PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever done Cooperstown??

bigfunguy
01-30-2013, 12:13 PM
What else is there to do up there other than the HOF? Closest metropolitan area? Best time to go? Is it worth it?? Considering surprising my Dad with a birthday trip, but we'd be flying up from Atlanta, so wanna be sure its worth the effort...

TSJ55
01-30-2013, 01:40 PM
I did it a couple of times one summer. I think it takes 2 days minimum to see the whole thing and in my opionion it was 100% worth it. Certainly a baseball junkie's pilgrimage.

The entire town is baseball crazy so the HOF is only part of the trip. I'm not sure of the closest metropolitan area to be honest. Upstate NY, so I'm guessing Rochester of Buffalo. The fact that C-town was small was pretty cool I thought. I cannot comment on best time to go.

bounty37h
01-30-2013, 03:12 PM
My dad and I went for Bench's HOF induction weekend, had a blast. Can spend a couple days in the museum alone. The town is also baseball heavy, lots of memorablia stores, Doubleday (not sure what goes on there daily basis, if open), and a great microbrewery there as well. We also went to Oneota (sp?) for a minor league game on way home, though cant recall how far away it was.

New York Red
01-30-2013, 04:28 PM
I did it a couple of times one summer. I think it takes 2 days minimum to see the whole thing and in my opionion it was 100% worth it. Certainly a baseball junkie's pilgrimage.

The entire town is baseball crazy so the HOF is only part of the trip. I'm not sure of the closest metropolitan area to be honest. Upstate NY, so I'm guessing Rochester of Buffalo. The fact that C-town was small was pretty cool I thought. I cannot comment on best time to go.
Actually, it's about halfway between Syracuse and Albany, maybe 30 or 40 minutes south of the New York Thruway. I don't remember which exit for sure, but I believe it's the Utica exit from the west and the Schenectady exit if you're coming from the east. If you're coming from the south, I guess it'd be either 87 from the NYC area or 81 up through Scranton, PA, Binghampton, NY, etc. There are plenty of signs to direct you once you get within an hour or so.

You don't have to worry about alternative things to do, because the HOF and other Cooperstown sites will easily keep you busy for a couple days. It's been several years since I've been, but I'm dying to go back soon. For a lifelong baseball fan, it's Heaven on earth.

Beatlessp
01-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Got to stop in there back in '07, my first trip to the in-laws upstate from Milton wv. that is SUCH a fun drive :thumbdown: anyway my wife and i were still dating at that point, and on the way up, i noticed the cooperstown exit off I-81 (found out cooperstown is about an hour from the interstate). Found out she was a keeper when she agreed to swing out to the museum on our way back home. It was the end of our weeklong trip and a last second add-on so the budget wasn't there to do much, but the museum was awesome! blew through it in about 3 hours, but skipped a TON of stuff. Want to go back with more time, that's for sure!! oh, and the cool thing is, i have a picture of the all time HR leaderboard they have with Bonds and Aaron tied....Barry broke the record* that very night, that was pretty cool too!!

bigredmechanism
01-30-2013, 04:34 PM
There's no true big town very close.

I went there in the fall, which was nice driving up seeing all the foliage and mountains. If you're flying, that probably won't make any difference to you, though.

We were there for a good part of the day (~10AM - ~5PM) and I wished I had more time to look at stuff.

redsfanmia
01-30-2013, 05:55 PM
One of the most disappointing days of my life was spent in Cooperstown. I thought it would be one of the best experiences of my life but I left unfulfilled.

texasdave
01-30-2013, 06:08 PM
One of the most disappointing days of my life was spent in Cooperstown. I thought it would be one of the best experiences of my life but I left unfulfilled.

Pete? Is that you?

redsfanmia
01-30-2013, 06:10 PM
Pete? Is that you?

I came away with this impression....baseball is about the Yankees and Red Sox while the other teams are just there to fill out the schedule. I was not impressed at all with Cooperstown.

texasdave
01-30-2013, 06:12 PM
I came away with this impression....baseball is about the Yankees and Red Sox while the other teams are just there to fill out the schedule. I was not impressed at all with Cooperstown.

I have never been there, so I have no idea. If what you are saying is true then ESPN must run Cooperstown.

