PDA

View Full Version : Weren't We Looking [for] a Righty Power LF ??

Pacman Fever
07-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Manny Ramirez Signs With Texas Rangers

"Manny spent the entirety of his early summer months playing for the EDA Rhinos of the Chinese Professional Baseball League. During his time with the Taiwan-based club, Ramirez batted .352, belting eight home runs and knocking in 43 runs in 49 games.

Expected to return for the second half of the Chinese season, Ramirez suddenly parted ways with the club in June, looking for a chance to make a United States return. Ramirez's agent, Barry Praver, spoke with Fox Sports' Jon Paul Morosi about the move and the former Boston Red Sox great's desires.

“The reason he decided not to return for the second half was to free himself to be available to play in the United States,” Praver said. "This whole thing with Manny in Taiwan was a phenomenon. He invigorated the league. Attendance went through the roof. It was a very positive experience for both sides."

Should Ramirez keep his nose clean and perform on the field, this could be a great low-risk move for Texas. The Rangers are just 0.5 games out of first place in the American League West coming into Wednesday night, but they are in need of a right-handed slugger to breathe life into their lineup.

Ramirez is 14th on the all-time home-run list with 555 and a career .312 hitter. He's been named to 12 All-Star Games, won nine Silver Slugger awards and was the 2004 World Series MVP with the Red Sox."

I'm pretty sure that a healthy middle-aged Manny could outplay a healthy middle-aged Lud right now!! (much less an injured/possibly out 4 the year Lud)....I mean, as a Reds/Bengals fan, I know this is much more a Mike Brown kinda move than a Bob Castellini one, but as Cincinnati owners these two have to atleast enjoy a luncheon or two a year, right?....especially with our new found love for former Cleveland Indians this year....Just Sayin' !!

marcshoe
07-04-2013, 02:28 AM
Quite a few people here would have liked it to have happened, but I don't know. It seems that Manny's been a distraction everywhere he's been since Boston. Good luck to the Rangers, though. I'm a big Beltre fan and tend to pull for Texas, so I hope this works out for them.

Dwarftree
07-04-2013, 05:40 AM
It seems that Manny's been a distraction everywhere he's been since Boston.

This!

Plus: I donīt want to see a convicted dopehead in our uniforms. Glad he went to the Rangers system and did not end up in the Queen City.

RedlegJake
07-04-2013, 11:15 AM
He's much better off in the AL where he can DH. Even if he hit halfway like old Manny can you imagine his D at his age and lack of recent PT? No thanks. A solution needs to at least not give away too much and hurt the pitching staff ... gold glove isn't necessary but at least adequate D.

JaxRed
07-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Manny is 41. He is not going to be doing anything good in the majors ever again.

Steve4192
07-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Manny is 41. He is not going to be doing anything good in the majors ever again.

I think Manny's bat could still make a positive contribution to a MLB team if used properly. Problem is, his offense is no longer strong enough to offset his deficiencies with the glove and his kooky 'Manny being Manny' shenanigans.

KC2135
07-05-2013, 02:57 AM
No! He would have to play D

Pacman Fever
07-05-2013, 04:01 AM
No! He would have to play D

I don't recall much about Manny's outfield play, but if he could perform atleast like a middle-aged '93-'96 Kevin Mitchell out there, & put up those same type offensive #'s (not MVP #'s mind you), then I would've definitely taken it!!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mitchke01.shtml

blumj
07-05-2013, 06:39 AM
Manny was always a DH, even when he was still young enough to stand in the OF all game, the glove he was wearing was mostly for show.

Plus Plus
07-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Can we use complete words and not texting language when naming threads, please?

Redsfansince72
07-05-2013, 03:31 PM
What about Jeff Francoeur? KC requested unconditional release waivers on Francoeur just today. Maybe he could find his stroke here.. and he has a cannon for a outfield Arm and he is only 29

Pacman Fever
07-05-2013, 08:02 PM
What about Jeff Francoeur? KC requested unconditional release waivers on Francoeur just today. Maybe he could find his stroke here.. and he has a cannon for a outfield Arm and he is only 29

Why the heck not!! I mean hell, we grabbed another KC reject in Brox just this past summer, didn't we?

dougdirt
07-05-2013, 08:03 PM

No. Terrible plate approach. Can't find first base with a GPS. This team needs offense, not defense.

Ohayou
07-05-2013, 08:46 PM

I disagree. Raul Ibanez is 41, and he's not even half the player Manny is.

JaxRed
08-13-2013, 08:20 PM
I disagree. Raul Ibanez is 41, and he's not even half the player Manny is.

And he was released.

CmdrCody
08-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Manny makes Donkey look like a good left fielder.

marcshoe
08-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Okay, here's another one that won't happen for a variety of reasons (salary, injury recovery): try to get Aramis Ramirez on a waiver deal and put Frazier in the LF mix.

This would work better if Ramirez were a free agent at the end of the year, but he isn't, and he's owed 16 million next year.

But hey, he'd look good hitting fourth.

Kc61
08-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Okay, here's another one that won't happen for a variety of reasons (salary, injury recovery): try to get Aramis Ramirez on a waiver deal and put Frazier in the LF mix.

This would work better if Ramirez were a free agent at the end of the year, but he isn't, and he's owed 16 million next year.

But hey, he'd look good hitting fourth.

I've thought about Ramirez for the Reds. It's a good thought, he obviously doesn't fit in the Brewers' plans, the Reds could certainly use a good RH bat.

And while Ramirez has been hurt and somewhat less effective this year, he led the NL in doubles in 2012 and is a proven hitter.

Frazier then takes on a utility role. Issue is money and would take a creative trade.

Tom Servo
08-26-2013, 03:39 PM
I'd take Aramis Ramirez in a heartbeat, he would be perfect to bat 4th behind Votto.

BEETTLEBUG
09-08-2013, 11:32 AM
They could get Ramirez and slide Fraizer over to short.

bob jones
09-08-2013, 05:56 PM
wladimir balentine 50 homers

KYBatsFan
09-09-2013, 02:03 PM
It was interesting to look at the Dodgers lineup - no one batting under .270