Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gonelong's 7th annual Season W/L prediction thread ...

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Gonelong's 7th annual Season W/L prediction thread ...

Ok, time for Gonelong's 7th annual Reds Win prediction thread. Similar to years past my requests are minimal:

1. Give a number of Ws you project.
    2. Make the prediction as honestly as you can. (Imagine you were betting your house one your estimate being correct.)
    3) I will be **AT** the game again this year. (thanks again, to my brother!) Once I return from the game I'll compute the average and post it as the "Redszone ORG consensus".

I think it would be interesting if someone would start a similar thread on the Sundeck and we can have a friendly competition between the ORG and Sundeck.

Here are the historical prediction threads, if anyone wants to check on their past performance:
    2007 - RZ Ws: 81.40 Actual: 72 PTHG: 75 - Pretty Optimistic
    2006 - RZ Ws: 76.66 Actual: 80 PTHG: 76 - Slightly Pesimistic
    2005 -
    RZ Ws: 84.67 Actual: 73 PTHG: 75 - Wildy Optimistic
    2004 -
    RZ Ws: 76.82 Actual: 76 PTHG: 67 - Right On
    2003 -
    RZ Ws: 87.88 Actual: 69 PTHG: 63 - Wildly Optimistic
    2002 - RZ Ws: 79.71 Actual: 78 PTHG: 75 - Slightly Optimistic

My prediction for 2008 prediction of Reds Wins is 80 Ws.

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Gonelong's 7th annual Season W/L prediction thread ...

84 wins

79 wins
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

81 wins
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

86 Wins
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I was very optimistic last year for some reason and I am less so this year so I will say 83 and third place in the central behind the Cubs and Brewers unfortunately.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

74 wins.

The pitching's better, but overall the roster is a shambles.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I'm feeling optimistic about this team just like I do every year, but this time it just feels different. We have two solid starting pitchers at the top of the rotation and two kids with dynamite arms. This is going to be the best rotation we've had since probably the early 90's or longer IMO. The offense is good enough to score around 800 runs; The loss of Hamilton hurt but the improvement of EdE, Votto, and eventually Bruce will offset the loss of Hamilton. The bullpen is still a big question mark but Francisco Cordero helps tremendously. With Cordero in the fold, another solid season from Burton and Weathers, the development of Bill Bray and the arrival of Josh Roenicke, the bullpen improves two months into the season after Stanton is cut loose. Where does all that put us?

86 wins.

85 wins

Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

83 Wins. I'm playing that number until they do it.

Last year that didn't work out so well.

Despite that, I remain optimistic and unlike recent seasons I honestly do think this team could really surprise us and win even more. Not that I don't realize that would most likely take good years from all the rookies as well as health and consistent production from everyone else, including the bullpen. It would also require more than we can likely expect from the current core of catchers.

Admittedly, I know that's an amount of good fortune that doesn't often grace any team during a single season and that with just average luck and a few key injuries this team could really struggle.

Either way, I do think the Reds have a lot more talent than they did in any of the last 5 seasons, so at least there are reasons to remain interested as fan, and hey, with the season starting next week that's not so bad.
    School's out. What did you expect?

82 Wins.

I really want to go more, but too many 'ifs' and I think I'm being optimistic as is. Man, this is seriously the most excited for a season that I've been in a few years. The young kids should be a LOT of fun to watch this year!

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Although this year I'm more excited with the young guys around, I'm less optimistic about win total... I'll say 80 Wins

73-89
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

85 wins.

Turn Off Ads?