PDA

View Full Version : chapman

Johnny Fan
05-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Did anyone watch the 9th inning last night? From what I could see and even Chris Welch commented on it that Chapman really didn't seem into the game last night, almost like he couldn't believe he was pitching in a 4 run lead. I also continue to question his pitch selection, someone needs to work on this issue cause we saw last night you can't just get buy with one pitch.

1869's Original
05-16-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure if it's the pressure that fuels him, but he just isn't as sharp when he doesn't have the game online - don't get me wrong, as this is a great quality to have.

Just give Brian Price some time to work with him and you'll never know he even had a problem.

Plus, we should be happy that Chapman has to pitch in these situations because we're winning by too much!! Ha

Vottomatic
05-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Maybe it's just me, but his 97mph-100 mph fastball seems much more hittable this year than in previous years. The stats don't back that up, but the eyetest does.

RedTeamGo!
05-16-2013, 01:09 PM
18 innings pitched
28 strikeouts
8 walks
11 hits

The only problem chapman has is underuse.

1869's Original
05-16-2013, 01:13 PM
18 innings pitched
28 strikeouts
8 walks
11 hits

The only problem chapman has is underuse.

agreed

cumberlandreds
05-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Most closers seem to have problems when they are brought into a game that isn't a save opportunity. I think the adrenaline rush in tight games gives closers that little extra to get the job done.

Old school 1983
05-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Maybe it's just me, but his 97mph-100 mph fastball seems much more hittable this year than in previous years. The stats don't back that up, but the eyetest does.

It's not just you. I've noticed it a bit too. I'm not too worried though. It's not like he is getting shelled and I think he'll be back to peak form before the year is out.

MillerTime58
05-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Absolutely nothing to worry about. Last year he had a horrible stretch, but got himself out of it. The same will probably happen this year.

bounty37h
05-16-2013, 02:35 PM
His last pitch was a nasttty slider.

KC2135
05-16-2013, 02:58 PM
I think this goes back to why he wants to be a closer. The pressure amps him up. I understand both sides of the argument, but with him being comfortable with the game on the line is going to secure us wins then I'm all for it.

Mastodon
05-16-2013, 11:27 PM

I noticed that too. Like you said the stats don't back it up so I am thinking we have seen so much of Chapman and his fastball it's easier to follow it because we're looking for it.

RedTeamGo!
05-17-2013, 08:13 AM
I noticed that too. Like you said the stats don't back it up so I am thinking we have seen so much of Chapman and his fastball it's easier to follow it because we're looking for it.

It is pretty simple, you pitch that hard at the bottom of the strike zone big league hitters can drop the barrel on it and crush the ball. You pitch that hard at the top of the strike zone and nobody can touch you. The at bat yesterday Chapman was frustrated he got to a 2-0 count and threw it low and right down the middle of the plate and Ozuna just had to touch the ball and with it's velocity it flew.

He did the complete opposite the previous at bat against Polanco. Chapman got ahead in the count and pitched exclusively at the top of the zone. Even if Ozuna would not have swung at any high pitches the worst that would have happened is he would have walked. With a runner on third and first and second open I do not see this as that much of a problem.

I am sure Price knows this as he is one of the best and I am hoping he uses this game as a lesson for Chapman.

Johnny Fan
05-17-2013, 08:54 AM
I am not sure whom is to blame, be it Chapman, the catcher or Dusty and Price, but this continual use of Chapman only throwing fastballs is sad. As we saw, anyone can hit a fastball if they know it's coming and it's in the zone. In Wednesday's game with a 4 run lead the mix of pitches should have been more balanced, allowing Chapman to use his second pitch and maybe get more comfortable with it. Also the misuse of this bullpen could be the downfall of this team at somepoint.

RedsBrick
05-17-2013, 09:09 AM
I don't think Chapman has the confidence in his second pitch that he needs to have....that he better gain in the near future.

His velocity is definitely there...but he needs to mix it up a little more, imo.

Old school 1983
05-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Chapman and cingrani have the same issue. Too many fastballs and not enough other stuff to keep hitters honest. Hitters are sitting fastball and cheating on the pitch especially with chapman. It looked like galvis was starting his swing before chapman had even let go of the ball. When you can do that especially to a big league hitter a 100 mile an hour fastball becomes hittable. IMO someone should teach chapman the cutter. It'll keep batter off balance and would be hard to distinguish from his fastball and slider.

lidspinner
05-20-2013, 09:24 AM
its the same problem Chapman has had since day 1, his fastball is golden but his other pitches he cannot throw them for strikes so batters get in there and sit dead red, once they get ahead in the count its almost like they have him where they want him.....thats not a fun place to be as a pitcher.......once he throws a few secondary pitches for strikes he will go back to being unhittable.....you cant hit a 98-100mph fastball when your waiting on your back foot for the slider....and vise versa, you cant hit a slider when your trying to get ahead on your swing expecting a fastball in triple digits.....but until you can throw secondary pitches for strikes, any decent hitter worth his salt will eat you up.

RedTeamGo!
05-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Hahaha - he was full on cuban pastries. Yesterday totally sucked but this makes it somewhat amusing. According to a philly reporter Chapman ate 18 donut like pastries before the game and could "barely breathe."

On a serious note, this "man" gets paid millions of dollars to act like an unsupervised child? Speeding tickets, Strippers, and now gluttony? What in the world is wrong with this guy?

Johnny Fan
05-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Hahaha - he was full on cuban pastries. Yesterday totally sucked but this makes it somewhat amusing. According to a philly reporter Chapman ate 18 donut like pastries before the game and could "barely breathe."

On a serious note, this "man" gets paid millions of dollars to act like an unsupervised child? Speeding tickets, Strippers, and now gluttony? What in the world is wrong with this guy?

How is he any different then other young folk his age...

RedTeamGo!
05-20-2013, 10:59 PM
He's 25... Time to grow up

Beer&Bourbon
05-20-2013, 11:00 PM
It's unlikely that was the reason for his poor performance. He hasn't been pitching well of late - although he did fine tonight. May has been a rough month for him in the past as well. We just have to look forward to more of the magic he showed us in April.