PDA

View Full Version : Pirates

IABucFan
05-15-2013, 11:55 PM
Hi. I posted on here a little bit last year. But, for those who don't know/don't remember me, I'm a big Pirates' fan. I'm just curious what an outside perspective is on the Pirates. I think this is less smoke and mirrors that what we saw last year. But, I still don't know if they have the staying power. I kind of think their best days might be ahead of them.

But, I'm curious what fans of another team think.

RedTeamGo!
05-16-2013, 12:35 AM
Hi. I posted on here a little bit last year. But, for those who don't know/don't remember me, I'm a big Pirates' fan. I'm just curious what an outside perspective is on the Pirates. I think this is less smoke and mirrors that what we saw last year. But, I still don't know if they have the staying power. I kind of think their best days might be ahead of them.

Seems pretty similar to last season to me. When it comes to the pirates I will not take them seriously until they can win after July.

kaldaniels
05-16-2013, 12:37 AM
Until a readied Gerrit Cole arrives, I don't view them as contenders. When he shows up I'll reaccess.

SpiritofStLouis
05-16-2013, 01:56 AM

Always had a soft spot for the Buccos, my Mother was born and raised 30 miles south of Pittsburgh (grandfather was a big Pirates fan).

I agree with the previous poster, they have to show they can win down the stretch.

The talent is there, they have arguably the best bullpen in baseball, Marte is going to be a star, 'Cutch is maybe the best CFer in the NL, and they have a few players (Alvarez, Walker, etc.) that are a click or two away.

Another starter or two, finish changing the culture (which Hurdle is capable of) and you guys should be in the hunt.

PNC Park is my favorite ballpark in baseball, I usually go 3-4 times a year (when the Cardinals are in town). Watch the game, then cross the Clemente bridge and grab a Primanti's.

Good luck

lidspinner
05-16-2013, 07:38 AM
I have been one of the few Reds fans who have pimped the Pirates the past few years.....I see them as staples in the central race for several years.....they are a pitcher or two away from being really good.....but right now they are a few breaks here and there from being top dog and once they get to the top, you cant argue with that......can they sustain it is the question? I think they can.....even if they fail again late in the year, at least they are putting good stretches together.....they just need the pitching to hold tough till seasons end....

call me silly or whatever but I love it when multiple teams in the central are fighting for a chance to win it all.......it makes the entire season fun to watch.

bounty37h
05-16-2013, 11:32 AM
I need to see them compete through a full season before announcing they have "arrived", but I def think they are well on the right track and wil be there soon. They have some great pieces and are well ahead of where they were just a few years ago for sure. I also like to see them doing well for the division, got tired of hearing how weak the NLC is for so many years.

SpiritofStLouis
05-16-2013, 12:05 PM
They're not there yet, but I really hope that they finish above .500 this year. It's been over 20 years (ouch).

MillerTime58
05-16-2013, 02:32 PM
I think right now it's about 50/50 whether or not they finish above .500

I would say their ceiling is 85 wins, but will likely finish around 75-80.

SpiritofStLouis
05-16-2013, 02:38 PM

Sounds about right. They were so close last year, even after they fell out of the race. Then they dropped something like 7 out of their last 10.

texasdave
05-16-2013, 02:53 PM
I see no reason why the Pirates can't finish above .500. I am not sure how close that will put them at the end of things. I don't think too close. Still, stranger things have happened. The last two years, I felt they had no chance. This year they have a slight chance. One of those minor league pitching studs comes up and excels, you never know.

Vottomatic
05-16-2013, 03:41 PM
I have mixed feelings about the Pirates.

I think they're good enough to finish over .500.

I'm not convinced they will because they've teased the last 2 seasons and slipped when it counted.

New York Red
05-16-2013, 04:04 PM
I thought they'd somewhat turned the corner last year, then they faded badly after the break. So I'm in wait-and-see mode this time around.

IABucFan
05-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks to everyone for responding to this. Basically, I have the same outlook. I'm excited, but cautiously so. FWIW, I think the Reds have a great ball club.

bounty37h
05-17-2013, 09:36 AM

LOL, yup, either they do or they dont-50/50

mikdavrut
05-18-2013, 12:01 AM
I, like others have mentioned, would really like to see the Pirates end the season at over .500. I think it would be REALLY cool to see the Reds take the division, the Cardinals pull a Pirates post All-Star break & fade and the Pirates grab themselves a wild-card. I still don't see that happening this season, but I think they are right on the cusp.

I do NOT hope that they continue to whip up on the Reds the rest of the season however :)

I def. have a soft-spot for the Pirates (much unlike the Cubs...the Cubs can continue stinking up the joint from here to eternity as far as I am concerned).

One Pirates player that I rarely hear much about, yet I, for whatever reason have been a fan of since the 2009 season when I first really took notice of him is Garrett Jones. He's certainly not a world-beater, just, IMO, a good solid player with decent power. Or maybe it's simply due to the fact that I have seen that guy stick it to the Reds quite a few times (thinking back to the '09 season...the guy, to me, seemed like a real Reds killer that particular year).

