PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones epicness

MikeThierry
04-23-2013, 01:14 AM
I'm surprised a thread hasn't been started yet on it. How is everyone feeling about the new season? The last episode may have been my favorite of the series thus far.

medford
04-23-2013, 10:48 AM
probably should belong in the sub forum, there was a lot of discussion of the books when the HBO series was first announced (I asked if anybody had read it, was it worth reading prior to the HBO series, got a ton of feedback)

_Sir_Charles_
04-23-2013, 10:59 AM
I agree with you Mike...I just love this show. I thought the books were "ok", but the show blows it out of the water. I just love how Peter Dinklage is actually getting a substantial role and showing what he's capable of. Hell of an actor IMO. And last nights episode....*grin*

MikeThierry
04-23-2013, 11:02 AM
probably should belong in the sub forum, there was a lot of discussion of the books when the HBO series was first announced (I asked if anybody had read it, was it worth reading prior to the HBO series, got a ton of feedback)

I didn't see the arts and entertainment part of the forum here so can a mod please move this thread there?

medford
04-23-2013, 01:12 PM
I agree with you Mike...I just love this show. I thought the books were "ok", but the show blows it out of the water. I just love how Peter Dinklage is actually getting a substantial role and showing what he's capable of. Hell of an actor IMO. And last nights episode....*grin*

thru the first 3 books, peter dinklage's character is very well represented in the story. If anything, I've felt that the HBO version has maintained more of the book plot line than 95% of what's developed from book to TV/movie

RedTeamGo!
04-23-2013, 02:06 PM
I enjoy the show very much but the books are way better. Not even comparable.

foxfire123
04-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Mike, this is going to be one of the few things we agree on! lol!

Love the series. I actually didn't get into it first season--hubby and I got into it when HBO did a marathon right before the second season started. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well they follow the books, HBO doesn't always have a history of that.

Started reading the book series, and am about halfway through the first one.

ETA: anyone else read Peter Dinklage's 20 questions interview in this month's Playboy yet? Nothing earth shatteringly new from him, but he seems like a very interesting man--highly intelligent and real for an actor.

marcshoe
04-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Somewhere in the extras on the season 1 DVD, one of the creators, iirc, says, "We're just creating George's world," or something to that effect. I think it's interesting that movies and shows that respect the author's vision, such as this and the Harry Potter series, tend to be well-received. Ursula La guin won't let her works be adapted any longer because of how much filmmakers like to change the stories, and this is a long-time complaint writers have.

I don't know; if anything I write would ever happen to be filmed, I think I'd enjoy seeing someone else's interpretation. Still, you have to admit that following the author's vision usually turns out best.

MikeThierry
04-25-2013, 07:38 AM
Somewhere in the extras on the season 1 DVD, one of the creators, iirc, says, "We're just creating George's world," or something to that effect. I think it's interesting that movies and shows that respect the author's vision, such as this and the Harry Potter series, tend to be well-received. Ursula La guin won't let her works be adapted any longer because of how much filmmakers like to change the stories, and this is a long-time complaint writers have.

I don't know; if anything I write would ever happen to be filmed, I think I'd enjoy seeing someone else's interpretation. Still, you have to admit that following the author's vision usually turns out best.

I've also read that George is one of the consultants on that show. In fact in the episode where they showed the Battle of Blackwater, he was essentially the defacto director without really directing it. It's probably the reason why it's taken him a while to come out with a new book.

reds1869
04-25-2013, 08:43 PM
I've also read that George is one of the consultants on that show. In fact in the episode where they showed the Battle of Blackwater, he was essentially the defacto director without really directing it. It's probably the reason why it's taken him a while to come out with a new book.

