PDA

View Full Version : Leake: Always giving up early runs

HDBoy
04-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Mike Leake -- the little boy of a pitcher in a man's sport -- starts the season by giving up another early-innings dinger and spotting his opponents two runs. Time and time again, this guy forces the Reds to play from behind, and here we go again.

Every time Leake makes a start, I'll be thinking: "If only this were Chapman".

Welcome to 2013.

DWS1125
04-06-2013, 02:59 PM
I would send him down..and make him a Second baseman. I don't think his "Stuff is good enough for majors. But I like his bat. Make him into a infielder.

HDBoy
04-06-2013, 03:08 PM
There goes another two-run dinger from Leake. The Reds should just send him down, pencil in W's for 2/3 of the scheduled Leake games and save the wear and tear on the team.

Why make major league fans sit through his painful minor league development in major league parks? I love a good minor league game as much as the next guy, and like to see young players develop, but not when we're paying premium prices for major league tickets and broadcast subscriptions.

Hell, I can walk to the mound and lose 2/3 of my games (even more) :)

DWS1125
04-06-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't like how the Reds letting him develop in the majors...with his stuff he must have Pin point accuracy. He can't afford to leave anything over the plate at all..I think Jocketty regrets that first round pick..to be honest thats why he wanted to cover it up with Chapman. They're willing to let Leake go through growing pains but not Mez..I just don't get it

HDBoy
04-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Leake may make a major league pitcher someday, but he sure isn't ready yet. Thank God his day is over now. What a momentum killer he is, especially after last night's 15-0 Reds blowout over the same Washington team.

I've had an MLB subscription for my AppleTV and iPad since 2010 and watch a lot of games. However, I don't think I'm going to be able to watch many Leake games this season. It's just too painful to watch his lackluster, cringe-inducing efforts.

texasdave
04-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Mike Leake -- the little boy of a pitcher in a man's sport -- starts the season by giving up another early-innings dinger and spotting his opponents two runs. Time and time again, this guy forces the Reds to play from behind, and here we go again.

Every time Leake makes a start, I'll be thinking: "If only this were Chapman".

Welcome to 2013.

Quoted for truth. Every time Leake takes the mound his performance will be measured against what people think Chapman would have given them. Leake is in a no-win situation. If Leake pitches well, that's nothing that Chapman wouldn't have done. If Leake gets roughed up, Chapman would have done better.

Kc61
04-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Quoted for truth. Every time Leake takes the mound his performance will be measured against what people think Chapman would have given them. Leake is in a no-win situation. If Leake pitches well, that's nothing that Chapman wouldn't have done. If Leake gets roughed up, Chapman would have done better.

Think of it this way. Every time Chapman gets a big save, consider that it could have been Leake out there.

texasdave
04-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Think of it this way. Every time Chapman gets a big save, consider that it could have been Leake out there.

Of course, we all know Leake would not have been out there. So that was pretty much a pointless suggestion. They would have not simply exchanged roles. But, whatever.

edabbs44
04-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Leake has a career 3.45 ERA in innings 1-3.

Maker_84
04-06-2013, 04:20 PM
he is just a below average pitcher and people need to stop getting their hopes up with him. Be happy we have very good 1-4 pitchers

HDBoy
04-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Final: Washington 7, Reds 6. Damn. Together, Leake and Baker snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Why wasn't Chapman still pitching in the 11th? Why was JJ Hoover in again? Surely Chapman can do two innings in a tight game that would have ensured a series win. I know the Reds want to closely watch Chapman's innings, but this quick pitching change is a little extreme under these game and bullpen circumstances. If he can't do an occasional, two-inning stint, why is Chapman even the closer?

Also, apparently, 44 of the Reds' 97 victories in 2012 were come-from-behind wins. I wonder how many of those were Leake starts?

A crappy job, Baker and Leake.