McCutchen is great (you guys wanna trade Chapman straight up for Cutch? :laugh: - I'd do that trade in a heartbeat!)....

mikdavrut
05-18-2013, 12:11 AM
Also (and this is a bit off-subject here), but one of the things I dislike about the Sun Deck/ORG merger is the fact that I can no longer create new threads here in the Sun Deck. No offense intended whatsoever to the board owners for implementing this policy and no offense intended to the ORG posters, but for whatever reason(s), I feel a tad bit more "at home" here in the good ole Sun Deck vs. the ORG...not sure why, I just do. I always enjoyed my time here on the Deck & simply never cared one iota to ever go through any sort of "vote-in" process to become an org member........but, with that out of the way, I'll ask the question here (that I would have simply created a new topic for otherwise):

How do you guys feel the Brewers will ultimately pan out this season? Started off the season looking pretty bad, got REALLY hot & now they seem to be shading back towards the "bad" end of the spectrum.

Braun is a great player, period. Weeks, well, I have to admit I have expected more from him. Aoki looks good. Lucroy is hit/miss, but can be clutch at times. Axford is not looking very good thus far. Starting pitching has been hit/miss.

So where do you guys/gals see 'em landing at seasons end?

RedlegJake
05-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Also (and this is a bit off-subject here), but one of the things I dislike about the Sun Deck/ORG merger is the fact that I can no longer create new threads here in the Sun Deck. No offense intended whatsoever to the board owners for implementing this policy and no offense intended to the ORG posters, but for whatever reason(s), I feel a tad bit more "at home" here in the good ole Sun Deck vs. the ORG...not sure why, I just do. I always enjoyed my time here on the Deck & simply never cared one iota to ever go through any sort of "vote-in" process to become an org member........but, with that out of the way, I'll ask the question here (that I would have simply created a new topic for otherwise):

How do you guys feel the Brewers will ultimately pan out this season? Started off the season looking pretty bad, got REALLY hot & now they seem to be shading back towards the "bad" end of the spectrum.

Braun is a great player, period. Weeks, well, I have to admit I have expected more from him. Aoki looks good. Lucroy is hit/miss, but can be clutch at times. Axford is not looking very good thus far. Starting pitching has been hit/miss.

So where do you guys/gals see 'em landing at seasons end?

4th behind Reds Cards and Pirates. Just ahead of the Cubs.

mikdavrut
05-19-2013, 08:38 PM
4th behind Reds Cards and Pirates. Just ahead of the Cubs.

Yeah, it's looking that way. Guess I was expecting a little more from 'em...thought they would give the Pirates a run for their money, but it ain't looking good. Hell, they're behind the Cubs right now, and from what I have saw from 'em in the last week or two, they MIGHT end up THERE.

malcontent
05-19-2013, 08:49 PM
I see no reason why the Pirates can't finish above .500.
I'd bet on it.

marcshoe
05-19-2013, 08:58 PM
The Pirates have always been my second-favorite team. Clemente was my favorite player before I became a big Reds fan, even, and I grew up watching their AAA team here in Charleston. I always want to see them do well.

But I don't believe in them.

I think Huntington's a bit of a con-artist, a Jim Bowden type who keeps the team looking like they're on the verge, but never takes the needed next step. I hope I'm wrong, but I'll be surprised if they finish above .500.

Tom Servo
05-19-2013, 09:06 PM
I'll give the Buccos this, Starling Marte seems like the real deal. He and McCutchen could make for a formidable duo in the ensuing years.

mikdavrut
05-20-2013, 01:53 AM
I used to keep an eye on the Astros due to the fact that I live pretty close to Lexington KY and go see a lot of Lexington Legends games. Fun watching some of these young guys and wondering if any of them will pan out and make it to the major leagues. Of course, beginning this year, they are now the A-affiliate for the Kansas City Royals, so I guess I'll start paying a bit more attention to the Royals. Legends games are a lot of fun. Cheap beer, etc. Just a good, fun night out.

ForPetesSake
05-20-2013, 02:24 AM
Pete says they'll be in the race until early August.

IABucFan
05-20-2013, 03:14 PM
I have been a huge Pirates fan since I was a kid. I jumped on the bandwagon in the early 90s, when they had Bonds, Bonilla, Van Slyke, Bell, Lind, LaValliere, Drabek, Smiley, etc. I guess I picked the wrong time to start following baseball, and the wrong team to boot. But, I'm loyal. The Bucs are my team, and I've supported them through thin for twenty years (not much "thick" in there over that time frame). Now that they seem to be right on the verge of putting it together, I'm not about to abandon ship (pun intended).

I do, however, think that their best days are ahead of them. They have a lot of good pitching coming up. Everyone knows about Cole and Taillon, and most people who follow the minors at all have heard of Luis Heredia. But, they have a dark horse in Nick Kingham who is having a big year. He was drafted the same year as Taillon, so he didn't get the press. But I have dreams of a rotation with those four in it and being rounded out by someone (maybe Jeff Locke?).

