PDA

View Full Version : I Must Be the Only One

CrimeDoc
08-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Hey All....New here...lifelong Reds fan...out of the burbs...grew up in Englewood, Ohio....

Need to vent about Thom Brennaman. I'm really starting to think i'm the only one who can't stand the guy!!!

Marty doesn't bother me...I know a lot of people give him grief...but Thom is AWFUL!!! I've never heard a broadcaster be so negative toward the team that is PAYING HIM!!! Seems to me, he talks more about how great the other team is!

I can't even listen to the games he's calling....he's nothing but negative....all my opinion of course. But the sooner he's gone, the better.

Ok, rant over. Pile on....still happy to be here! :beerme:

westofyou
08-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Line forms behind me

BearcatShane
08-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Hilarious. Thom honestly should be treated like a local Icon if you ask me. This is an A+++ type of announcer that has decided to put his reputation in jeopardy to call games for our lowly Reds. The fact that anyone would even think about talking down on Thom is beyond ridiculous.

redsfanmia
08-25-2013, 04:27 PM
You are not the only one, Thom is brutal.

New York Red
08-25-2013, 04:34 PM
I like Thom. He tells it like it is instead of sugarcoating it. Can't stand Marty though.

PTjvs
08-25-2013, 04:38 PM
I don't mind an announcer telling it like it is, and they lose all respect for me if they refuse to criticize the team that pays them, when they deserve it. Thom, however, I find to be very opinionated, and nearly universally incorrect in his opinions. My understanding is that he was recently diagnosed with "Cowherd's Disease", so I don't really blame him for this, but it is a sad thing to witness.

jvs

Kiko
08-25-2013, 06:37 PM
I like Thom and Marty. Personally, I don't get too riled up over announcers and the only guy I don't like to listen to is Chris Berman.

dfs
08-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Oddly enough, I really liked the Thom's call when he's part of a national broadcast team doind the reds. When he's part of the local reds broadcast....he's a different guy.

Not sure why.

Moosie52
08-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Thom kills me when he goes off on his nightly rant. A lot of times it's far out there, and you can tell Chris or Cowboy are wondering what the heck Thom is going on about. Sometimes the rant is obviously practiced and staged. I find him to be pompous.

George Anderson
08-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Oddly enough, I really liked the Thom's call when he's part of a national broadcast team doind the reds. When he's part of the local reds broadcast....he's a different guy.

Not sure why.

Great point!!

I was excited when Thom joined the Reds much in the same way I was when Jr joined the Reds from Seattle. Jr had his moments but overall a disappointing tenure here, the same goes for Thom so far.

CWRed
08-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Marty and Thom seem to think the game is soooooo easy. Thom's many times nightly call of, "And <insert player name here> takes a fastball RIGHT. DOWN. THE. MIDDLE" with obvious disgust; as if it doesn't happen in every game about 20 times. And his high pitched voice inflections about nothing exciting. And him saying, "Cowboy" 1000 times a night.

Other than all that, he's my boy. :thumbup:

SportsSnob
08-26-2013, 12:10 AM
Don't understand rants on announcers. Not everyone is Vin Scully. I think it's just a tired idea to bash announcers. Thom does a fine job and nothing worthy of being ranted on. Just makes me laugh the things people complain about in the grand scheme of things.

George Anderson
08-26-2013, 12:16 AM
Don't understand rants on announcers. Not everyone is Vin Scully. I think it's just a tired idea to bash announcers. Thom does a fine job and nothing worthy of being ranted on. Just makes me laugh the things people complain about in the grand scheme of things.

Your very first post on this board kinda makes you come across as an elitist "SportsSnob".

westofyou
08-26-2013, 01:10 AM

I think it's a tired idea to rant about people ranting about the people delivering the action to the fan base on the airwaves myself, and obviously if Thom did such a fine job and was above any critical look at his body of work as a Reds announcer then he'd be the first one ever lucky enough to hold that distinction.

lollipopcurve
08-26-2013, 07:05 AM
Thom's many times nightly call of, "And <insert player name here> takes a fastball RIGHT. DOWN. THE. MIDDLE" with obvious disgust

And just because he says so. Because often it's not right down the middle.

cumberlandreds
08-26-2013, 08:23 AM

Are you Thom or Marty? :)

bob jones
08-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Possibly Claude Sullivan or JimMcIntyre

LexRedsFan
08-26-2013, 11:00 AM
I think it's a tired idea to rant about people ranting about the people delivering the action to the fan base on the airwaves myself.

