I are celebrating our tenth wedding anniversary this year, and I am starting to think about this. If our society wasn't so casual, a place like the Fish Market at Newport on the Levee would be a good choice. Nothing worse than wanting to be a little more formal, and sitting next to some family in jeans, with kids. There just aren't that many choices for this kind of dining any more.

I will probably head to Columbus because I think the adult specific dining is better there.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    That's the place. I'm disappointed to know it's burgers, the appeal of which I understand, but not to the degree that I'd stand in line for one.
    Well its more than just burgers. The burger actually only occupies 1 line on their 2 sided menu. If you weren't specifically going in to grab a burger, you may not even spot it on the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I will probably head to Columbus because I think the adult specific dining is better there.
    Having lived in both cities I will have to respectfully disagree.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Gotta say that unless you are stepping up your game for some reason, that any of the Ruby's places are on the top end of the Cincy scene. I save places like that for special occasions. For example, My wife and I are celebrating our tenth wedding anniversary this year, and I am starting to think about this. If our society wasn't so casual, a place like the Fish Market at Newport on the Levee would be a good choice. Nothing worse than wanting to be a little more formal, and sitting next to some family in jeans, with kids. There just aren't that many choices for this kind of dining any more.

Even at one of Ruby's places, you'll still find people in jeans -- if that bothers you, I don't really know what to suggest. It's just a reality of the current trend towards "all casual, all the time" that our society has been steadily moving towards.

As for the Cincinnati / Columbus "adult dining" thing, I think the choices in Cincinnati are fantastic. There are names that haven't even ben touched in this thread:

- Jean Robert's Table
    - Boi na Braza
    - Tony's (up near Fields Ertel & Montgomerey)
    - Nichola's
    - Trattoria Roma
    - Ichiban
    - Morton's
    - China Gormet (Hyde Park)
    - Beluga

All of which are fantastic "non-family dinner" type establishments. That's just off the top of my head too.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    - Tony's (up near Fields Ertel & Montgomerey)

This.

We went there this past week. it gets a double thumb's up from Roy.

It rivals Jeff Ruby's palces.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Good call! Not over the top like a Ruby place, yet food prepared well in a very professionally run shop.
    Thanks. I thought so but after bringing this up with my wife last night she didn't agree. She said that Palomino was a much better bet for college kids 'cause it was more "hip" and had a nice view. To each his own...

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Thanks. I thought so but after bringing this up with my wife last night she didn't agree. She said that Palomino was a much better bet for college kids 'cause it was more "hip" and had a nice view. To each his own...
    My friend Kevin is the sous chef at Palamino. I thought the food was good but that it had a definite corporate feel to it IMO.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I have not been impressed with Palomino- seemed like formula food to me.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Playhouse in the park in MT Adams is amazing.. IMO.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Not sure what's playing right now, but my plug has alwasy been for Cincinnati Shakespeare Festival. It will make you look all high brow and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

The Gas & Sip is always a hit with the ladies.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Playhouse in the park in MT Adams is amazing.. IMO.
    It is a neat place to go and watch a play. IMO its much more intimate setting than other places in the area. And the acting is top notch.

Turn Off Ads?