PDA

View Full Version : Chromecast anyone?

NebraskaRed
07-26-2013, 04:49 PM
If you don't know: http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/#netflix

Picked one up yesterday. Works great. I'm currently watching game 4 of the 1990 World Series on my TV. So many mullets....

klw
07-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Does it do anything that an HDMI cable from the device to the TV doesn't do?

dougdirt
07-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Does it do anything that an HDMI cable from the device to the TV doesn't do?

Yes/no. You can get a ton of free apps that will control your laptop from your phone, or pay a little extra and get really good ones. In that case, absolutely not.

This does give you the extra part where it doesn't require an HDMI cable. Of course it is also going to slow down your wifi.

My xbox360 can do all of this and more. Sure, my phone isn't the remote, but I have a controller that works just fine.

NebraskaRed
07-26-2013, 05:19 PM
I don't have an xbox or anything, so if you have something like that, Doug's right in saying there's no reason to get a Chromecast.

For me, the few times I've tried connecting my laptop to the tv with an HDMI cable always resulted in weird lag issues.

I've tried streaming netflix and youtube, and both have worked great, with some really sharp clarity.

Yachtzee
07-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Yes/no. You can get a ton of free apps that will control your laptop from your phone, or pay a little extra and get really good ones. In that case, absolutely not.

This does give you the extra part where it doesn't require an HDMI cable. Of course it is also going to slow down your wifi.

My xbox360 can do all of this and more. Sure, my phone isn't the remote, but I have a controller that works just fine.

With Xbox Smartglass app, you can contol your Xbox from your phone.

gilpdawg
07-26-2013, 08:19 PM
The part that looks cool to me is that apparently you can have a Chrome tab open on your computer, and stream whatever content is in that tab to your TV. I have a Roku, and it's great, but not everyone has a Roku app. This would be cool to have for those times.

dougdirt
07-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Did some reading.... not a fan.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/25/4556978/can-chromecast-succeed-where-google-tv-failed

It supports HTML5 video, audio, flash, and that's honestly about it — local files, Quicktime, and Silverlight video aren't supported yet.

klw
08-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Did some reading.... not a fan.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/25/4556978/can-chromecast-succeed-where-google-tv-failed

I enjoyed this part of the article:

As for future restrictions, Chandra wouldn’t comment on hypotheticals, "Our stance right now, what we're enabling, is no different than an HDMI cable connecting your laptop to your TV."

cumberlandreds
08-02-2013, 07:48 AM
I have one on back order from Amazon. For $35 I think its worth a try. If it's a bust I'm not out much $$$.

cumberlandreds
09-26-2013, 09:48 AM
I got my Chromecast recently and it works great. Easy to set up too. Which is good for an old guy like me.
The only problem I have encountered is from You Tube. I have playlists with music videos and would like play those. But after it plays one it stops and goes back to the You Tube screen. To get Chromecast started back I have turn the TV on and off and restart You Tube. That's not any good at all to sit and watch a few videos to play consecutively. Has anyone else had this problem and what have done about it? As a side note my wife has playlist under her account and hers play just fine. I assume its something with my settings but can't figure it out.