I think you really missed an opportunity to say "I think it's a tired idea to rant about people ranting about the ranter that announces Reds games."

:lol:

RedTeamGo!
08-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Hilarious. Thom honestly should be treated like a local Icon if you ask me. This is an A+++ type of announcer that has decided to put his reputation in jeopardy to call games for our lowly Reds. The fact that anyone would even think about talking down on Thom is beyond ridiculous.

reputation in jeopardy? hahaha. thanks, needed a good laugh on a monday morning.

he did Dbacks games before the Reds, this is a step up for him.

NorCal Reds Fan
08-26-2013, 12:54 PM
I like Thom and Marty. Personally, I don't get too riled up over announcers and the only guy I don't like to listen to is Chris Berman.

Off-topic, but saw your Kiko Garcia pic. Played at Ygnacio Valley HS. I had a few coaches waaaay back that had played with/against Kiko and talked about him a lot, so we followed him with the Orioles and I still remember his 4 hits in Game 3 of '79 WS...and the tough play potential-DP off deflected ball by Palmer in Game 6.

westofyou
08-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Off-topic, but saw your Kiko Garcia pic. Played at Ygnacio Valley HS. I had a few coaches waaaay back that had played with/against Kiko and talked about him a lot, so we followed him with the Orioles and I still remember his 4 hits in Game 3 of '79 WS...and the tough play potential-DP off deflected ball by Palmer in Game 6.

I used to live off Ygnacio Valley Rd. when I lived in Walnut Creek ... oh 30 years ago.

marcshoe
08-26-2013, 02:56 PM

Hmmmm. . . .I may be mistaken, but the number of plusses and the bolded words scream sarcasm to me.

Cant Touch This
08-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Calling play-by-play, or even color, is very difficult. There is no room for error, meaning, it's live TV so you get only one take. I've never done it at a professional level, but even broadcasting high school sports on the local cable access channel puts pressure on the hot mic.

So, when it comes to pure ability to speak freely, naturally, and call the game with as much fluency as Marty and Thom are able to do, I believe there are few who can rival them, and Reds fans are fortunate to be able to listen to a good story when there's a ballgame being played.

That said, both of them have practically mastered the art of calling games. It's second nature to them by now so the pressure of live TV isn't as intense as it is for someone like me who has 25 games under my belt. Therefore, it allows for more personality to come out. On the official "Marty Brennaman Day" last week, I listened to Marty rationalize the times when he is critical of players, and I thought his explanation was very genuine and also fair. I do agree he has appeared to become more curmudgeonly as he's aged, but isn't that natural, too?

My opinion of Thom is that he is simply following the lead of his HOF father. It's going to rub some people the wrong way (just like Marty) and it won't bother others. There are few broadcasters who can please everybody.

I have also met them both - even played 18 with Marty in Palm Springs before Joe died. He was a hoot on the golf course and an utmost pleasure to be around. I find them both to be likable guys, so I'm sure that forms my opinion of them as broadcasters, too.

redsfanmia
08-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Marty rails on certain players but his critisms seem to come from frustration, Thom just seems like he is doing it just to be like Daddy, it comes off as him being a jerk. Thom has 2 things that drive me crazy the over the top negativity and the over pronouncing of Latin names, Sanchez and Valdez in particular.

George Anderson
08-26-2013, 04:40 PM
On the official "Marty Brennaman Day" last week, I listened to Marty rationalize the times when he is critical of players, and I thought his explanation was very genuine and also fair. I do agree he has appeared to become more curmudgeonly as he's aged, but isn't that natural, too?

Thats what worries me about Thom.

If he already comes across as a grouchy old fart like his dad, imagine how bad he will actually be when he really is a grouchy old fart like his dad.

BearcatShane
08-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Hmmmm. . . .I may be mistaken, but the number of plusses and the bolded words scream sarcasm to me.

This is a man that has called National Championship College Football games. Countless NFL playoff and College BCS games, countless MLB playoff games and he came home in 2007 when the Reds were on of the worst teams around and it had been like that for some time and Thom came home and commited the majority of his summer to watch that garbage. When it comes to sports in this town, there is not one person I respect more than Thom. I just hope the Reds are able to keep him.

George Anderson
08-26-2013, 06:21 PM
This is a man that has called National Championship College Football games. Countless NFL playoff and College BCS games, countless MLB playoff games and he came home in 2007 when the Reds were on of the worst teams around and it had been like that for some time and Thom came home and commited the majority of his summer to watch that garbage. When it comes to sports in this town, there is not one person I respect more than Thom. I just hope the Reds are able to keep him.

