PDA

View Full Version : I learned a new word today, skeumorphism

OldRightHander
09-22-2013, 02:05 PM
So I upgraded my ipad to iOS 7 and immediately noticed that the notepad and calendar now no longer bear any resemblance to their physical counterparts, and I can't say I necessarily like that. I went online to see why the heck they would have done that and I found much mention of this word, skeumorphism, which basically means making things look real, but what I wasn't prepared for was the large number of people who actually like the change.

So am I the only person who misses the look of the old calendar and is searching the App Store for a more accurately rendered version from a third party? Am I the only one who is slightly paranoid that they will revamp iBooks as well and take away the bookshelf and the realistic looking pages? Is this pretty much a young vs. older folks kind of preference?

RedsManRick
09-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Possibly an old vs. young thing. I'm not a huge fan of the specific iOS 7 graphics, but in general I can't stand skeumorphism, as it usually detracts from functionality. A book looks the way it does because it's on paper, is bound, has a physical cover that is a different material, etc. Mimicking that with pixels has never made sense to me. I don't need to see fake leather to know I'm looking at a book, or what have you.

But ultimately, yeah, I'm sure it's a personal preference kind of thing.

OldRightHander
09-22-2013, 02:51 PM
It's not a matter of needing it, but a matter of liking it. I like iBooks the way it is now, the way it mimics real page turns. I like that look. I liked the notepad and the calendar the way they were. Maybe they should give people a choice with the apps, let you pick the look you want.

SporkLover
09-25-2013, 11:59 PM
Is this pretty much a young vs. older folks kind of preference?

many within the ranks of Apple felt that skeumorphism clashed with Apples industrial design of Simple and Functional. It was extra code that added no value.

One of the things that Jony Ive got rid of immediately. He believes that beauty comes from that simplicity. Simple shapes, colors, etc.

I liked it though.

Wonderful Monds
09-28-2013, 05:25 PM
many within the ranks of Apple felt that skeumorphism clashed with Apples industrial design of Simple and Functional. It was extra code that added no value.

One of the things that Jony Ive got rid of immediately. He believes that beauty comes from that simplicity. Simple shapes, colors, etc.

I liked it though.

Steve Jobs passing is the worst thing that could've ever happened to Apple. I doubt they will keep their top spot in their market for a very long time.

SporkLover
09-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Steve Jobs passing is the worst thing that could've ever happened to Apple. I doubt they will keep their top spot in their market for a very long time.

Apple started their slip under his watch. They rest too long on their laurels.

7 major updates to ios and they have yet to update the UI..