PDA

View Full Version : Soto and Lutz

Old school 1983
05-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Call me crazy but I am getting a really good vibe from both of these guys and part of me is wondering what a reds lineup with Lutz in left and soto at third would look and play like.

cincyredway
05-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Does soto play left field also, or just infield. But I agree with u I
Like the both of them. soto will b gone tomorrow, when cueto is activated. Lutz has really impressed me thus far and would like to see him get more time in LF.

Old school 1983
05-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Does soto play left field also, or just infield. But I agree with u I
Like the both of them. soto will b gone tomorrow, when cueto is activated. Lutz has really impressed me thus far and would like to see him get more time in LF.

I think soto has been tried in left but is kind of slow. I know he has been playing 1st and 3rd at AAA.

Red Swagger
05-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Billy Hamilton
Lutz
H Rodriguez
Soto

Reds have a nice group of young players up and coming. We need more though, some C and SS depth would be nice.

Old school 1983
05-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Billy Hamilton
Lutz
H Rodriguez
Soto

Reds have a nice group of young players up and coming. We need more though, some C and SS depth would be nice.

They do. As far as catcher tucker Barnhart at AA is considered major league ready defensively abs his bat seems to be doing well this year. Still don't count out Mez. I think we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg with his offensive potential.

RedlegJake
05-21-2013, 09:48 AM
They do. As far as catcher tucker Barnhart at AA is considered major league ready defensively abs his bat seems to be doing well this year. Still don't count out Mez. I think we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg with his offensive potential.

When Hanigan gets expensive Barnhart will take his place. Hopefully Mes steps up but worst case the Reds will still have a very good set of catchers. Tucker is an excellent comp to Hanigan with more power and a bit less OBP. Game calling and defense both are excellent. The importance of Barnhart is when Ryan gets expensive and Tuck comes up will be the same time that the young arms in the system start hitting the roster too and they'll be familiar with Barnhart already. Catcher seems ßet to me for the next 5-6 years and without breaking the bank.

RedlegJake
05-21-2013, 09:56 AM
I like Lutz a lot but not Soto. See a long swing, poor discipline, ok contact but iffy pitch recognition....ML pitchers will eat him alive. He might have a decent start until the league gets a book on him. Another free swinger. Lutz has a pretty swing, and better discipline though I think he would benefit playing FT in AAA a bit longer. Soto's best position is easily 1b where he is blocked. Packaged in a deal is the best way the Reds may benefit from him.

Old school 1983
05-21-2013, 10:09 AM
I like Lutz a lot but not Soto. See a long swing, poor discipline, ok contact but iffy pitch recognition....ML pitchers will eat him alive. He might have a decent start until the league gets a book on him. Another free swinger. Lutz has a pretty swing, and better discipline though I think he would benefit playing FT in AAA a bit longer. Soto's best position is easily 1b where he is blocked. Packaged in a deal is the best way the Reds may benefit from him.

I was really high on lutz from go. I've heard reports like the one you are telling me about soto here. Idk what it is. Kind of a gut feeling but everything facts wise and eye test wise tells me lutz is a better prospect.

I loved your report in Barnhart. It sound like the reds will continue to have a great catching tandem

REDREAD
05-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Lutz has been a wonderful surprise.
I hope he becomes a useful ML player.
If he could hit well enough longterm to be a starting OF, that would really be helpful.

bellhead
05-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Soto has never met a pitch he didn't like...

That's his downfall. He's sporting a 3 to 1 strikeout to walk ratio this year with 31 strikeouts in 148 AB, that's a 20% rate... Votto is right there with him, but is even at a 1 to 1 ratio...