Well, that and the fact that each book is several million pages long. :laugh:

I love the show. I've only read the first book but plan to read the rest. My wife just finished the third book and loves it more and more with each chapter.

foxfire123
04-25-2013, 10:00 PM
I've heard that if people start pestering him about getting the books out faster, he kills off a Stark. :lol:

He made money off me tonight--I bought books 2-3-4. :D

marcshoe
04-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Well he can't keep that up much longer.

btw, they don't seem as long if you read them on a kindle. Something about the physical thickness, I think.

foxfire123
04-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Well he can't keep that up much longer.

btw, they don't seem as long if you read them on a kindle. Something about the physical thickness, I think.

NO SPOILERS! I just started book 2... ;) One of the guys at work did slip up and tell me about one who dies, plus that Tyrion does something horrifying in book 4, (iirc that's the one...)

WMR
04-29-2013, 01:47 AM

Show better than books?

Uhh... No.

MikeThierry
04-30-2013, 03:53 PM
This past episode reminds me of why this show is probably the best show on TV. There wasn't a whole lot of action to it but tons of character development and things that move the show forward. I get joy in seeing how the pawns are moved from episode to episode and this past Sunday's might have been the most involved in that respect. Marriages to solidify lands, political maneuvering, the political fallout of doing the right thing instead of doing the smart thing, etc. How can you not love this show?

SaboMVP
05-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Episode 9, Red Wedding time.

coachpipe
05-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Good to see Theon getting what he deserves

MikeThierry
05-09-2013, 03:16 AM
Good to see Theon getting what he deserves

haha I agree though even what he's going through, I felt kind of sorry for him to be honest. Anyone else showing sympathy for Jamie Lannister as well? He's a jerk no doubt but I think anyone would kill the king if he was put in that situation and he's seemed to "grow up" a bit through his capture.

11larkin11
05-31-2013, 07:48 PM
2. More. Days.

reds1869
06-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Wow.

foxfire123
06-02-2013, 10:30 PM
I hated that old SOB as Argus Filch in the Harry Potter movies, hate him even more as Walder Frey. I hope there's a painful, sloooow death for him his future...

kpresidente
06-03-2013, 12:53 AM
I hated that old SOB as Argus Filch in the Harry Potter movies, hate him even more as Walder Frey. I hope there's a painful, sloooow death for him his future...

Arya's just going to add him to her list, I'm sure.

wolfboy
06-03-2013, 01:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/q3zwsn5.jpg

marcshoe
06-03-2013, 02:09 PM
That would be a different movie.

A very different movie.

MikeThierry
06-03-2013, 02:54 PM
My god that was a brilliant episode. I loved that they added the Lannister song at the end. It was a nice touch.

bigredmechanism
06-03-2013, 03:50 PM
My god that was a brilliant episode. I loved that they added the Lannister song at the end. It was a nice touch.

And the way the closing credits were silent, just to let it really sink in what was just witnessed. Perfectly done.

I knew what was coming because I (stupidly) read a spoiler, but I still wasn't really ready for how brutal it was going to be.

wolfboy
06-03-2013, 04:42 PM
And the way the closing credits were silent, just to let it really sink in what was just witnessed. Perfectly done.

I knew what was coming because I (stupidly) read a spoiler, but I still wasn't really ready for how brutal it was going to be.

My wife's been a champ. She's read all the books, but not a peep out of her re: spoilers. After Ned got Lannistered, I kind of expected the unexpected going forward. I had a bad feeling Robb's wife was going to end up dead as retribution, but I wasn't expecting the whole Stark posse. Good episode in what's been a great season.

R_Webb18
06-03-2013, 07:58 PM
I love this show. On most shows when you feel someone could or might die it doesn't happen but on this show anything can happen at any time.

Steve4192
06-03-2013, 08:38 PM
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr01/2013/6/3/12/anigif_enhanced-buzz-9504-1370277375-9.gif

Raisor
06-03-2013, 08:58 PM
I knew what was going to happen but it was still a punch in the face

Steve4192
06-03-2013, 09:41 PM
I knew what was going to happen but it was still a punch in the face

Same here.

I whined a lot about replacing Jeyne Westerling with Talisa, but she definitely added something to the Red wedding. Stabbing her in the babymaker with Eddard Junior in her belly definitely brought it to another level.

Raisor
06-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Yuppers

MikeThierry
06-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Same here.

I whined a lot about replacing Jeyne Westerling with Talisa, but she definitely added something to the Red wedding. Stabbing her in the babymaker with Eddard Junior in her belly definitely brought it to another level.

Do you think it adds new story lines they could pursue in the future? I know Talisa was of royalty. Martin has a heavy hand in the TV series so I don't see any problems with the show differing from the book a bit.

WMR
06-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Do you think it adds new story lines they could pursue in the future? I know Talisa was of royalty. Martin has a heavy hand in the TV series so I don't see any problems with the show differing from the book a bit.

Good God, let's hope not.

Steve4192
06-04-2013, 10:09 AM

I don't think so.

If anything, it kills off a popular theory from the book readers (that Jeyne Westerling is pregnant with Robb's child). Stabbing Robb's pregnant TV wife in the uterus might have been GRRM's way of putting an end to that particular theory.

foxfire123
06-04-2013, 10:23 AM

Well, you have to admit, he's going to HAVE to go away from the books at least some for the series. There are just SO many subplots, twists, turns and tangents that's there's no way he can fit it all into the series. He's going to have to change some story directions just to make it work. Not that it lessens the storylines, but just provides some different aspects.

I told one of the guys yesterday that I needed Cliffs Notes to keep up with some of the twists, turns and characters. :laugh:

Steve4192
06-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Well, you have to admit, he's going to HAVE to go away from the books at least some for the series. There are just SO many subplots, twists, turns and tangents that's there's no way he can fit it all into the series. He's going to have to change some story directions just to make it work. Not that it lessens the storylines, but just provides some different aspects.

I told one of the guys yesterday that I needed Cliffs Notes to keep up with some of the twists, turns and characters. :laugh:

My guess is that they'll cut out wide swaths of the Dorne and Meeren subplots. There is a ton of fat to cut there.

WMR
06-04-2013, 12:20 PM
I don't think so.

If anything, it kills off a popular theory from the book readers (that Jeyne Westerling is pregnant with Robb's child). Stabbing Robb's pregnant TV wife in the uterus might have been GRRM's way of putting an end to that particular theory.

Westerling was given potions to kill any fetus, IIRC.

Condensing is way different than complete deviation. There was no good reason to sub "talisa" for Westerling, IMO. They could have even kept the more sensational way of dealing with her but kept more loyalty to the source material.

wolfboy
06-04-2013, 12:54 PM

Condensing is way different than complete deviation. There was no good reason to sub "talisa" for Westerling, IMO. They could have even kept the more sensational way of dealing with her but kept more loyalty to the source material.

As someone who hasn't read (all of) the books (yet), it doesn't matter one iota to me that they deviated on that point. I'm more disappointed that they didn't stress the concept of guest right throughout the show to demonstrate how bad and looked down upon the events of the Red Wedding were. In other words, it seems that they used the shock factor (especially with Talisa) instead of actually building on the themes that were central to this event in the book.

foxfire123
06-04-2013, 01:17 PM
As someone who hasn't read (all of) the books (yet), it doesn't matter one iota to me that they deviated on that point. I'm more disappointed that they didn't stress the concept of guest right throughout the show to demonstrate how bad and looked down upon the events of the Red Wedding were. In other words, it seems that they used the shock factor (especially with Talisa) instead of actually building on the themes that were central to this event in the book.

Agreed. The scene in the book where before they left for the Twins Catlyn is emphasizing to Robb to make sure there was bread and salt offered, and to make sure to eat it should have been in there. They *showed* the bread and salt, but never explained it too well in the series.

wolfboy
06-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Agreed. The scene in the book where before they left for the Twins Catlyn is emphasizing to Robb to make sure there was bread and salt offered, and to make sure to eat it should have been in there. They *showed* the bread and salt, but never explained it too well in the series.

