PDA

View Full Version : Joey Votto on Baseball Tonight

NebraskaRed
03-18-2013, 04:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9065455

Really interesting stuff. He seems like he's the product of a great balance between the mental and the physical.

And the comparison between Votto and Ted Williams is exactly on point.

Vander
03-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Comparing Votto to Williams is a bit unfair to Votto as Ted Williams is one of the top two or three hitters of all time. However, I think people would be shocked at how close it actually is. In career OPS+, Ted Williams is second only to Babe Ruth. Joey Votto is ranked 22nd all time, and second only to Pujols amongst current players. He's actually tied at 22nd with Mel Ott, Joe DiMaggio, and Hank Aaron. Pretty good company if you ask me.

It's also worth noting that Votto's OPS+ is severely hurt based on the park he plays in. In pure OPS, he's actually ranked 15th all time, which is actually better than both Ott and Aaron, and only a hair behind DiMaggio.

One characteristic I'm glad Votto doesn't have in common with Ted Williams is personality. Williams was a pure clubhouse cancer and had a career long feud with his own fan base in Boston. Votto, on the other hand, is beloved in Cincinnati. I hope that difference remains consistent.

NebraskaRed
03-19-2013, 12:10 PM
One characteristic I'm glad Votto doesn't have in common with Ted Williams is personality. Williams was a pure clubhouse cancer and had a career long feud with his own fan base in Boston. Votto, on the other hand, is beloved in Cincinnati. I hope that difference remains consistent.

Agreed. I also hope Votto doesn't decide that it's a good idea to freeze his head after he dies.

Norm Chortleton
03-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Williams was a pure clubhouse cancer and had a career long feud with his own fan base in Boston. Votto, on the other hand, is beloved in Cincinnati. I hope that difference remains consistent.

I'd take 8 Teddy Ballgames in my starting lineup and take my chances. Leader in league stats >>>>> leader in the clubhouse.

Falcon7
03-26-2013, 10:34 PM
3 peak years, he did not play because of Military Service, likely at least 100 HR's, 360 rbi's and a .350 avg. He was the best hitter EVER!

Phoenix2
03-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Ted Williams was a great ballplayer and American.

Phoenix2
03-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Agreed. I also hope Votto doesn't decide that it's a good idea to freeze his head after he dies.
That was his kid's bad idea.

lidspinner
03-27-2013, 02:25 PM
I'd take 8 Teddy Ballgames in my starting lineup and take my chances. Leader in league stats >>>>> leader in the clubhouse.

Yes 8 stat leaders are more important to winning than 8 clubhouse leaders but one for one if I had a choice and I am starting a franchise??? Tough call, I'd have to consider Joey based on the fact that he is far from a cancer......teddy was one of THE greatest but if he ruins my clubhouse then I might not be able to sign other players to LTC's.....it would be a tough call

cumberlandreds
03-29-2013, 07:50 AM

There was a reason Teddy Ballgame never won a championship. Read his biography by Leigh Montville and you will see why.

Corked
03-29-2013, 11:42 AM
I love hearing him talk about hitting can't wait to see him in action this year

Votto always seems so awkward in interviews that aren't about hitting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus