Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

Just for fun.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/1...-agents-1.html

They predict the Reds end up with Josh Willingham and wait for it, wait for it..........Juan Pierre.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLBtraderumors predicts where free agents will end up

Willingham

2011 488 at-bats,.246, 29 HR's, 98 rbi's, .810 OPS

Heisey
    2011 279 at-bats, .254, 18 HR's, 50 rbi's, .797 OPS

Heisey, projected 500 at-bats based on 2011 stats

500 at-bats, 32 HR's, 90 rbi's, same average, etc.

Willingham turns 32 in February. Why sign him to a 3 year deal when you have a guy who turns 27 this December that has nearly the same numbers?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

Willingham turns 32 in February. Why sign him to a 3 year deal when you have a guy who turns 27 this December that has nearly the same numbers?
    Because Willingham may be able to start every day and the Reds must not think that Heisey does... or he probably would have by now.

I'd take Willingham, Sizemore or Beltran for LF on a 2-year deal. I wouldn't want to commit more than that if I were the Reds. It goes without saying, but I have no interest in Pierre.

My first priority would be to secure a #1 or #2 starter, however- but a signing like this may allow that to happen (making Alonso, Stubbs, and/or Heisey more expendable).
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Willingham

2011 488 at-bats,.246, 29 HR's, 98 rbi's, .810 OPS

Heisey
    2011 279 at-bats, .254, 18 HR's, 50 rbi's, .797 OPS

Heisey, projected 500 at-bats based on 2011 stats

500 at-bats, 32 HR's, 90 rbi's, same average, etc.

Why not both?

Heisey also plays a passable CF, fwiw. (His dWAR numbers compare with Drew Stubbs across the board, though in fewer innings than is comfortable to predict.)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd take Willingham, Sizemore or Beltran for LF on a 2-year deal. I wouldn't want to commit more than that if I were the Reds. It goes without saying, but I have no interest in Pierre.

My first priority would be to secure a #1 or #2 starter, however- but a signing like this may allow that to happen (making Alonso, Stubbs, and/or Heisey more expendable).
    That would be fine for me as well. I'd love to have Beltran, but there's little chance the Reds could afford him.

I understand the issue they bring up about Fielder being drafted by the Mariners but I just don't see him going there.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I understand the issue they bring up about Fielder being drafted by the Mariners but I just don't see him going there.
    Me neither. Safeco Field is where power hitters go to die. There is a reason Griffey and ARod both wanted out of there.

If I were the Mariners I would take the Padres approach. Build a team entirely around pitching and play to the strengths of your ballpark. Offering multi-millions to a player who will never live up to the expectations in that ballpark is kinda ridiculous.

I'd take a chance on Grady Sizemore and keep Heisey as a platoon player. If Sizemore works out, you have someone who works better at leading off.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Juan Pierre, as awful as that acquisition would be, fits what the Reds do in the offseason to a tee under this Jocketty/Baker/Castellini regime.

See:

Patterson, Corey

Taveras, Willie

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Me neither. Safeco Field is where power hitters go to die. There is a reason Griffey and ARod both wanted out of there.

If I were the Mariners I would take the Padres approach. Build a team entirely around pitching and play to the strengths of your ballpark. Offering multi-millions to a player who will never live up to the expectations in that ballpark is kinda ridiculous.

I'd take a chance on Grady Sizemore and keep Heisey as a platoon player. If Sizemore works out, you have someone who works better at leading off.
    Well, sure. I'd sign Willingham, Sizemore or Beltran if Stubbs gets traded and Heisey moves to CF. Then we need a LFer, so it makes sense.

-The Insider-

Free agency begins! And here we go...

What do you all think the biggest surprise will be in the free agency period? Obviously Pujols and Fielder are the big names so it doesn't surprise me anywhere they land. What I mean is will there be any shocking trades or deals made?

CJ Wilson ends up a Yankee. They replace him with Yu Darvish.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    CJ Wilson ends up a Yankee. They replace him with Yu Darvish.
    I have heard a lot about Yu Darvish. What makes him different from other Japanese players that have come over and had limited success?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I have heard a lot about Yu Darvish. What makes him different from other Japanese players that have come over and had limited success?
    Other than being half Iranian, I'm not sure.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?