They could have discussed the concept in more detail in prior episodes as well. The guest right issue was prevalent as early as when Tyrion returned to Winterfell from the wall and as late as when Jaime Lannister was at Harenhall with Roose Bolton. Oh well.

Steve4192
06-04-2013, 03:08 PM

She was, but medieval potions are hardly foolproof and the Stark family have a lot of magical juju around them as well. It wouldn't take much suspension of disbelief to accept that Robb knocked her up in spite of her mother's precautions.

Steve4192
06-04-2013, 03:16 PM

I think they replaced her in an effort to 'condense' the convoluted Westerling subplot out of existence. I always felt it was a little too convenient that Robb fell in love with the daughter of a Lannister bannerman. By bringing in an impartial love interest from Essos, they eliminated one of the reasons to be skeptical of their relationship.

Steve4192
06-04-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm more disappointed that they didn't stress the concept of guest right throughout the show

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr05/2013/6/3/10/enhanced-buzz-8609-1370270205-19.jpg

foxfire123
06-04-2013, 05:38 PM
They could have discussed the concept in more detail in prior episodes as well. The guest right issue was prevalent as early as when Tyrion returned to Winterfell from the wall and as late as when Jaime Lannister was at Harenhall with Roose Bolton. Oh well.

True. But given that the guest right hadn't been made clear in the series, the Catelyn speech to Robb would have been an excellent way to introduce it more thoroughly to viewers. :) Writers kinda dropped it there.

wolfboy
06-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Edit: ***do not watch this video if you haven't seen the latest episode, or if you've been living under a rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U6AjgR7D3yg

marcshoe
06-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Spoiler:

At least one of those people is just mostly dead.

coachpipe
06-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Edit: ***do not watch this video if you haven't seen the latest episode, or if you've been living under a rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U6AjgR7D3yg

What movie are those clips from? Man, now when I get off im going to go watch the wonder years with a little wacky tobacky

wolfboy
06-06-2013, 05:15 PM
What movie are those clips from? Man, now when I get off im going to go watch the wonder years with a little wacky tobacky

Are you serious man?!? That's Princess Bride!

coachpipe
06-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Are you serious man?!? That's Princess Bride!

It came out the year I was born...The only time I have seen the movie was on a bus ride in high school to New York to sing in Carnegie Hall. So my mind was elsewhere

wolfboy
06-06-2013, 05:29 PM
It came out the year I was born...The only time I have seen the movie was on a bus ride in high school to New York to sing in Carnegie Hall. So my mind was elsewhere

That's no excuse. Star Wars came out the year I was born.

Go see Princess Bride. You owe it to yourself.

foxfire123
06-06-2013, 05:54 PM
That's no excuse. Star Wars came out the year I was born.

Go see Princess Bride. You owe it to yourself.

I do believe it's on TV a *few* times the next few weeks.

VH1C 337 Thu, Jun 6, 7:00 PM The Princess Bride
VH1C 337 Fri, Jun 7, 3:00 PM The Princess Bride
TVGN 273 Fri, Jun 7, 7:00 PM The Princess Bride
OVTV 274 Sun, Jun 9, 7:00 PM The Princess Bride
OVTV 274 Sun, Jun 9, 10:30 PM The Princess Bride
REELZ 238 Mon, Jun 10, 4:30 PM The Princess Bride
AXSTV 340 HDTV Thu, Jun 13, 7:00 PM The Princess Bride
AXSTV 340 HDTV Thu, Jun 13, 10:30 PM The Princess Bride
TVGN 273 Sat, Jun 15, 5:00 PM The Princess Bride
VH1C 337 Sat, Jun 15, 7:30 PM The Princess Bride
VH1C 337 Sun, Jun 16, 4:00 PM The Princess Bride
REELZ 238 Mon, Jun 17, 9:30 PM The Princess Bride
VH1C 337 Wed, Jun 19, 7:00 PM The Princess Bride

11larkin11
06-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Warning: I've been purposefully vague so to not spoil future seasons. But if you want to be REALLY careful, you may not want to read it.