Thom stated numerous times that he came back to Cincinnati because he wanted to to raise his family there and also to have his kids be around their grandparents while growing up. Lets get up off the kneelers in front of the Thom shrine and look at the whole picture.

westofyou
08-26-2013, 06:24 PM

He's a crappy baseball announcer, as for football apples and hand grenades

BearcatShane
08-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Why does Fox allow him to do playoff games?

George Anderson
08-26-2013, 09:03 PM

You mean the same network that has Tim McCarver do games?

Redsfansince72
08-26-2013, 10:51 PM
I didnt like how Tom made a point to say tonight on the air how the Cardinal fans showed up 35,000 strong on a school night.. HMM if the Reds had the success the Cardinals have had WINNING a WORLD SERIES 2 TIMES in the PAST few years and being in the post season every year and their ownership goes and gets whats needed, drafts better players than the Reds, THEN you would see fans here excited instead of how frustrating seeing this team fail against the better teams every year!! Winning a World Series will sell tickets.. and not just being a flash in the pan and just making it. taking the next steps to be better does that.

CardsFanBob
08-26-2013, 11:56 PM
I will admit that I was mightily confused by the lack of attendance at the GOB the last couple of series the Cardinals were in Cinci... even during the weekend games. You could see huge patches of empty seats. I would have sworn those tickets would be HOT.

westofyou
08-27-2013, 12:23 AM

Because he and Rupert Murdoch shared a mexican meal at the burrito buggy in Athens back in the day?

CrimeDoc
08-27-2013, 12:43 AM

He should be paying the reds for the privilege to announce for them!:thumbup:

CrimeDoc
08-27-2013, 12:46 AM

You act like he's being enslaved!! I'm sure you he's paid quite well and had every choice in the world to not be "commited the majority of his summer to watch that garbage"

CrimeDoc
08-27-2013, 12:51 AM
Thom's horrible. He's negative beyond negative. Him and joe buck have the same mother...I'm convinced. How the reds keep him....dude's horrible...nfl games too. I PRAY nfl hires him enough where i NEVER have to hear his voice during a reds game again.

Thom needs to get a job as the ball washer for Yadier Molina...seems to be his favorite player ever!!!!

REDREAD
08-27-2013, 11:22 AM
I will admit that I was mightily confused by the lack of attendance at the GOB the last couple of series the Cardinals were in Cinci... even during the weekend games. You could see huge patches of empty seats. I would have sworn those tickets would be HOT.

Maybe it's just me.. but the Cardinals are the last team I want to drive down to the GAB to see.
It's demoralizing watching the Reds lose to them on a regular basis.
I have more fun watching the Reds play a lesser team live.
I'd rather watch a frustrating game at home on the TV.

The Card fans were probably licking their chops at the thought of the Reds coming in.. Even when they were down 4-0 (?) they probably thought they would come back, and they did..
Let's be honest.. when the Reds were up 4-0, I felt good, but at the same time I was thinking .. "Man, I hope this is enough".

markymark69
08-28-2013, 04:31 PM
I enjoy both Thom and Marty. I don't always agree with their style, but I do enjoy listening to them. I wish Thom would do more games on the radio.

On the TV side, thinking about some of the guys who used to do their games, I'm talking before George Grande (Steve Physioc, Ken Wilson, Ray Lane, Steve Lamar) come to mind). It's much better today.

However, I do agree with the one poster, enough with the Cowboy references to Jeff Brantley.

Bob Sheed
08-28-2013, 05:38 PM
I didnt like how Tom made a point to say tonight on the air how the Cardinal fans showed up 35,000 strong on a school night.. HMM if the Reds had the success the Cardinals have had WINNING a WORLD SERIES 2 TIMES in the PAST few years and being in the post season every year and their ownership goes and gets whats needed, drafts better players than the Reds, THEN you would see fans here excited instead of how frustrating seeing this team fail against the better teams every year!! Winning a World Series will sell tickets.. and not just being a flash in the pan and just making it. taking the next steps to be better does that.

Whose fault is it, that the Reds don't "get the job done" on the field enough to draw 35k on a school night?

Is that Thom's fault too?

Don't get me wrong, he's not my favorite announcer, but he's better than Kelch, and he's better than Grande, just to name two.

