PDA

View Full Version : 7/26/13 - Reds @ L.A.

Pages : 1 2 [3]

RedEye
07-27-2013, 12:47 AM
I'm all for grip-and-rip in certain situations. :) Just not that one. Looked like he was trying to win it instead of extending the game.

I guess I just have to believe Heisey is trying his best to get a knock. I can't believe he would be trying to do much more than make solid contact there. He's just got a bit of an off-balance swing that makes him look like he's swinging for the fences. Not everyone can control the zone like Choo or Votto.

BluegrassRedleg
07-27-2013, 12:48 AM
Almost criminal that Homer Bailey has a 5-10 record. :(

Ironman92
07-27-2013, 12:49 AM
Did you see his swings? He was trying to knock it to Anaheim.

Need a short, compact swing and a game-tying knock there, not a hero blast.

Clayton Kershaw is one of if not the best pitchers in baseball....Heisey had a double in 4 chances.

oregonred
07-27-2013, 12:50 AM
Almost criminal that Homer Bailey has a 5-10 record. :(

Quick sign him to a LTC and hope his agent only looks at wins and losses.

BluegrassRedleg
07-27-2013, 12:51 AM
Clayton Kershaw is one of if not the best pitchers in baseball....Heisey had a double in 4 chances.

We have firmly established that Clayton Kershaw is outstanding.

BluegrassRedleg
07-27-2013, 12:58 AM
In fairness, though, isn't that they type of guy they'll have to face in a one-game playoff if they're a wildcard team?

WVRedsFan
07-27-2013, 12:58 AM
We have firmly established that Clayton Kershaw is outstanding.

Yes. He's also a lefty, negating, or at least lessening the effectiveness of Choo, Votto, and Bruce (2-12).

Like I said, I didn't expect to win this one, but Homer made one big mistake. So close.

oregonred
07-27-2013, 01:01 AM
In fairness, though, isn't that they type of guy they'll have to face in a one-game playoff if they're a wildcard team?

Fortunately the Pirates have nobody near the class of Kershaw for the one game cage match of death.

BluegrassRedleg
07-27-2013, 01:04 AM
I'm just saying, if that's a playoff-type game, and that's the kind of pitcher we can expect to face if the Reds are a wildcard team, they must maximize their opportunities. A guy spinning out of his cleats trying to take Kershaw yard with two outs in the 8th and a runner on second isn't the high-percentage approach. That's all. Shorten the swing. Get that run in, and let's play into the wee hours. Not an unreasonable request.

BluegrassRedleg
07-27-2013, 01:06 AM
Fortunately the Pirates have nobody near the class of Kershaw for the one game cage match of death.

Much rather take my chances with Locke than Kershaw, but don't relish the thought of either one (without some deadline magic from Walt).

oregonred
07-27-2013, 01:07 AM
I'm just saying, if that's a playoff-type game, and that's the kind of pitcher we can expect to face if the Reds are a wildcard team, they must maximize their opportunities. A guy spinning out of his cleats trying to take Kershaw yard with two outs in the 8th and a runner on second isn't the high-percentage approach. That's all. Shorten the swing. Get that run in, and let's play into the wee hours. Not an unreasonable request.

No disagreement on that point. I have a strange confidence that this team will face the challenge better this year than in 2010 and 2012 if given the chance in the playoffs. It's all about health - in other words Heisey and Miller shouldn't be getting nine AB's in a wild card game.

RedEye
07-27-2013, 01:24 AM
Yes. He's also a lefty, negating, or at least lessening the effectiveness of Choo, Votto, and Bruce (2-12).

Like I said, I didn't expect to win this one, but Homer made one big mistake. So close.

I thought Votto and Bruce were fairly effective against LHP. Votto hits about the same against everyone and Bruce has more HR against them than any left handed batter over the last few years.

traderumor
07-27-2013, 12:04 PM

It really wasn't a mistake. Down and away slider, Ramirez hit a good pitch just far enough.

kaldaniels
07-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Probably the best this forum has taken a loss all year. A lot of sensible posts after the game.

NebraskaRed
07-27-2013, 12:57 PM
Probably the best this forum has taken a loss all year. A lot of sensible posts after the game.

I thought the same thing. Reds lost to the best pitcher in the league. Can't be too upset about that.

New York Red
07-27-2013, 05:45 PM
It was a playoff caliber game. No reason to get even the slightest bit upset about that one. It only stings because it's the Dodgers. For those of us old enough to remember the Reds/Dodgers rivalry of the 70's, losing any game to them still sucks. Get 'em tonight, Reds.

oregonred
07-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Mattingly not messing around.

I do wish we'd have some urgency and Larussa-anal retentiveness out of our dugout at times.

Ironman92
07-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Mattingly not messing around.

I do wish we'd have some urgency and Larussa-anal retentiveness out of our dugout at times.

Lol....fail

oregonred
07-28-2013, 12:22 AM
Lol....fail

Wrong game thread :)