PDA

View Full Version : Jean Stapleton, All in the Family star, dies at 90

redsmetz
06-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Jean Stapleton died today. Here's her obit from Variety:

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/jean-stapleton-who-played-edith-bunker-on-all-in-the-family-dead-at-90-1200490998/

moewan
06-02-2013, 09:09 AM
A brilliant comedic actress, R.I.P. dingbat

Joseph
06-02-2013, 11:42 AM
So sad to hear. RIP.

RichRed
06-02-2013, 12:31 PM
I hope, wherever she is now, someone's bringing HER a beer.

RIP, Jean and Edith.

cumberlandreds
06-03-2013, 07:50 AM
I saw this over the weekend. She was a great actress and did a lot of other things besides being Edith Bunker. She absolutley astounding in that role and will forever be known as Edith Bunker. RIP

Raisor
06-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Finally her reign of terror is over

redsfandan
06-12-2013, 04:13 AM
Does anyone even think a show like that could be on network tv today? That's probably a question more appropriate to a different thread but that show was pretty unique in that it was sooo politically incorrect even though at the time it wasn't. It was just honest. But, there's no way a show like that could be on network tv today and that's a shame.

Anyway, goodnight Edith. R.I.P

JaxRed
06-12-2013, 06:53 AM
Politically incorrect? Archie was the one that was politically incorrect and the whole object of the show was to show him as a buffoon. That show was as politically correct as they come.

cumberlandreds
06-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Does anyone even think a show like that could be on network tv today? That's probably a question more appropriate to a different thread but that show was pretty unique in that it was sooo politically incorrect even though at the time it wasn't. It was just honest. But, there's no way a show like that could be on network tv today and that's a shame.

Anyway, goodnight Edith. R.I.P

Agree with you. No way that show would be on TV today. Too many people would be offended by Archie.

RBA
06-12-2013, 09:12 AM
Agree with you. No way that show would be on TV today. Too many people would be offended by Archie.

I think it could make it on HBO.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

cumberlandreds
06-12-2013, 09:18 AM
I think it could make it on HBO.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Your right it could on the cable avenue but on the networks like CBS,NBC etc... no chance.

redsfandan
06-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Politically incorrect? Archie was the one that was politically incorrect and the whole object of the show was to show him as a buffoon. That show was as politically correct as they come.

I disagree. That show would be very politically incorrect today. Times have changed. Too much imo. But, if you think that show could be on network tv today then you're mistaken.

JaxRed
06-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Then we'll agree to disagree, I think you are completely wrong.

redsfandan
06-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Then we'll agree to disagree, I think you are completely wrong.

That's fine. But, there might be a reason why you're in the minority.

06-13-2013, 03:41 PM
I saw this over the weekend. She was a great actress and did a lot of other things besides being Edith Bunker. She absolutley astounding in that role and will forever be known as Edith Bunker. RIP

Definitely a lot more to her than Edith Bunker

http://www.thatericalper.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Jean-Stapleton-and-Alice-Cooper.jpg

Sea Ray
06-13-2013, 04:09 PM

I disagree. Meathead was shown to be a buffoon every bit as much as Archie and that's why it was so well done. I think Norman Lear was a genius as to how he balanced the arguments and you really couldn't tell that he was a far left guy. In fact, look at how the characters evolved. Meathead went from a long haired guy mooching off his wife's parent to a clean cut responsible father who supported his family at the end. That kind of evolution supports conservative values. Don't forget the show picked on George Jefferson as much as Archie showing that blacks can be as guilty as whites.

Unfortunately that show could never be on the networks today but neither could the old cartoons. They'd never show the Jetson's episode where Jane tries to get her driver's license and her teacher stops off to check his life insurance policy before he agrees to let her take the wheel.

GAC
06-24-2013, 05:02 AM

Yep. And there were other popular sitcoms whose stars were Archie Bunker "types", as far as the bigotry and societal/cultural ignorance goes. Like Fred Sanford and George Jefferson. All great shows IMO.

And I'm also old enough to remember when they took Amos and Andy off the air because of it's stereotypes. Yet that show would be rather tame compared to today's standards.