New York Red
01-30-2013, 06:34 PM
There's a ton of Yankees stuff, which is understandable considering their history. That didn't bother me at all. In fact I thought the really old Yankee stuff was pretty awesome. I'm sure there's plenty of Red Sox stuff too, but it didn't catch my eye the way the Yankees stuff did. Then again, it was before the Sox' most recent WS titles.

My two favorite sections of the HOF are the actual plaques honoring each player, and the baseball card section (because I, like many fans my age, grew up collecting the old Topps bubble gum cards).

redsfanmia
01-30-2013, 07:01 PM
As a Reds fan I feel the Reds HOF is much better than Cooperstown. I want to go back to Cooperstown with lower expectations, I'm sure I would enjoy it more.

New York Red
01-30-2013, 07:12 PM
As a Reds fan I feel the Reds HOF is much better than Cooperstown. I want to go back to Cooperstown with lower expectations, I'm sure I would enjoy it more.
For a lifelong Reds fan, I might agree the Reds HOF is better in some ways. For a lifelong fan of baseball in general, and of the long and great history of the game, Cooperstown is incredible. Just my opinion. I understand where you're coming from though.

FlyingPig
01-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Made the drive from North Carolina two years ago. Incredible experience. How do you describe the Plaque Gallery?

After spending a day looking at exhibits, pictures, video.....you finally walk into that room.....smell the varnish, hear the quiet whispering......read the plaques....

Quite the experience.

leeech86
01-30-2013, 11:28 PM
I've never been, but i'm hoping sometime in the next decade I can set the time aside and make a road trip. Seems like a good off-season trip to make to help pass the time.

m21eagle45
02-02-2013, 05:13 PM
I also have never been there, but I have wanted to go for some time. I have been to the Football HOF many times being from Ohio and that is a fun trip, but I hear the Baseball HOF is even better.

Kiko
02-02-2013, 09:51 PM
I finally made it up to Cooperstown last summer to see Barry Larkin inducted. There is more to do on induction weekend but also more people. If you really love baseball then give yourself two days to tour the Hall and take it all in. Main Street is lined with memorabilia shop and restaurants. You can spend a lot of time going into the shops just looking around. I spent four days there so did a couple other non baseball activities. The Fenimore Art Museum is worthwhile and houses a great collection of American Indian Art. The museum is named after James Fenimore Cooper who is best known for his novels, most notably The Last of the Mohicans. You can take a boat ride on Lake Otsego which is beautiful and mostly undeveloped. There you can see the Kingfisher Tower Castle.

One interesting note: I asked one of the workers at the HoF where they kept all of the memorabilia that was not on display. He said there is a huge warehouse underground where things are kept. There is even one room where, in the event of a fire, you have 30 seconds to get out before all the oxygen is sucked out of the room.

Cooperstown is a very charming, small town and worthwhile a trip there even for non baseball fans.

BlackPete Ibold
02-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Cooperstown is a different feel summer vs. off season.

Winter and early spring it is like the dusty old library where you see long forgotten treasures like Lefty Grove and Nap Lajoie.

Summer it can be a bit rushed inside but the game never feels more alive for all the baseball talk and hum of activity at every local shop, restaurant, and bar.

So yeah, can't go wrong, it is the best HoF of all the sports -- the town really is a cozy little baseball nook.

As for the earlier complaint that it was too NYY and Red Sox centered, I'd disagree. Yanks have to get their due as a 27 time WS winner, but the Hall is a player based entity. And yes, plenty of Pete Rose stuff in there by way of BRM artifacts and pictures.

I need to get back now that we have another Red there, look forward to seeing Barry's living epitaph.

muddie
02-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Ommegang Brewery is just a bit outside of Cooperstown as is Cooperstown Brewery. Ommegang is a larger brewery housed in a large barn like building, really cool. Cooperstown Brewery beers are called Old Slugger beers as I recall. Both offer tastings.

Do yourself a favor if you ever get to Cooperstown, just get out and drive around the country, it is beautiful there. There is a lake in Cooperstown that offers scenic boat rides. We didn't do that but wish we had. It was September of 2007 when we were up there and we weren't up to braving the chilly breeze being on the lake would bring.

There is definitely something to be said about Cooperstown being in love with the Red Sox and Yankees. I totally unserstand that sentiment, saw it first hand. However, there is more to it than that so make the trip if you can. Take your time in the museum, it is an awful lot to enjoy.

redsrolen
02-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Pete? Is that you?

