PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider trading Johnny Cueto?

Wonderful Monds
05-03-2013, 06:08 PM
I know this is a radical out of the box thought, but Cueto hasn't been healthy for real games since last September now. The potential for injury was always a knock on his status as a prospect in the minor leagues. It appears there is a chance that might now be a real concern.

He's turned into a real deal big time pitcher the past few years. But now that he's re-injured, I think you have to wonder about his future durability.

Is there any chance you would even consider exploring the trade market for Johnny Cueto this offseason?

dougdirt
05-03-2013, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't actively look at the market. He doesn't have an arm injury.

DocRed
05-03-2013, 06:12 PM
I would consider trading anyone on the roster if the price is right and any GM worth his money would do the same.

Wonderful Monds
05-03-2013, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't actively look at the market. He doesn't have an arm injury.

Maybe not now. But I think you have consider that injuries could cause him to compensate in his mechanics in a way that could cause him to either further injure himself or maybe cause ineffectiveness.

Wonderful Monds
05-03-2013, 06:13 PM
I would consider trading anyone on the roster if the price is right and any GM worth his money would do the same.

Right right, we all would trade anyone for Stephen Strasburg + Bryce Harper, but I'm talking about for a realistic package.

dougdirt
05-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Maybe not now. But I think you have consider that injuries could cause him to compensate in his mechanics in a way that could cause him to either further injure himself or maybe cause ineffectiveness.

Sure. But so could taking a grounder off of the foot. But you don't trade a guy because of that.

westofyou
05-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Every pitcher is an injury risk.

Getting a pitcher up to a #1 is the hardest thing to do in the game, I'd say no at this point

Red in Chicago
05-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Consider it? Absolutely, but only for a solid return.

SweetLou1990
05-03-2013, 07:46 PM
No. Next question please.

Tom Servo
05-03-2013, 07:59 PM
You always listen, but the Reds shouldn't be actively looking to move him.

Vottomatic
05-03-2013, 08:09 PM
I always consider the Reds payroll limitations. They can't pay all of the starting pitching that we have now when they're all due. Reds will always have to mix in some young under control guys to keep payroll in check.

Of Latos, Bailey and Cueto.............I probably shop Cueto first due to his short stature and durability issues.

And the Reds could use an influx of talent in their minor leagues.

05-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Right right, we all would trade anyone for Stephen Strasburg + Bryce Harper, but I'm talking about for a realistic package.

Coincidentally enough, both players who've been injured already this year. FWIW, I could see entertaining it for a package more realistic than that hypothetical. A straight up for another #1? A very strong, somewhat younger #2 with an interesting AA or AAA OF prospect? Scenarios like that could be realistic and, imho, worth listening to.

nate1213
05-03-2013, 10:02 PM
I know this is a radical out of the box thought, but Cueto hasn't been healthy for real games since last September now. The potential for injury was always a knock on his status as a prospect in the minor leagues. It appears there is a chance that might now be a real concern.

He's turned into a real deal big time pitcher the past few years. But now that he's re-injured, I think you have to wonder about his future durability.

Is there any chance you would even consider exploring the trade market for Johnny Cueto this offseason?

I wouldn't hold back from looking at his market simply because I don't believe we will be able to afford Latos, Bailey, and Cueto. But I wouldn't do it until this offseason, and unless we get two blue chip prospects back.

Patrick Bateman
05-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Makes no sense.

Teams don't "overpay" very often anymore in prospects. Nowadays you see teams trading prospects for established talent based on organizational needs. The reason to trade to Cueto would be to move our window based on having poor major league talent and high end lower level prospects.

The Reds aren't that stage. We spent years trying to develop a prospect into a Cueto. It's the perfect time to keep him. Trading him would be purely self-immolation.

RedlegJake
05-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Not now. I think the payroll situation will require moving one of the "big three" but that can wait til after this season. Cueto in the rotation is worth a lot more than prospects or almost any hitter they'd acquire and the payroll problem can wait. If Cingrani develops into the ace his boosters expect and Corcino and Stephenson have good miL seasons then they have an. easier decision...who to keep not whether they'll deal one. But not this year.