First: I'm glad they didn't go into detail with guest right. It would have made it a bit too obvious, especially after the Mutiny at Craster's.

Second: For those saying let's really hope they don't veer too far from the books. I agree to a certain extent. But come on, AFFC and ADWD aren't exactly great books swarming with great moments, although there are a few. This is where I think D&D will earn their money. Making interesting storylines from the great characters who doze off after ASOS.

And lastly, on that note, I REALLY don't hope they water down Dorne or the Iron Islands too much. Those are some of my favorite parts of AFFC and ADWD. They can condense a lot of the adventures of people travelling through Westeros from AFFC (one woman in particular who's journey so far has been fun, but once she's off on her own, puts me to sleep every chapter in AFFC) and people travelling on ships in ADWD.

wolfboy
06-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Warning: I've been purposefully vague so to not spoil future seasons. But if you want to be REALLY careful, you may not want to read it.

First: I'm glad they didn't go into detail with guest right. It would have made it a bit too obvious, especially after the Mutiny at Craster's.

Second: For those saying let's really hope they don't veer too far from the books. I agree to a certain extent. But come on, AFFC and ADWD aren't exactly great books swarming with great moments, although there are a few. This is where I think D&D will earn their money. Making interesting storylines from the great characters who doze off after ASOS.

And lastly, on that note, I REALLY don't hope they water down Dorne or the Iron Islands too much. Those are some of my favorite parts of AFFC and ADWD. They can condense a lot of the adventures of people travelling through Westeros from AFFC (one woman in particular who's journey so far has been fun, but once she's off on her own, puts me to sleep every chapter in AFFC) and people travelling on ships in ADWD.

Well, they finally addressed the guest right concept in the season finale. IMHO, not a bad way to handle it, especially considering the concerns about spoiling the Red Weddings events.

Other observations about the finale:

-Is anyone else tired of the Theon torture scenes? Was it necessary to go through those in such excruciating detail?
-Same with any scene involving Stannis. They've become almost painful to watch. I know Stannis is probably played to a tee (dull, unemotional), but his scenes just bore the hell out of me.
-I feel more than a little wrong that I find myself loving Tywin Lannister at times. The way he handled Joffrey in last night's episode was awesome. The dude is absolutely ruthless, but I find myself admiring just how damn good he's been at ruthlessness. We'll see where that goes. If there's anything I've learned about GoT, it's that a good run never lasts too long. You're up Tywin.
-I'm running out of Starks to root for, but the few that are left are pretty badass. Arya is turning into a smooth assassin; Jon Snow takes three arrows with barely a flinch; Bran continues north; and, I'm even starting to admire Sansa's resilience. (side note: Joffrey is the King SOB of SOBs).
-Daenerys seems like one of the few well intentioned characters in this whole mess, but I still can't seem to rally behind her. I'm just not sure what it is.

foxfire123
06-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Well, they finally addressed the guest right concept in the season finale. IMHO, not a bad way to handle it, especially considering the concerns about spoiling the Red Weddings events.

-Is anyone else tired of the Theon torture scenes? Was it necessary to go through those in such excruciating detail?
-Same with any scene involving Stannis. They've become almost painful to watch. I know Stannis is probably played to a tee (dull, unemotional), but his scenes just bore the hell out of me.
-I feel more than a little wrong that I find myself loving Tywin Lannister at times. The way he handled Joffrey in last night's episode was awesome. The dude is absolutely ruthless, but I find myself admiring just how damn good he's been at ruthlessness. We'll see where that goes. If there's anything I've learned about GoT, it's that a good run never lasts too long. You're up Tywin.
-I'm running out of Starks to root for, but the few that are left are pretty badass. Arya is turning into a smooth assassin; Jon Snow takes three arrows with barely a flinch; Bran continues north; and, I'm even starting to admire Sansa's resilience. (side note: Joffrey is the King SOB of SOBs).
-Daenerys seems like one of the few well intentioned characters in this whole mess, but I still can't seem to rally behind her. I'm just not sure what it is.