DocRed
04-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Leake being Leake....not sure why this surprises anyone.

redsfanmia
04-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Leake pitched well enough today to win, Dusty left him in too long, he was near 100 pitches when he allowed the second homer.

tomnuetten
04-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Why wasn't Chapman still pitching in the 11th? Why was JJ Hoover in again? Surely Chapman can do two innings in a tight game that would have ensured a series win. I know the Reds want to closely watch Chapman's innings, but this quick pitching change is a little extreme under these game and bullpen circumstances. If he can't do an occasional, two-inning stint, why is Chapman even the closer?

because they didnīt want chapman batting in the bottom of the 10, 2out and todd frazier in scoring position?!? a single would have ended the game, you donīt want your closer at bat...

tomnuetten
04-06-2013, 06:11 PM
he is just a below average pitcher and people need to stop getting their hopes up with him. Be happy we have very good 1-4 pitchers

I agree... our #5 pitcher (who is 25 years old) had a worse outing than our #1-#4 ... surprising...

I donīt know if cingrani or everyone else we have at this moment could do any better. It was his first start of the season against one of the best teams in baseball and some guys want to send him down...

:confused:

Nosirrah
04-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Everyone needs to realize that Leake is the 5th starter on a team with a great starting staff. We've become spoiled.

Below is a partial list of the 55 pitchers who have given up the same or more runs than Leake. Would we be ready to jettison these guys after 1 start?

Buehrle
Harrison
McCarthy
Beckett
Halladay
Hamels
Hellickson
Nolasco
Dickey
Estrada
Josh Johnson
CC Sabathia
Wainwright

HDBoy
04-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Send him down? He shouldn't have been promoted to the majors this soon to begin with. He's essentially the same inconsistent train wreck that he was three years ago. He hasn't made significant progress to merit the ongoing opportunities that keep costing the team dearly.

HDBoy
04-06-2013, 07:43 PM
...And it isn't after one start. It's after three years of starts.

Steve4192
04-06-2013, 07:50 PM
LOL

Leake gave up four runs in a game where the Reds scored six yet somehow the loss is all his fault. Leake didn't pitch well today, but he wasn't a disaster either. He gave the Reds six innings and didn't let the score get out of reach. If he had given up one less run, it would have been an official quality start.

How about we hang the loss where it really belongs, on the reliever who has 100% of the Reds losses on his record? Despite the great spring, Hoover has shat the bed thus far in the regular season.

Steve4192
04-06-2013, 07:51 PM
...And it isn't after one start. It's after three years of starts.

What was wrong with Leake's 2010 and 2011 seasons? Heck, he was the second best pitcher on the Reds in 2011 (behind Cueto).

Cicero2.0
04-06-2013, 07:54 PM
4 runs is not a terrible outing. Our 1-4 are so string that expect no drop off. This is unrealistic.

malcontent
04-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Why wasn't Chapman still pitching in the 11th? Why was JJ Hoover in again? Surely Chapman can do two innings in a tight game that would have ensured a series win.
We knew Baker wouldn't have him go two.

I agree with you: he threw 12 pitches, he could have gone two.

The other thing is: why has Jocketty been handicapping the team if Marshall can't go?

mattfeet
04-06-2013, 08:15 PM
because they didnīt want chapman batting in the bottom of the 10, 2out and todd frazier in scoring position?!? a single would have ended the game, you donīt want your closer at bat...

Absolutely. People seem to forget that Chapman would have batted in a KEY situation. No way I would have had him get a potential game-winning AB just so I could make sure he'd pitch in the 11th.

mgbrown66
04-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Leake is our fifth starter, and that's about what you expect from a #5.

DocRed
04-06-2013, 08:55 PM
4 runs is not a terrible outing. Our 1-4 are so string that expect no drop off. This is unrealistic.

which is a 6.00 ERA...I guess it depends on your definition of terrible. Also his WHIP was 1.67...is that terrible?

Steve4192
04-06-2013, 09:17 PM
which is a 6.00 ERA...I guess it depends on your definition of terrible. Also his WHIP was 1.67...is that terrible?

For an entire season?

Yes. That is terrible.

For a single game?

No. It's not good, but it's not terrible either.

Terrible is one of those games where you give up more runs than innings pitched and burn out the bullpen by getting yanked before the fifth inning. Giving up three runs in six innings is considered a quality start. Leake gave up one too many runs for it to be considered a quality start, but kept his team in the game. Surely there has to be some middle ground between 'quality start' and 'terrible'?

DocRed
04-06-2013, 09:34 PM
For an entire season?

Yes. That is terrible.

For a single game?

Terrible is one of those games where you give up more runs than innings pitched and burn out the bullpen by getting yanked before the fifth inning. Giving up three runs in six innings is considered a quality start. Leake gave up one too many runs for it to be considered a quality start, but kept his team in the game. Surely there has to be some middle ground between 'quality start' and 'terrible'?

LOL at people trying to sugarcoat a 6.00 ERA......

texasdave
04-07-2013, 12:03 AM
I really am not keen on calling three runs in six innings a quality start to begin with. That works out to a 4.50 ERA. Would you consider a pitcher with a 4.50 ERA quality? I don't. The average NL starter in 2012, per baseball-reference, had a 4.04 ERA. So, if 4.04 is average; how does 4.50 merit being called quality? I think there is a problem with that quality start stat.

SweetLou1990
04-07-2013, 07:46 AM
In an ideal situation, Leake would be an ideal long man, so that he most likely would not face a line-up for a 2nd time in any one game.

SweetLou1990
04-07-2013, 07:47 AM
I really am not keen on calling three runs in six innings a quality start to begin with. That works out to a 4.50 ERA. Would you consider a pitcher with a 4.50 ERA quality? I don't. The average NL starter in 2012, per baseball-reference, had a 4.04 ERA. So, if 4.04 is average; how does 4.50 merit being called quality? I think there is a problem with that quality start stat.

they should rename a "quality start" to an "OK start"

mgbrown66
04-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Leaks just needs to learn to stay out of the big inning. He is going to be crafty. Arroyo is not much better, but he gets a pass for eating innings.

Steve4192
04-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Cueto goes 6 innings and gives up 3 runs today .... YAY JOHNNY!!!! YOU THE MAN!!!!

Leake goes 6 innings and gives up 4 runs yesterday ..... LEAKE IS TERRIBLE!!!! GET RID OF HIM!!!

mgbrown66
04-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Cueto goes 6 innings and gives up 3 runs today .... YAY JOHNNY!!!! YOU THE MAN!!!!

Leake goes 6 innings and gives up 4 runs yesterday ..... LEAKE IS TERRIBLE!!!! GET RID OF HIM!!!

True. Except Johnny has entire seasons of sub 3.0 ERA's to hang his hat on.

Cicero2.0
04-07-2013, 07:28 PM
For an entire season?

Yes. That is terrible.

For a single game?

+1

Cicero2.0
04-07-2013, 07:29 PM
True. Except Johnny has entire seasons of sub 3.0 ERA's to hang his hat on.

That is why he is an ace. Leake is not. His upside is probably beign a Bronson Arroyo type of pitcher. For a 5th pitcher this is not a bad thing.

malcontent
04-08-2013, 02:06 PM
CIN-SATIONAL: Left-hander Tony Cingrani’s Louisville debut was pretty impressive. He threw six hitless innings and struck out 14.

But what’s even more impressive is this: Cingrani threw nearly all fastballs. Seventy-three of his 84 pitches were fastballs.

Cingrani, 23, topped out at 96 miles per hour.

http://www.chatsports.com/cincinnati-reds/a/Maybe-Chapmans-heat-in-9th-is-right-way-to-go-0-7665990

Now if he can just develop his change and slider.....

coachpipe
04-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Hes going to have to do something quick because if Cingrani continues to pitch this way. Bye Bye Mikey

coachpipe
04-08-2013, 02:28 PM

:confused:

Steve4192
04-08-2013, 07:42 PM

Latos goes 6 innings and gives up 4 runs today .... was he terrible too?

Honestly, the only difference I see between those three starts is that the bullpen did their job for Latos/Cueto and failed for Leake. Yet Leake takes the heat.

LexRedsFan
04-09-2013, 01:57 AM

Honestly, the only difference I see between those three starts is that the bullpen did their job for Latos/Cueto and failed for Leake. Yet Leake takes the heat.

I don't disagree with your post, but you could easily make the argument that Latos only gives up 1 run if Choo has played CF before or even if he makes a pair of catches he makes probably 9/10 times

HDBoy
04-09-2013, 07:32 AM

Please re-read the thread title. Leake has a recurring habit of giving up early runs and forcing his team to play come-from-behind ball. The thread is not about one start. It's about his career performance -- the latest start was just another example of the problem with a starter who's not quite ready to play on a team seeking a World Series championship, especially when we have a better option in Chapman, who clearly has the stuff to become a third ace (That's assuming you believe that Latos or Bailey will attain ace status this year).

Cueto and Latos have not consistently exhibited the same weakness, which I think is a "head" or confidence problem as much as anything. Beside this, Leake also does not yet have the physical strength to overpower hitters or the craft to outsmart them. He's young -- with enormous potential -- but he should be developing in the minors.

Steve4192
04-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Please re-read the thread title. Leake has a recurring habit of giving up early runs and forcing his team to play come-from-behind ball. The thread is not about one start. It's about his career performance -- the latest start was just another example of the problem with a starter who's not quite ready to play on a team seeking a World Series championship, especially when we have a better option in Chapman

There it is.

It's not Mike Leake's fault the Reds choose not to use Chapman in the bullpen. It's time to let go of that dream. Regardless of how good Chapman might have been as a starter, it is not going to happen, and Mike Leake shouldn't be a whipping boy just because people are frustrated that Aroldis is in the bullpen.

People need to stop evaluating Leake versus what Aroldis Chapman might have done and start evaluating him versus what other fifth starters have actually done. Leake is better than the vast majority of fifth starters around the league, even those on playoff teams.

DocRed
04-09-2013, 07:36 PM

You're kidding me right? Do you not understand what an earned run is? You should have stopped while you had a chance...

HDBoy
04-09-2013, 07:54 PM
I don't -- and won't -- compare Leake to other fifth starters. That may be a reasonable standard for a league average team, but it is not a high enough standard for a team hoping to be a World Series contender.

You don't achieve excellence in life by lowering standards or expectations. You rise to meet and exceed them. Clearly, Leake is not yet capable of excelling at the major league level.

mgbrown66
04-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Arroyo seems to look awesome, then the bottom falls out.

DocRed
04-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Is this site broken?

goreds2
04-10-2013, 12:16 PM
10 wins and around .500 out of a 5th starter is alright coupled with a few no decisions. He'll be alright.

tomnuetten
04-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Iīve no problem with Leake in the 5th spot...

would I love an upgrade, sure I would but till someone in the minors (p.ex. Cingrani) is ready he isnīt a bad solution at all...

mgbrown66
04-10-2013, 04:07 PM
I'm glad he doesn't have to pitch in St Louis. All of the Leake bashers would be in big trouble if he was the only one that didn't give up a run an inning average against the bad guys.

HDBoy
04-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Given these first results for the Reds' starting rotation, perhaps it isn't going fo be as reliable as everyone hopes. Of course it's very early in the season, but what if all (or most) of the starters continue to give up big innings early AND the hitting continues to falter with inconsistency, which we've seen at inopportune times both this year and late last year? Votto, Bruce and Hannigan are key.

All Spring, I've felt this team will prove to be one solid starter short of a winning formula. I've only suspected it was one or two .300 hitters short of "Big Red Machine" power in the lineup. Clearly, St. Louis has some bashers, which the Reds don't really have.

DocRed
04-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Sucky Leake up again...

Kevin1476
04-12-2013, 08:01 PM
I would like to see what Cingrani can do after tonight!

DocRed
04-12-2013, 08:03 PM
I would just rest all the starters anytime Leake starts...at least get something out of his starts. Make him pitch all 9 innings too regardless of the score...

Phoenix2
04-12-2013, 08:17 PM
And one of the best pitchers in baseball has what, 3 innings? Put chapman in the rotation and this team isvawesome.

Phoenix2
04-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Closers are overrated. It's a shame.

HDBoy
04-12-2013, 10:46 PM
After Leake's Pittsburgh game tiday, I checked in using the AtBat 2013 App and saw that he once again spotted his opponents five runs in the first two innings.

Before today's game, I decided I'm going to avoid watching this mediocre minor leaguer's games this season. It looks like I made the right decision -- I already saved myself a lot of heartache today and I don't even want to know the details.

It's just too frustrating to watch the hapless Leake let down the team and the fans time and time again. Somebody let me know when the Reds trade him or send him to the minors. Sorry, but I just cannot tolerate or support this guy. However, thank God we had Chapman riding the bench, just in case we needed him.

DocRed
04-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Good game by Leake....he was only 2 runs away from yet another Quality Start.

Old school 1983
04-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Lets take our time with leake for now. He's shown to be a servicable 5th starter. Even that being said he can't continue to be putting the Reds in 3 to 5 run holes early on. Let him have ages more starts. If he dies t improve and cingrani continues what's he's doing in AAA it's time for a move.

HDBoy
04-13-2013, 05:13 PM
With his combination of a smallish physical stature, a demure attitude and current confidence-level, Mike Leake will never develop into the dominating, overpowering pitcher the Reds currently need.

Worse, he usually wears his knickers above his knees, which makes him look less intimidating, and sort of like a weenie. 😊

At best, Leake might develop into a finesse pitcher some day, like Arroyo. But for now though, he lacks the experience and craftsmanship to achieve this. The Reds should be allowing him to develop these capabilities against minor leaguers, where he stands a fair chance of finding more successes. But at this point in his development, Leake is, very literally, out of his league.

While the unfortunately-named Homer Bailey shows great promise, both he and Arroyo are inconsistent winners, and for now, league average at best. However, they are capable of rising above this. The problem is, a championship team can excel with two aces and two "average" starters, but it's very difficult, if not impossible to win it all with inconsistent hitting AND three average starters who also are so unpredictable and inconsistent.

Consequently, the Reds are in trouble with this starting rotation and lineup combination.

I've been a Cincinnati fan for over 50 years and followed them as a kid during the 1961 pennant chase, the frustrating late 60's, the 1970s powerhouse years, the occasional winning seasons (and championships) in the 80's and 90's, and the more recent rise of this team, that is pulling together the potential to string together multiple pennants and championships. One October in the mid-1960's, I carried the first transistor radios I ever owned to school. I kept opening my schoolhouse desk lid to turn on WLW radio and secretly listen to a Red's playoff game. A vigilant nun figured out what I was doing and confiscated the radio. I've rooted for teams with good hitting and no pitching and great hitting and no pitching, and no hitting and no pitching.

My experience as a loud-mouth, know-it-all fan tells me Cueto and Latos probably will be fine this season, and lead the team (knock on wood). However, if one falters, we're in deep do-do. The Reds really should have found a way to inject one major upgrade into this starting rotation for 2013.

The Reds still need another starter who is a power pitcher (Cue Aroldis Chapman).

Bailey, Leake and Arroyo are similar in that none is a power hurler with the potential to regulalrly dominate hitters. Of the three, Bailey is closest to being this, but still lacks the muscular development and is too inexperienced. Arroyo has the experience and craftsmanship, but not the physical prowess. Cingrani may be a possibility, but he also is inexperienced, and easily could turn out to be another Leake, or maybe a little better and more Bailey-like. However, due to his inexperience and physical maturity, Cingrani probably is not yet the power pitcher the Reds really need either.

To win a world championship, a baseball team ideally needs two or three qualities -- dominant pitching, dominant hitting, defense and bench depth. This 2013 team doesn't quite have the two most important -- dominant starting pitching or hitting -- and the defense up the middle is somewhat suspect with Choo (though the guy clearly is a terrific hitter). The lack of consistent hitting and run production will make a dominating, power closer far less valuable. If the starters and middle relievers are spotting opponents too many runs and the hitters aren't producing enough runs, a great closer doesn't matter. Already, I can see how these Reds might not end up with as many wins as last season, and once again, be handicapped in the playoffs.

Because Cincinnati didn't get a starting rotation upgrade done over the winter, more pressure now is on the hitters, especially the middle of the order, to produce more runs. But with Ludwick out maybe for the entire season, and and Bruce/Votto struggling, the Reds also are short one dominating banger with a .280 or better average, home run production and a flair for dramatic clutch hitting. The Big Red Machine didn't have dominant starting pitching, but it did have a deep and fearsome offensive lineup with Rose, Morgan, Griffey/Geronimo, Perez, Bench and Foster, plus a Gold Glove defense up the middle with Bench, Concepcion, Morgan and Griffey/Geronimo.

So, as I keep saying, on this team, the Leake debate is about far more than a "league average" fifth starter. Leake's role on this team has several domino-like effects. Like the other Reds starters, Mike Leake does have potential, but he just is not a good fit for this particular team, which has been constructed to win now.

HDBoy
04-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Since tonight's game was on ESPN, I broke down and watched, even though my least favorite player, Mike Leak, was pitching. Allow me to be the first to admit that tonight against the Phillies, Mike Leake looked more like Babe Ruth at the plate AND on the mound, rather than well, Mike Leake.

Mastodon
04-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Give Leake credit, he sure came out to play today. Although I can imagine when your team scores that early and that often pitching becomes much easier knowing you can't blow the lead with one bad pitch.

bounty37h
04-18-2013, 10:14 AM
After Leake's Pittsburgh game tiday, I checked in using the AtBat 2013 App and saw that he once again spotted his opponents five runs in the first two innings.

Before today's game, I decided I'm going to avoid watching this mediocre minor leaguer's games this season. It looks like I made the right decision -- I already saved myself a lot of heartache today and I don't even want to know the details.

It's just too frustrating to watch the hapless Leake let down the team and the fans time and time again. Somebody let me know when the Reds trade him or send him to the minors. Sorry, but I just cannot tolerate or support this guy. However, thank God we had Chapman riding the bench, just in case we needed him.

Its a shame, you missed one hell of a game from him yesterday.

Old school 1983
04-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Leake pitched a great game yesterday. The scary thing is that he could be back to giving up early runs his next start. I really hope this doesn't happen and he finds some consistency. Everyone is wondering if Cingrani will stick if he does well and leake does poorly. I'm hoping for a situation where leake does well and cingrani does better. It'd be a win-win for the reds.

texasdave
04-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Leake pitched a great game yesterday. The scary thing is that he could be back to giving up early runs his next start. I really hope this doesn't happen and he finds some consistency. Everyone is wondering if Cingrani will stick if he does well and leake does poorly. I'm hoping for a situation where leake does well and cingrani does better. It'd be a win-win for the reds.

Leake was lights out yesterday. No doubt about that one.

Steve4192
05-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Another fine outing by Leake.

He's pitching as well, if not better, than anyone else on the staff.

3-1 with a 1.87 ERA in May.

'Little boy' indeed.

Old school 1983
05-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Another fine outing by Leake.

He's pitching as well, if not better, than anyone else on the staff.

3-1 with a 1.87 ERA in May.

'Little boy' indeed.

Patience is a wonderful thing. Lets hope leake continues pitching well.

Steve4192
06-23-2013, 09:32 AM
A bump for Reds' ace Mike Leake.

gfas
06-23-2013, 05:02 PM
yeah he pitched well yesterday again, a shame that chapman couldn't hold it

Steve4192
06-23-2013, 05:10 PM
yeah he pitched well yesterday again, a shame that chapman couldn't hold it

If Chapman had started, the Reds would have won that game!

;)

Assembly Hall
06-23-2013, 06:12 PM

;)

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

gfas
06-23-2013, 07:59 PM

;)

yea unfortunately I think the ship has sailed on chappy ever starting for us

PERHitKing
06-25-2013, 05:46 AM
I had my doubts about Leake at the beginning of the season, but I have changed my mind. He has turned into one of the best #5 starters going, with a 7-3 record ( which should be 8-2) and a 2.61 ERA. The real story has been the failure of the bullpen to hold a lead going into the 8th and 9th inning. Hoover and Simon have not been up to the task.

Don Cameron
06-25-2013, 08:42 AM
And that was never their role. Marshall and Broxton (thank God the Reds had the foresight and made Chapman the closer).... anyways Marshall and Broxton have not delivered. Hoover and Simon have pitched like average relievers and should be treated as such. Just because a bunch of overanalyzed numbers says they are in situations, when it comes down to key at bats or innings... you need, over the long haul, elite mental and physically strong pitchers. It is what separates video game or board game or fantasy players to real players....

Don Cameron
I have the moves of Jagger

miamiredskin
06-25-2013, 12:44 PM
this thread is hilarious. could get better insight on pitching at a garden club meeting.

gfas
06-27-2013, 01:02 AM
what is a garden club

miamiredskin
06-27-2013, 05:57 PM
ok...how about a coffeeklatch?

gfas
06-27-2013, 08:01 PM
I don't know, I don't speak German

Steve4192
08-04-2013, 08:16 AM
It's been a while.

TTT for 'little boy' Leake

joshua
08-05-2013, 10:34 AM
One bad game doesn't mean a whole lot.

Leake is a wizard on the mound this year if his last name was Kershaw, he would have been on the All-Star Team. Hopefully this is for real and he doesn't regress from here on.

CmdrCody
08-05-2013, 01:55 PM
If your stuff doesn't move right, it's a long night. Both Arroyo and Leake do best against impatient batters.