Trajinous
05-04-2013, 01:14 AM
I don't think the upgrade in LF offense would outweigh the production of our ace. Cueto has Cy Young potential and it's pitchign that wins playoffs.

scott91575
05-04-2013, 04:59 AM
Cueto is a young ace with a relatively low salary. No team is going to value him more than the Reds do, and therefore you would not get anything better in return. If the Reds were looking for prospects or willing to add salary, maybe you could upgrade to something the Reds would value. Yet neither is the case.

On top of that, it would be a PR nightmare. The only star player on this team that could bring more value to the Reds is Chapman, and that is because the Reds are using him as a closer while another team would value him as a possible starter. So the Reds could get a star, young everyday player for him or starter. Yet once again, that would be a PR nightmare.

UK Reds Fan
05-04-2013, 07:29 AM
1. We lose Arroyo and free up a salary spot next year.

Doea a future rotation of look appealing:
- Latos
- Bailey
- Leake
- Cingrani
- Who knows at #5

And that is assuming we can afford to keep Bailey around. We finally have a rotation and Cueto is affordable, at his peak age and his arm isn't injured. We can fix LF (Xavier Paul is doing a handy job at league minimum).

My bigger concerns are why Bruce can't make an improvement, is Frazier going to look like his 'meh' minor league numbers and SS is stuck with Cozart.

lollipopcurve
05-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Too soon to tell. But, assuming he finishes the season healthy, you have to weigh his contract situation vs. those of Bailey and Latos.

kaldaniels
05-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Right now? No.

But I am gonna figure post 2014/15 we will at minimum not be able to extend one of Latos/Cueto/Homer. So it is within reason over the next few years if it is decided he's the odd man out.

Incredibly team friendly deal through 2015 though.

PuffyPig
05-04-2013, 10:42 AM
And the Reds could use an influx of talent in their minor leagues.

The Reds are contending now, so trading Cueto for propsects would make zero sense.

RBA
05-04-2013, 10:51 AM
The Angels need pitching. Cueto for cash + ?

bucksfan2
05-04-2013, 11:21 AM
I would seriously entertain the idea. The Reds have depth at the pitching spot. While none of his issues have been major arm issues, he hasn't made it through an entire season in the past 3 without spending time on the DL. If you confident in the young guys you have in the minors now may be the time to sell high.

kaldaniels
05-04-2013, 11:26 AM
I would seriously entertain the idea. The Reds have depth at the pitching spot. While none of his issues have been major arm issues, he hasn't made it through an entire season in the past 3 without spending time on the DL. If you confident in the young guys you have in the minors now may be the time to sell high.

And willingly proceed forward with Latos/BA/Homer/Leake/Cing? And ? is our #6? No thanks.

Contending teams don't do that, no offense intended.

joshua
05-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Cueto made every regular season start last year, though.

I wouldn't move him. His deal is so insanely in favor to the Reds that any haul we got wouldn't really be worth it. If Stephenson/Corcino are looking like they could come up and pitch to the level Baily or Latos, someone is going to have to be moved. I wouldn't move Cueto until that happens. He's the real deal and the Reds are in a position to contend. Trading Cueto for anything this season would seem like the Reds are giving up.

PuffyPig
05-04-2013, 02:33 PM
The Angels need pitching. Cueto for cash + ?

Pretty much everyone needs more pitching.

And if we trade Cueto, so will we.

RBA
05-04-2013, 08:41 PM
Pretty much everyone needs more pitching.

And if we trade Cueto, so will we.

Not really serious about trading, I was trying to bait someone into giving us a scenario with a Josh Hamliton trade.

RedsBaron
05-04-2013, 09:10 PM

It probably wouldn't be "selling high." I have to think any other team would believe that Cueto's arm problems are more serious than believed if the Reds try to deal him now.

kaldaniels
05-04-2013, 09:24 PM
It probably wouldn't be "selling high." I have to think any other team would believe that Cueto's arm problems are more serious than believed if the Reds try to deal him now.

What arm problems?

cincrazy
05-04-2013, 09:26 PM

You can never have enough depth. Just ask the Dodgers.

mdccclxix
05-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Not the time to be selling on Cueto. If this is a vacuum question, then okay, but a) he's had a fairly significant injury history recently, and b) the Reds are trying to win a WS. In reality, this is a non-question.

05-04-2013, 11:16 PM
You can never have enough depth. Just ask the Dodgers.