Just bump Theon off and be done with it, the torture just seems more like a cat playing with a mouse rather than anything with purpose.

Not a fan of Stannis or the Red Witch, but *loving" Davos! He's finding his voice.

Have you read the books? I won't say anything about Tywin. Except agree on the Joffrey handling! Sending little temper tantrum baby off to beddie bye? Yes! :thumbup:

I've said from season 1 and before I read the books, Arya is the one to watch out for. And there's more to Jon Snow than we're allowed to know yet, I just "feel" it. He's more than just a bastard son.... I'm starting to question if he's even Ned's.....

Daenerys. Not sure how I feel about her yet. There's been a lot of her in the books, but other than wanting Westeros back, we dont really know a lot about her motivation.

I liked the interplay between Sansa and Tyrion better in the series than in the books. Sansa is acting less like a pouting child in the series than she does in the books--I mean, she could do far, far worse than Tyrion, should she ever decide to look past the dwarfism. At least he won't beat her to death like Joffrey would.

Redsfaithful
06-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Second: For those saying let's really hope they don't veer too far from the books.

They need to cut out significant parts of books four and five. Like huge chunks.

They are going to catch up to Martin, I hope it all works out, but part of me is convinced we will see the end the show before the end of the books.

11larkin11
06-10-2013, 10:17 PM
They need to cut out significant parts of books four and five. Like huge chunks.

They are going to catch up to Martin, I hope it all works out, but part of me is convinced we will see the end the show before the end of the books.

Entertainment Weekly had an interview up last night where George stated they have plans in place for that, but he really doesn't think it'll happen. I don't see a way they DON'T catch up, unless the writing for Book6/planning for Book 7 is going a lot faster than he planned on. A few months ago he said it was a good possibility they catch up, now he doesn't think so. That gets me very excited. People say he shouldn't rush it, but ASOS is obviously the best book in the series, and possibly the best book I've ever read, and that was published 1.5 years after ACOK. It's now been 2 years already since ADWD, and since he doesn't have a Meereenese Knot to handle, I'm hopeful we get an announcement by the end of the year.

wolfboy
06-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Just bump Theon off and be done with it, the torture just seems more like a cat playing with a mouse rather than anything with purpose.

Not a fan of Stannis or the Red Witch, but *loving" Davos! He's finding his voice.

Have you read the books? I won't say anything about Tywin. Except agree on the Joffrey handling! Sending little temper tantrum baby off to beddie bye? Yes! :thumbup:

I've said from season 1 and before I read the books, Arya is the one to watch out for. And there's more to Jon Snow than we're allowed to know yet, I just "feel" it. He's more than just a bastard son.... I'm starting to question if he's even Ned's.....

Daenerys. Not sure how I feel about her yet. There's been a lot of her in the books, but other than wanting Westeros back, we dont really know a lot about her motivation.

I liked the interplay between Sansa and Tyrion better in the series than in the books. Sansa is acting less like a pouting child in the series than she does in the books--I mean, she could do far, far worse than Tyrion, should she ever decide to look past the dwarfism. At least he won't beat her to death like Joffrey would.

I'm reading the books now, but I'm only near the end of the second book.

foxfire123
06-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Entertainment Weekly had an interview up last night where George

Isn't that the same interview where they said the series may NOT end with book 7, or am I thinking of another interview with him?

I have book 5 on the way, found an international print paperback version of it on Amazon. :)

coachpipe
06-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Its still hard to believe that Jon Snow is supposed to be 14 years old...

