PDA

View Full Version : Daft Punk - "Random Access Memories"

Wonderful Monds
05-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Anyone heard this yet? I think it's pretty great, albeit kind of a big departure as far as Daft Punk's style goes, seeing as its basically a straight up disco record.

Larry Schuler
05-16-2013, 07:47 PM
It comes out the same day as the National's Trouble Will Find Me. A gutsy move on Daft Punk's part.

Wonderful Monds
05-16-2013, 07:56 PM
It comes out the same day as the National's Trouble Will Find Me. A gutsy move on Daft Punk's part.

The National aren't having a launch party for their record at a farmer's fair in "Wee Waa", Australia, though!

Yachtzee
05-26-2013, 02:22 AM
Daft Punk is playin' at my house, at my house.

cincyinco
06-20-2013, 04:05 AM
Very good album, but I long for Homework. Still, its in my rotation and very well done. Some super catchy stuff on there.

Ohayou
06-20-2013, 10:23 AM
I didn't think it was good, but then again, I don't like disco.

And this is a disco album. It has a few funky tracks and a couple of downright good songs, but the majority of it is either straight-up disco, boring, or just bad.

marcshoe
06-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I've tried, but in the end I heard it all before.

Larry Schuler
06-21-2013, 01:03 PM
So we can all agree that Trouble Will Find Me is better?

marcshoe
06-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Yep.

Wonderful Monds
06-21-2013, 04:42 PM
So we can all agree that Trouble Will Find Me is better?

I don't know, I think I prefer RAM, but they're also kind of apples and oranges to me. Trouble Will Find Me is a more consistent album, but the high points on RAM are higher. Sea of Love is one of the best songs I've heard all year though and might be like a top 5 song for me as far as The National's catalog goes.

Wonderful Monds
06-21-2013, 04:47 PM
I didn't think it was good, but then again, I don't like disco.

And this is a disco album. It has a few funky tracks and a couple of downright good songs, but the majority of it is either straight-up disco, boring, or just bad.

I think a good chunk of it is amazing, honestly. Both of the Pharrell songs are awesome, Instant Crush featuring The Strokes' singer is great, and the song with Panda Bear is one of my favorite things either of them have done. Motherboard is even a great song too as far as the jazz/disco tracks go.

I do agree it drags in a lot of spots. Fragments of Time is sort of a dud, and I feel like Giorgio by Moroder was kind of a giant mistake.

Larry Schuler
06-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Somehow RAM became an event that transcended music. People who normally never espouse their musical tastes publicly were posting about it on Facebook and every media outlet, even non-music outlets, were claiming it was a milestone in human history. I admit that I'm not a huge Daft Punk fan but I listened to RAM and it felt lighter and less interesting than their debut Homework. I'm also not convinced that a majority of people who bought or advertised their listening of the album on Fbook/Twitter are suddenly disco purists. It felt like the album became a cultural short hand for a certain demographic of young people to feel connected to eachother.

Meanwhile, Trouble Will Find Me is perfect and sincere and the best musical event since Boxer.

marcshoe
06-21-2013, 09:42 PM
I guess this is the wrong place to bring up Modern Vampires of the City. . . .

Larry Schuler
06-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Bring on the chipmunk voices.

Wonderful Monds
06-23-2013, 09:04 PM
I guess this is the wrong place to bring up Modern Vampires of the City. . . .

It's really good, I thought I was over V-Dub, but that new album really surprised me. Diane Young might be the most fun song I've heard in 2013.