PDA

View Full Version : RIP Tom Clancy

medford
10-02-2013, 11:08 AM
700wlw reported that he passed way last night in a Baltimore Hospital. They either didn't say, or I didn't catch the reason, he was 66.

One of my favorite authors. he's books were often a great challenge, they'd set you up w/ so much detail and story lines that it would be a struggle to make it thru the first 300-400 pages, then he'd take you on an absolute thrill ride for the last 400-600 pages using all the information gained in the begining.

I'm still hoping at some point they make a movie of "Without Remorse" my personal favorite of his. The movie rights have been purchased, and its been rumored about several times, but I've just about given up hope of it making the big screen at this point.

bucksfan2
10-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Its hard to believe he was only 66. Two great authors have passed within the past couple of months in Clancy and Vince Flynn. His books were a struggle for the first half, which was often 400 pages, but as mentioned the last 300 are a thrill ride. I found Rainbow Six and The Teeth of the Tiger to be fascinating.

JaxRed
10-02-2013, 01:41 PM
I must have watched Red October about 10 times. I'll just see it on and I can't stop.

RedTeamGo!
10-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Rainbox Six was fantastic, I should read it again as it has been 10 years or so.

Raisor
10-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Rats

WildcatFan
10-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Patriot Games was one of my favorite novels growing up. Jack Ryan is still the best literary badass ever.

Looking forward to seeing what Chris Pine does with it.

RIP Clancy.

Roy Tucker
10-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Sorry to hear this. I thought we'd have him around longer. RIP tomc.

Red Storm Rising was my favorite with the Frisbees of Dreamland and that, post WWII, a land war was feasible. HfRO was a fabulous story (just read a good Larry Bond sub book). I was a huge fan up to about Rainbox Six. Hung around alt.books.tom.clancy where he'd regularly participate which was really cool in the AOL days of the internet.

After that, he started losing me. I still read most of his books, but was usually disappointed.

But for about 15 years there, I looked forward to each and every one of his books and he was as good as it gets.

Razor Shines
10-05-2013, 07:06 PM
My middle son's name is Jack Ryan. They're both family names but the order is certainly influenced by my favorite literary character.

When I was in high school I read most of the Clancy books. My dad would read them and then pass them on to me as soon as he was finished and we would discuss them. It was one of the things we bonded over and kept us close during my teenage years.

RIP Mr. Clancy

RedsBaron
10-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Sorry to hear this. I thought we'd have him around longer. RIP tomc.

Red Storm Rising was my favorite with the Frisbees of Dreamland and that, post WWII, a land war was feasible. HfRO was a fabulous story (just read a good Larry Bond sub book). I was a huge fan up to about Rainbox Six. Hung around alt.books.tom.clancy where he'd regularly participate which was really cool in the AOL days of the internet.

After that, he started losing me. I still read most of his books, but was usually disappointed.

But for about 15 years there, I looked forward to each and every one of his books and he was as good as it gets.

I read everything Clancy wrote for about the first decade, up through "Debt of Honor." However, by then I started getting tired of the series. I started but did not complete "Executive Action" and I have a couple of his subequent novels, given to me as gifts, that I have never read.
I don't know that his work declined or that I finally just wanted to move on to something else, but I really enjoyed his early works, especially "Hunt For Red October," "Red Storm Rising" and "Debt of Honor."
Clancy was a remarkable story, as a middle aged insurance agent suddenly becomes a best selling author.
R.I.P.

WMR
10-10-2013, 03:41 PM
He was a bit of a jerk... remember that interview where he said anyone making less than 120k a year is a loser? :lol:

I sincerely hope that George RR Martin takes this news to heart. He allows himself to get sidetracked on other projects way too easily, he needs to bear down on finishing GoT. Really don't want to see the final books written by someone else... and the guy is far from the picture of good health.

Ravenlord
10-10-2013, 05:43 PM
. . .he needs to bear down on finishing GoT.
he did complete "A Game of Thrones." it's the first book in A Song of Ice and Fire series.

WMR
10-10-2013, 07:18 PM
he did complete "A Game of Thrones." it's the first book in A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Blah blah blah, you know what I meant. :D