PDA

View Full Version : Reds building a radio brand

joshua
01-27-2013, 06:17 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130127/SPT04/301270053/Reds-building-radio-brand?nclick_check=1

Great article on the quest to grow the radio network. I knew the Reds had a lot of affiliates, but never would have guessed the number was up in the 90's.

I wonder its possible take a similar approach to television. I know they would never have their own WGN or TBS, but could they forego FSO and instead build a web of OTA stations to carry games? Or could they still stick with FSO and syndicate the broadcast live to regional stations outside the reach of FSO?

I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about MLB TV rules or how any of this stuff works, so this idea is either super genius or super stupid (probably the latter).

MoneyInTheBank
01-27-2013, 06:43 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130127/SPT04/301270053/Reds-building-radio-brand?nclick_check=1

Great article on the quest to grow the radio network. I knew the Reds had a lot of affiliates, but never would have guessed the number was up in the 90's.

I wonder its possible take a similar approach to television. I know they would never have their own WGN or TBS, but could they forego FSO and instead build a web of OTA stations to carry games? Or could they still stick with FSO and syndicate the broadcast live to regional stations outside the reach of FSO?

I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about MLB TV rules or how any of this stuff works, so this idea is either super genius or super stupid (probably the latter).

Nice Article. Thanks.

As far as your TV idea, I don't think it's super stupid. I think there is just more money in an "exclusive rights" deal with a TV powerhouse than hundreds of deals with local stations.

WDE
01-28-2013, 12:25 AM
I would love the idea you presented with the TV thing, and I realize we are a top 3 most watched team or something like that, but we have to still remember we are a small market team, and I doubt that we could pull it off.

bigfunguy
01-28-2013, 01:40 PM
I've often thought they oughtta pitch the idea to somebody like the Nashville Network...

Nosirrah
01-29-2013, 10:27 PM

Wasn't this the model before FSO? I remember watching the Reds on the Lima local NBC affilliate (WIMA).

I do think it would be a good idea to extend the viewing range beyond FSO's reach, but it would be best if FSO did the distribution (and paid the Reds a bit extra for the privilege). LOTS of Reds' fans in Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and West Virginia - and maybe a local station that would love to show them.

Eric from NC
02-08-2013, 04:22 PM
As far as TV, actually the Reds are picked up by more than foxsports ohio. Sportsouth, which is part of the fox networks, broadcasts reds games in TN and the Western half of NC.

Captain13
02-08-2013, 04:39 PM
FoxSportsOH is part of the regular cable package in Louisville and I believe in Lexington. FSO does a pretty good job getting the broadcast out there.