As conventional wisdom goes, I think the above pretty true. But there are obvious exceptions. Since I'm most familiar with the Nationals along with the Reds, they provide an easy example. Got rid of Lannan. Risked losing Chris Young earlier this year. Too much depth on pitching through the system. Likewise for OF/1B which is why the Nats (foolishly imho) let Michael Morse go in order to keep LaRoche.

Sometimes--not usually--you can have the good problem of too much depth at most any position, including pitching.

I continue to think you always listen. Unlikely it'd make sense to trade Cueto while we are clearly contending (agree with that point). But it's a fair question and one I'd guess the Reds brass has discussed. Then again, now that we know Cingrani is human....;)

50YrRedsFan
05-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Homer Bailey is arbitration eligible after this season, and free agent eligible after the 2014 season. He only signed a one year contract before this year started. Is he going to test the free agent waters after next year? Can we afford to keep him? Did we pay too much for Votto's contract where we will be unable to keep anyone who will want substantial money? And what about Arroyo? He will be 37 next year. Will he be resigned or non-tendered? Because of the unknowns with Bailey and Arroyo, I would be very hesitant to trade any of our starters.

05-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Homer Bailey is arbitration eligible after this season, and free agent eligible after the 2014 season. He only signed a one year contract before this year started. Is he going to test the free agent waters after next year? Can we afford to keep him? Did we pay too much for Votto's contract where we will be unable to keep anyone who will want substantial money? And what about Arroyo? He will be 37 next year. Will he be resigned or non-tendered? Because of the unknowns with Bailey and Arroyo, I would be very hesitant to trade any of our starters.

It's a great point but maybe depends on how high one's confidence level about talent on the farm? If Cingrani's the only real prospect everyone likes to make the rotation in the next 18 months, then I'd have to agree with you. If you value any other Louisville pitcher, then maybe okay to think about the OP's question?

Wonderful Monds
05-04-2013, 11:33 PM

I think that's why I got the idea for this thread actually. Arroyo is almost certainly gone at the end of this contract. We need to keep reliable pitchers. I think IMO Bailey and Latos might be more reliable going forward than Cueto is, but I'm not sure what the likelihood of us being able to keep all of them is.

Wonderful Monds
05-04-2013, 11:34 PM
It's a great point but maybe depends on how high one's confidence level about talent on the farm? If Cingrani's the only real prospect everyone likes to make the rotation in the next 18 months, then I'd have to agree with you. If you value any other Louisville pitcher, then maybe okay to think about the OP's question?

I do like Corcino. Stephenson will be up in a few years as well.

50YrRedsFan
05-04-2013, 11:48 PM
The talent level at AA and AAA seems to be very poor right now. Cingrani was, obviously, the best we had on the farm. It's only a month into their seasons, but almost everyone is struggling badly. Corcino is 1-4 with an ERA of almost 8.00. There are a few older pitchers (Reineke, Reynolds, Galarraga) that aren't doing badly, but these guys are already around 30 years old or so, and have been in the majors before. I wouldn't want to pin my hopes on winning on these guys. And the offensive side of the minors is in worse shape. Billy Hamilton, Lutz, and others, are struggling to stay above a .200 batting average.

05-04-2013, 11:51 PM
The talent level at AA and AAA seems to be very poor right now. Cingrani was, obviously, the best we had on the farm. It's only a month into their seasons, but almost everyone is struggling badly. Corcino is 1-4 with an ERA of almost 8.00. There are a few older pitchers (Reineke, Reynolds, Galarraga) that aren't doing badly, but these guys are already around 30 years old or so, and have been in the majors before. I wouldn't want to pin my hopes on winning on these guys. And the offensive side of the minors is in worse shape. Billy Hamilton, Lutz, and others, are struggling to stay above a .200 batting average.

I don't follow the farm teams as closely as I'd like but, as you acknowledge, you're using just a month of data here. For you (or anyone) who knows all the prospects enough to know last couple of years, is it really fair to say there's little-to-no potential for a bona fide starting pitcher besides Cingrani by September, 2014? Hard to imagine.

CrackerJack
05-05-2013, 04:03 AM
I have to mention this, because I've never seen it brought up before...but Cueto looks like he's gained at least 30 pounds in the last couple of years.

His pitching style is hard on his body, and if it's out of shape and lacking flexibility etc.., I can see why he's constantly having the problems he's having (strains and pulls).

Might be time to talk to him about that too?