But has anyone been following the Gay of Thrones on funny or die? Now that is some funny stuff

foxfire123
06-11-2013, 02:03 PM

But has anyone been following the Gay of Thrones on funny or die? Now that is some funny stuff

Link? :)

coachpipe
06-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Link? :)

http://www.funnyordie.com/topic/gay-of-thrones

medford
06-11-2013, 03:04 PM

So I'm like half a season behind on the show, but have read thru book 3 (plus half of 4) and that is the description of the season 3 finale? Seems like either you didn't mention some key points, or they've moved a couple of significant developments from season 3 to season 4.

wolfboy
06-11-2013, 03:53 PM
So I'm like half a season behind on the show, but have read thru book 3 (plus half of 4) and that is the description of the season 3 finale? Seems like either you didn't mention some key points, or they've moved a couple of significant developments from season 3 to season 4.

Kind of hard to know what you're talking about. You can always read an episode recap. I don't think I missed anything huge from the finale. Then again, I wasn't really trying to be comprehensive.

medford
06-11-2013, 04:06 PM
well I didn't want to give anything away, if you were comprehensive, then I assume you didn't read the books?

wolfboy
06-11-2013, 04:23 PM
well I didn't want to give anything away, if you were comprehensive, then I assume you didn't read the books?

I mentioned it above, but I'm reading through them now. I'm only close to the end of the second book.

marcshoe
06-11-2013, 06:40 PM

Danny's a wee bit older than in the books as well. She'd better be, or someone's in serious trouble.

foxfire123
06-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Danny's a wee bit older than in the books as well. She'd better be, or someone's in serious trouble.

Yeah, I think in the book she was something like 12 when they married her off to the Khal... Sansa was only something like 11 or 12 also.

Steve4192
06-11-2013, 08:13 PM

He's got it right.

Season 3 of GOT did not cover all of the material in ASOS. They gave up on doing a season per book. Season 3 encompassed about 2/3 of ASOS and season 4 will likely finish ASOS and start digging into content from both AFFC and ADWD. We'll see what happens in season 5, but my guess is it will cover the rest of those two books and might even dip into the as yet unpublished book for new material on Dany's stalled-out Essos plotline. Surely they won't have her sit in Meereen for two entire seasons.

WMR
06-12-2013, 01:33 AM
You don't want theon dead, trust me. :lol:

coachpipe
06-12-2013, 03:24 PM
http://moviepilot.com/stories/997928-showrunner-david-benioff-talks-game-of-thrones-season-4-and-beyond?stamp=42342&subscribe_to=201531&utm_campaign=game-of-thrones-producer-showrunner-david-benioff-suggests-books-four-five-may-merge-for-later-seasons-game-of-thrones-season-4-spoilers&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=fb-channel-top-tv-series

Raisor
06-12-2013, 08:02 PM
I want a dragon

marcshoe
06-12-2013, 10:30 PM
I want a dragon

That's what everybody thinks, but once you get one, they're a nightmare to take care of. First, they are ridiculously hard to clean up after, particularly if you keep them in your garage (what they do to your car's paint job alone is ridiculous, not to mention the tires) and then there are all of the neighbors' petty lawsuits over missing dogs, cats, sheep, children, and spouses.

Raisor
06-12-2013, 11:37 PM
I wouldn't keep them in a garage, I believe dragons do better free range. I'd dare anyone to try to sue me.

11larkin11
06-13-2013, 01:14 AM
I wouldn't keep them in a garage, I believe dragons do better free range. I'd dare anyone to try to sue me.

You're already ahead of the Targaryens of old.

Raisor
06-13-2013, 08:27 AM
You're already ahead of the Targaryens of old.