LMAO!!!:laugh::lol:;)

LORD WILLIN' & THE CREEK DON'T RISE....I'LL BE THERE FOR SCOTTY!!!

holster10
02-28-2013, 10:32 AM
It's worth the trip alone to drive through upstate New York.

Simon Rhymon
03-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Cooperstown is to baseball what the Vatican is to Catholicism ... if you catch my drift. ;)

fireman937
03-02-2013, 03:02 PM
A trip I am hoping to make with a 7 year old son. He loves baseball and he would love this.

Old NDN
03-04-2013, 08:58 AM
I would love to go. You would think that one of the local travel groups would put together a Cooperstown trip once a year. Anyone aware of such a thing?

bounty37h
03-04-2013, 09:42 AM
I dont know who does it, but I have seen travel groups do Cooperstown-as an individual trip as well as included in baseball stadium/game tours.

sigep529
03-08-2013, 03:46 PM
I second Brewery Ommegang as a worthwhile place to visit. They used to have a brew from there called "Rare Vos" on tap at the Moerlein Lager House outside of GABP. Best brew on the planet, for my money... wish I could find it easier here in Tennessee.

Also, for the younger folk... There's a place called Fly Creek Cider Mill a few miles up the road. They have tons of jams/jellies/salsas/etc. for sample in their shop as well as a neat little apple themed snack shop. You can eat your snack and watch the ducks swim in the little pond on property.

We couldn't get a room in town when we went, and had to stay in Utica... about an hour away. The drive from Cooperstown to Utica was absolutely beautiful.

Beatlessp
03-14-2013, 08:55 PM
We couldn't get a room in town when we went, and had to stay in Utica... about an hour away. The drive from Cooperstown to Utica was absolutely beautiful.

I totally agree...that whole section of I81 is amazing....but then again, i am spoiled my mountain scenery a bit, even if i do live in the 'lowlands' of WV.....hell of a drive up there from here (about 3 hours short of where we go to my see my wife's grandma and aunt) but is some gorgeous scenery

EDIT...I 88....I 81 is the one we drive from hagerstown through PA on the way north

muddie
03-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Also, for the younger folk... There's a place called Fly Creek Cider Mill a few miles up the road. They have tons of jams/jellies/salsas/etc. for sample in their shop as well as a neat little apple themed snack shop. You can eat your snack and watch the ducks swim in the little pond on property.

Yep, I had forgotten about that place. Good call.

Eric from NC
04-03-2013, 12:56 PM
I went to the Hall of Fame as kid (late 70s early 80s). I thought it was a cool trip. It is a charming town with a stunning lake with a nice boat tour that you can take. I recall the Busch family of St. Louis owned summer home and had one of those high speed thunder boats that they would race up and down the lake. The Otesaga hotel is a great hotel, where the hall of famers stay for the induction ceremony. When I was there all the Hall of Famers were great about signing autographs and posing for pictures in the hotel lobby. I'm not sure how ebay and card shows have changed this.

The town has great weather in the summer because of being the upstate area. I remember a local family telling us that the ice in the lakes does not finish melting until early June.

If you like history, there are some other nice things in the area. There is the James Fenimore Cooper home and at least one restored early settlement from the French and Indian war/revolutionary war era.

Eric from NC
04-03-2013, 01:01 PM
I would love to go. You would think that one of the local travel groups would put together a Cooperstown trip once a year. Anyone aware of such a thing?

I know Broach Sports Tours in Charlotte NC usually does a northeast baseball trip that includes Cooperstown. I believe with their trips you can either meet their group in charlotte or raleigh or meet in their opening city. The trip usually does Pitt, Phil, Balt, NY, Bos ect.

BigJohn
04-03-2013, 01:27 PM
http://www.cooperstownfishing.com/

Fishing or sightseeing boat on Lake Otsego looks pretty cool.

http://www.thisiscooperstown.com/

BigJohn
04-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Here is what we did a few years ago. We did cooperstown then went through Williamsport Little league Museum and spent a day at Hershey PA then came home via Pittsburg for fan fest during all star weekend.
It was a trip of a lifetime for my baseball crazy family.

SaboMVP
04-06-2013, 12:30 PM
What else is there to do up there other than the HOF? Closest metropolitan area? Best time to go? Is it worth it?? Considering surprising my Dad with a birthday trip, but we'd be flying up from Atlanta, so wanna be sure its worth the effort...

Try Double Vision or Nite Moves. Baseball+Strippers=Good Times.