The amount of venom on this board, toward anyone who dares criticize the Redlegs, is ASTOUNDING, even for a team board. Marty, Thom, Doc, whoever.

rls321321
08-30-2013, 10:49 PM
----------------------------------------------------
Thom is the worst broadcaster i have ever heard doing reds games. Welsh is constantly correcting him in a subtle way that Thom does even realize it's happening. He's actually better on national broadcasts where he doesn't
try to ingratiate himself to the home team as he does when he's doing the Reds games. Aalthough marty is not my favorite (his ego has been out of control for many years) he is 5x better that his offspring.

jhiller21
08-31-2013, 01:03 AM
When Thom does Saturday games for FOX, he's pretty good. He's not affiliated with either team, he just calls the game, and does a good job of it.

When he's on FSN or WLW, he grates on my nerves. Every time the Reds do ANYTHING wrong, he can't stop whining and using that ridiculous tone of voice that implies he knows everything about the game.

However, when someone gets a walkoff hit, his calls are pretty entertaining.

jhiller21
08-31-2013, 01:08 AM
I forgot to mention another thing that bugs me. When someone gets a hit with RISP he always cheers: "They're gonna WAAAAAAAVE him around!"

It annoys me almost as much as George Grande's "It's gonna BEEEEeeeeeEEEEE"

UPRedsFan
09-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Hey All....New here...lifelong Reds fan...out of the burbs...grew up in Englewood, Ohio....

Need to vent about Thom Brennaman. I'm really starting to think i'm the only one who can't stand the guy!!!

Marty doesn't bother me...I know a lot of people give him grief...but Thom is AWFUL!!! I've never heard a broadcaster be so negative toward the team that is PAYING HIM!!! Seems to me, he talks more about how great the other team is!

I can't even listen to the games he's calling....he's nothing but negative....all my opinion of course. But the sooner he's gone, the better.

Ok, rant over. Pile on....still happy to be here! :beerme:

Hey, CrimeDoc. I grew up in Vandalia. I have to admit I don't like Marty or Thom when they get negative. But they are talented and have the ability to make the game enjoyable. I'm glad we have them.

Redsfan08
09-01-2013, 09:35 PM
did it ever occur that maybe he is a huge fan of the team he did grow up in Cincinnati

KYBatsFan
09-03-2013, 11:29 AM
did it ever occur that maybe he is a huge fan of the team he did grow up in Cincinnati

Glad someone else beat me to this. Read over some posts here re: the team, Dusty, plate appearances, etc and you'll quickly understand Thom Brennaman (and Marty). I don't see those guys as negative, I see them as being honest and expressing themselves appropriately, and from the looks of things on this board they echo the feelings of a majority of fans here. So, Thom and Marty should be ecstatic and cheerful about the team going 4-6 (so far) in the most crucial stretch of the season? I don't think so. They're not perfect, they don't always get it right, but they are far and abaove better than about 75% of team play-by-play guys. Try listening to some other team's broadcasts (outside of the obvious big gun talent, on the calibre of the Brennamans). Its excruciating more often than not. One needs to look no further than the Bengals' color man (no clue who it is) who cheers like its his son's HS football game during the broadcast as the play by play guy tries to call the game. And has a forgettable voice.

I'd rather have an honest reaction to the team than some sunny, faux-positivity from the likes of Jim Day and Jeff Piecoro...now there are a couple sucky on-air personalities (and I use "personalities" quite liberally).

scotly50
09-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Thom is ok. Better than Welch. He says some of the stupidest things sometimes.

RedFanAlways1966
09-04-2013, 09:30 AM
He says some of the stupidest things sometimes.

Something might be said relative to using STUPIDEST too. I have to admit the comment made me laugh though. Irony can be a funny thing! But I do not want to come across as the meanest person here or appear to be the most stupid either.

:D

CrimeDoc
09-06-2013, 07:00 PM

No. It sounds to me like he hates the reds. Dead serious. If that's his way of being a 'fan' I'd hate to hear how he sounds being against a team. He sucks

James B.
09-06-2013, 09:19 PM
I agree that I enjoy Thom much better when he is calling a game nationally. He is a good announcer but his negativity really gets on my nerves. Like others have said it gets old when he acts disgusted over a player not swinging at a certain pitch that he thinks they should swing at. Then he also complains when they swing early in the count and are not successful. I don't mind a player swinging at the first pitch if they feel like its a pitch that they can drive, but it seems to drive Thom crazy.

KYBatsFan
09-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Once again if you want to hear bad...Jim Day trying to call the first game vs the Dodgers. Embarrassingly homer and faux excited. Horrid.