I'm not inbred and crazy so yes

RedEye
06-17-2013, 01:47 PM

I know, that is odd, isn't it? Seems to me that age just works differently for people in this world -- like their physical age and appearance is far ahead of their supposed chronological one. Not sure what GRR's view of this is in the books, but I always just sort of think about it like the characters age faster because they live in such a stressful, intense world that demands they be men and women sooner. What do you think?

reds1869
06-17-2013, 04:49 PM
I know, that is odd, isn't it? Seems to me that age just works differently for people in this world -- like their physical age and appearance is far ahead of their supposed chronological one. Not sure what GRR's view of this is in the books, but I always just sort of think about it like the characters age faster because they live in such a stressful, intense world that demands they be men and women sooner. What do you think?

That's how I take it. GRRM's world is a brutal one where people grow up quickly.

RedTeamGo!
06-17-2013, 04:52 PM
GRRM draws a lot of inspiration from our own history. People acted as adults at a much younger age 1000 years ago on Earth, especially with women bearing children.

The DARK
06-17-2013, 06:03 PM
http://moviepilot.com/stories/997928-showrunner-david-benioff-talks-game-of-thrones-season-4-and-beyond?stamp=42342&subscribe_to=201531&utm_campaign=game-of-thrones-producer-showrunner-david-benioff-suggests-books-four-five-may-merge-for-later-seasons-game-of-thrones-season-4-spoilers&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=fb-channel-top-tv-series

Reading this makes me think it's more and more likely that we see a prequel series about Robert's Rebellion at some point. Of course, it probably wouldn't be any relief on the budget, but a whole extra year is valuable time when they're making it sound like GoT is a 7 season enterprise.

While the events in season 4 look to be set in stone, season 5 will have to work overtime to cram so many characters and events in while making sense. At this point, I predict that half of the storylines in season 5/6 are going to be invented by the writers, and that we see a total of 8 seasons with a prequel as well.

Puffy
04-15-2014, 10:49 AM
So, the Purple Wedding was kind of interesting, no?????

RedTeamGo!
04-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Reading this makes me think it's more and more likely that we see a prequel series about Robert's Rebellion at some point. Of course, it probably wouldn't be any relief on the budget, but a whole extra year is valuable time when they're making it sound like GoT is a 7 season enterprise.

While the events in season 4 look to be set in stone, season 5 will have to work overtime to cram so many characters and events in while making sense. At this point, I predict that half of the storylines in season 5/6 are going to be invented by the writers, and that we see a total of 8 seasons with a prequel as well.

It is impossible for there to be 7 seasons.

As of right now in season 4 they are halfway through book 3. Season 5 will be book 4. Season 6 MAY be all of abook 5, as it is a huge book, wouldn't be surprised if it split up between seasons 6 and 7. Season 7 will either be 2nd half of book 5 or book 6. Season 8 will either be book 6 or 7. There will be a minimum of 8 seasons and most likely 9 or even 10.

The only way this doesn't happen is if the show drastically changes the storyline.

Kingspoint
04-15-2014, 01:20 PM
So, the Purple Wedding was kind of interesting, no?????

It was difficult to see someone that stupid in power for so long, so it was nice to see him go.

Redsfaithful
04-15-2014, 01:29 PM
The only way this doesn't happen is if the show drastically changes the storyline.

They are going to combine books 4 and 5 and nothing of importance will be lost. Not much of importance really happens in book 6 either, honestly. 4-6 can probably be 2 seasons, and then a season to wrap it up.

I have read the actors are only under contract for 7 seasons. If true, the cost of the show will skyrocket from that point on because any integral actor can just threaten to quit if they don't pay them. The show wouldn't be half as good with someone else as Tyrion, for example, how much could he hold out for?

RedTeamGo!
04-15-2014, 01:37 PM
How did you get a hold of book 6?

There are only 5 books out last I checked.

Redsfaithful
04-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Whoops. It feels it's been 6 after the last two.

RedTeamGo!
04-15-2014, 02:23 PM
I agree about Feast for Crows, but I enjoyed Dance With Dragons. The Jon Snow storyline was interesting, and the ending was shocking.