PDA

View Full Version : Can the Reds sign Bailey long term?

armybrat45103
07-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Coming off his 2nd no hitter, I began to wonder if this was only a stop for Bailey on his way west. He turned down a multi-year deal back in March and gave no indication of reconsidering. Your thoughts?

topsyt
07-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Very Doubtful- I think the Cincinnati Self righteous Media with Marty and P Doc leading the charge just took care of any long term signing hopes. Just an ugly situation. I would rather have Bailey long term than any of the media clowns currently around.

armybrat45103
07-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Also, it was stated yesterday that Bailey refused to be interviewed by WLW, who instead chose Hanningan in his place. Hope bridges are built because I think this guy can become something special.

Pacman Fever
07-04-2013, 06:05 PM
While the other night was AWESOME, Bailey is still a bit too "feast or famine" for my taste (5-6 record). If it comes down to Bailey OR Latos, I'd much rather get some TOP prospects for "Batman", & sign Latos to the long-term deal.

I just really hope that we don't just "wait it out" and end up getting nothing for him.

dougdirt
07-04-2013, 07:23 PM
While the other night was AWESOME, Bailey is still a bit too "feast or famine" for my taste (5-6 record). If it comes down to Bailey OR Latos, I'd much rather get some TOP prospects for "Batman", & sign Latos to the long-term deal.

I just really hope that we don't just "wait it out" and end up getting nothing for him.

They will wait it out. There is no way a contending team is going to trade a pitcher like Homer Bailey.

Also, his record means nothing. The sooner people stop looking at pitcher records (or even when baseball decides to stop awarding a win or a loss to a single player on a team where at least 9 guys played for that team), the better.

dfs
07-05-2013, 10:01 AM
He turned down a multi-year deal back in March.

I have no recollection of this. Can anybody verify?

RedlegJake
07-05-2013, 10:23 AM
I have no recollection of this. Can anybody verify?

This. I remember he turned down an offer to talk extension but I didn't recall that it was very specific on the Reds part and I didn't think it all that credible or alarming if it was. A player showing signs of busting out deciding not to talk before really establishing a high value didn't seem unusual or a sign he wasn't interested in staying. Just he felt he could improve his leverage a lot by another season.

This stupid fued with WLW doesn't help though. Players have rejected franchises for less.

Jmiller21kg
07-05-2013, 11:43 AM
I would rather give Latos the long term deal. I hope we can bring Bailey back, but don't know if we could. The media is stupid lol I am sure they are still throwing a fuss about Bailey not interviewing and saying the f word.

Beer&Bourbon
07-05-2013, 02:03 PM
I'd like to bring Bailey back if possible, but he's definitely up and down a lot. We've seen stuff like this from him in the past, but it's certainly not something that we can expect from him regularly. A stable consistently good pitcher is better than an erratic pitcher that throws great some nights and terrible other nights. The second situation puts a lot of stress on your bullpen.

that_guy
07-05-2013, 08:12 PM
I think they can sign him back, but will likely have to pay market value to do so. I don't get the feeling that he will give the Reds a discount, I tend to think it will be the same with Latos.
I do think keeping Price, as pitching coach, or Manager, could go a long way to retaining Homer...

I'll be very disappointed if Homer is gone next year, it took a lot of patience waiting for him to breakout, and over the past 12 months the patience has been rewarded...

Pacman Fever
07-05-2013, 09:19 PM
I think they can sign him back, but will likely have to pay market value to do so. I don't get the feeling that he will give the Reds a discount, I tend to think it will be the same with Latos.
I do think keeping Price, as pitching coach, or Manager, could go a long way to retaining Homer...

I'll be very disappointed if Homer is gone next year, it took a lot of patience waiting for him to breakout, and over the past 12 months the patience has been rewarded...

He won't be a free agent before '15 anyways, so don't worry about "next year": http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/242/homer-bailey

gfas
07-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Very Doubtful- I think the Cincinnati Self righteous Media with Marty and P Doc leading the charge just took care of any long term signing hopes. Just an ugly situation. I would rather have Bailey long term than any of the media clowns currently around.

Homer is smart enough to know that there is media in every MLB town. It will likely have extremely little bearing on whether or not he signs a long extension with the Reds. If the dollars and years are what he wants, he'll stay... if they're not, he won't.

BluegrassRedleg
07-06-2013, 05:03 PM
It will come down to money, like it does in 99/100 sports contracts.

LexRedsFan
07-06-2013, 05:53 PM
I think we can afford him, but... Will we want to is a different story. He is going to command a LOT of money on the open market.

BungleBengals
07-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Well at least he doesn't have Boras as his agent.

SporkLover
07-09-2013, 12:42 AM

W/L records is a poor metric on its own to measure a pitchers performance. 11 of his 17 starts have been quality starts, He has a reasonable ERA, WHIP, FIP career wise he's an average to above average pitcher. This year has been a career year for him so far, FIP suggests he's actually pitching better than his ERa, W/L records shows. Last year he ate a lot of innings, had a sub 4 era, above 500 pitcher..... All the makings of a solid back end of the rotation pitcher..... True no ace... But he can eat innings, give the BP a rest, and still give the team a decent chance at a win.

I agree though, I wouldn't tie up too much money on bailey.... Lock in the top of the rotation, and let the young arms in the farm battle it out for the back end of the rotation.

gfas
07-09-2013, 12:54 AM
Lock in the top of the rotation, and let the young arms in the farm battle it out for the back end of the rotation.

Not a ton in the farm to bring in to handle the major league rotation anytime soon... especially after seeing the trouble that Corcino has been having overall this year. Would be really nice to see them figure out a way to retain both Latos and Bailey.

MillerTime58
07-09-2013, 02:17 PM
I have a feeling that Bailey is just gonna keep getting better and better...until eventually he pitches himself out of our price range. I guess, if it was 100% evident that he won't be re-signing, then next July he would make a fabulous trading chip. Ideally, though, he and Latos sign and we keep them here for a while along with Cingrani, Leake, and Stephenson.