I'm actually a closet Reds fan as well, sort of. I think you guys have built a very solid team and done it the right way.

SpiritofStLouis
05-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Don't write off the Brewers. They're starting to hit again, except for Weeks, and he can't stay down forever. Plus, Hart will be back soon.

The starting pitching is better than they've shown, and Axeford is coming around in the pen (plus K Rod is ready to join the team soon).

They could have easily swept the Cardinals last weekend.

Captain13
05-20-2013, 04:25 PM
2013 Pirates, see 2009 Reds. The pieces are in place for a strong contending team for years to come. Young pitching, young talent, learning how to win. BTW, I love Marte and McCutchin.

mdccclxix
05-20-2013, 04:31 PM
I thought last year was for real, then their bats went cold. Adding Wandy was smart and I still like their rotation this year. I like them quite a bit, especially as they add a lot of former top talent and play to their strengths. I think Hurdle is a huge pain in the butt and he likes it that way. I think people didn't realize nationally how good Marte could be this year. If he holds up, he's a ROY with maybe even a few MVP votes if they finish high enough. If Baltimore could do it, I know the Pirates can. I just hope they finish 2nd in front of the Cards.

IABucFan
05-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Don't write off the Brewers. They're starting to hit again, except for Weeks, and he can't stay down forever. Plus, Hart will be back soon.

The starting pitching is better than they've shown, and Axeford is coming around in the pen (plus K Rod is ready to join the team soon).

They could have easily swept the Cardinals last weekend.

I agree with this. I hate the Brewers, with a passion. But, there is too much talent on that team for them to stink all year. That said, I do think they finish fourth in the division. It's great having a lot of good teams in the NL Central for once.

mikdavrut
05-22-2013, 10:34 AM
I guess the Brewers could come around, but as of now (of course) I'm just not seeing it. They certainly appear to have some solid pieces without doubt, but I just don't know about that team....they give me a "vibe" (yeah, weak, I know but that's the best way I can describe it) that just does not feel "right"/good about 'em as a team overall. I do think they will finish ahead of the Cubs, but I just can not see 'em pulling past the Pirates when all is said and done. (Now watch 'em go on a double-digit winning spree and make me look like a complete fool :D )

I like the Pirates...they look like a good, solid team to me (and I nearly always root for them sans when they play the Reds).

RedsfaninMO
05-22-2013, 02:30 PM
The Pirates will finish second IMO in the NL Central. The Cards will fall to 3rd or worse with Garcia and Westbrook going down.

SpiritofStLouis
05-22-2013, 02:44 PM
The Pirates will finish second IMO in the NL Central.I sure wish the Cards will fall to 3rd or worse with Garcia and Westbrook going down.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

RedsfaninMO
05-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Fixed that for ya. ;)

Why are you on a Reds board? The arrogance of Cards fans never ends.

RedlegJake
05-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Why are you on a Reds board? The arrogance of Cards fans never ends.

C'mon chill. The guy was joshing at ya. I live in Mo too but I can take kidding. Troll he is not...a bit of teasing between online friends who are fans of different teams? Completely ok by me. If you w
ant to see real trolling check out the idiot Reds fans or idiot Cards fans who troll each city's newspaper forums. This was just in fun, imo.

Vottomatic
05-24-2013, 08:49 AM
I think the Pirates are for real this year. Not to mention, McCutcheon hasn't really gotten it going yet.

Kiko
06-04-2013, 11:03 PM
I haven't paid much attention to the Pirates this year until watching them this past weekend. It is hard to believe they haven't had a winning season since "Sid slid" 1992 and I don't think that will change this season. I don't see their pitching holding up over the 162 game season and am not crazy about the lineup. Good club but they need a couple more studs to get over the top.

TheBlownLead
06-07-2013, 12:05 PM
PNC Park is my favorite ballpark in baseball, I usually go 3-4 times a year (when the Cardinals are in town). Watch the game, then cross the Clemente bridge and grab a Primanti's.

Good luck

I was just at PNC for the second time last weekend. I think I enjoyed it even more the second time around. They really buily a great baseball stadium. The fans were all really friendly too, despite my group being decked out in Reds apparel. One fan gave me the tip to put hot sauce on my Primanti sandwich... thank you kind sir.

Jmiller21kg
06-10-2013, 01:41 AM
Pirates have great pitching staff and bullpen, but I don't know if they have enough offense again. I say next year is the year you contend. But who knows.

Jmiller21kg
06-10-2013, 01:42 AM
I was just at PNC for the second time last weekend. I think I enjoyed it even more the second time around. They really buily a great baseball stadium. The fans were all really friendly too, despite my group being decked out in Reds apparel. One fan gave me the tip to put hot sauce on my Primanti sandwich... thank you kind sir.

PNC is the best park in baseball hands down. View is always gorgeous. I live about an hour north of Pittsburgh and always try and catch a few games. Will be going to the September series.