PDA

View Full Version : What you would do in 3-5 moves

RedlegJ
10-31-2013, 02:26 PM
I saw this posted in the ORG and wanted to have one here since I can't post there yet. Thought it'd be fun. Post your 3 moves for the Reds offseason. And try to be realistic. Nothing crazy.

1) Homer Bailey and Ryan Ludwick to the Angels for Mark Trumbo and minor leaguer Alex Yarbrough. The Angels get their pitching and the Reds get their power righty. We also get rid of ludwick, who the angels can use in LF or at DH. Alex Yarbrough is a 22 year old switch hitting 2B who can really hit. Last year at A-Adv he hit .313/.341/.459/.800 with 11 homers and 80 RBI. He also had 32 doubles and 10 triples. If the Reds need to throw another piece in to make this deal, so be it. I like this.

2) Sign Dioner Navarro to back up Mesoraco. I can't take another year of watching Hanigan at the plate. Very cheap.

3) Sign someone as insurance for Billy Hamilton, just in case he struggles.

Obviously with trading Homer, we're down a pitcher. I don't want to resign Bronson. I want Chapman in the rotation. While I think he will be good, the Reds may want to sign a back up plan in case this backfires.

My lineup:

Hamilton CF
Phillips 2B
Votto 1B
Trumbo LF
Bruce RF
Frazier 3B
Meso C
Cozart SS

Not a lot of moves, but I don't think we will have a HUGE offseason like some expect.

CoachBombay
10-31-2013, 03:02 PM
I saw this posted in the ORG and wanted to have one here since I can't post there yet. Thought it'd be fun. Post your 3 moves for the Reds offseason. And try to be realistic. Nothing crazy.

1) Homer Bailey and Ryan Ludwick to the Angels for Mark Trumbo and minor leaguer Alex Yarbrough. The Angels get their pitching and the Reds get their power righty. We also get rid of ludwick, who the angels can use in LF or at DH. Alex Yarbrough is a 22 year old switch hitting 2B who can really hit. Last year at A-Adv he hit .313/.341/.459/.800 with 11 homers and 80 RBI. He also had 32 doubles and 10 triples. If the Reds need to throw another piece in to make this deal, so be it. I like this.

2) Sign Dioner Navarro to back up Mesoraco. I can't take another year of watching Hanigan at the plate. Very cheap.

3) Sign someone as insurance for Billy Hamilton, just in case he struggles.

Obviously with trading Homer, we're down a pitcher. I don't want to resign Bronson. I want Chapman in the rotation. While I think he will be good, the Reds may want to sign a back up plan in case this backfires.

My lineup:

Hamilton CF
Phillips 2B
Votto 1B
Trumbo LF
Bruce RF
Frazier 3B
Meso C
Cozart SS

Not a lot of moves, but I don't think we will have a HUGE offseason like some expect.
I dont want trumbo. horrible D and struggles getting on base...

RedlegJake
10-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Bailey/Ludwick should bring back more than Trumbo and Yarbrough. I want Richards or Sappington as well. Then maybe I add Corcino or Rogers.

RedlegJ
10-31-2013, 03:48 PM
I dont want trumbo. horrible D and struggles getting on base...

He had 10 errors last year and 8 of them were at first base...

RedlegJ
10-31-2013, 03:51 PM
Bailey/Ludwick should bring back more than Trumbo and Yarbrough. I want Richards or Sappington as well. Then maybe I add Corcino or Rogers.

I thought about Sappington as well

CoachBombay
10-31-2013, 03:53 PM

He only played 27 games in the outfield last year. But his 184 strikeouts dont help this team much. And his .234 BA. Only 54 walks. .290 on base % Ill pass on him

Old school 1983
10-31-2013, 03:59 PM
1. Phillips Frazier and hanigan to Toronto for Bautista. Put bsutista at 3b
2. Leake and prospects to angels for Kendrick or sign infante.
3 sign Brian Wilson to close chapman to start
4. Sign pierzynski to backup Mes.
5. Dejesus as a Hamilton fail safe.

jwertz
10-31-2013, 04:20 PM

Errors aren't the only variable in playing poor defense. Trumbo is a poor defender, and doesn't get on base. Two things that this team doesn't need.

Lewdog
10-31-2013, 07:55 PM
1. Phillips Frazier and hanigan to Toronto for Bautista. Put bsutista at 3b
2. Leake and prospects to angels for Kendrick or sign infante.
3 sign Brian Wilson to close chapman to start
4. Sign pierzynski to backup Mes.
5. Dejesus as a Hamilton fail safe.

So you want to trade Leake, while there is still uncertainty in Cueto being able to pitch 200 innings, Bailey only having one year left, and Chapman hasn't played a year in the majors as a starter? No way Jose.

Brian Wilson isn't the same guy he used to be before his surgery, Hoover would be promoted to closer before they stick a free agent in there.

Old school 1983
11-01-2013, 12:04 AM
So you want to trade Leake, while there is still uncertainty in Cueto being able to pitch 200 innings, Bailey only having one year left, and Chapman hasn't played a year in the majors as a starter? No way Jose.

Brian Wilson isn't the same guy he used to be before his surgery, Hoover would be promoted to closer before they stick a free agent in there.

Trade cueto then. Either way if the reds want to upgrade the offense they will probably have to give up pitching unless you do something like the first deal I mentioned for Bautista. And Wilson did a nice job for the dodgers. I'd rather see him closing than lecure and or Hoover. But if you don't like trading leake go after a free agent like infante. I'm pretty sure Ellis is a free agent too. Another guy is like to look into via the free agent route is Beltran. He'd take less if a commitment than choo, give good production, and leave money open for contract extensions and space open in the near future if we had a cheaper prospect step up.

Lewdog
11-01-2013, 05:56 AM
Trade cueto then. Either way if the reds want to upgrade the offense they will probably have to give up pitching unless you do something like the first deal I mentioned for Bautista. And Wilson did a nice job for the dodgers. I'd rather see him closing than lecure and or Hoover. But if you don't like trading leake go after a free agent like infante. I'm pretty sure Ellis is a free agent too. Another guy is like to look into via the free agent route is Beltran. He'd take less if a commitment than choo, give good production, and leave money open for contract extensions and space open in the near future if we had a cheaper prospect step up.

Beltran is on the decline. Any guy that started to have a decline this year, like Pujols, scares me. It makes me believe that many of them were juicing and they are not going to be the same player. There is no reason to make so many moves on this team just to fill LF and maybe second base. This team won 90 games with a huge number of injuries and a coach that wasn't very motivational.

Old school 1983
11-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Beltran is on the decline. Any guy that started to have a decline this year, like Pujols, scares me. It makes me believe that many of them were juicing and they are not going to be the same player. There is no reason to make so many moves on this team just to fill LF and maybe second base. This team won 90 games with a huge number of injuries and a coach that wasn't very motivational.

The funny thing about that is LF is cover by a guy under a one year larger contract and is arguably the best right handed hitter on team. 2b is cover by an all star gold glove player. Despite his shenanigans and his lower offensive numbers (you could argue injury related) he probably is the other top right handed hitter in the team. I understand moving him, but do it for an upgrade. There is no hole in left. It was caused by injury. Ludwick may not be 2012 ludwick next year, but you don't replace him unless you get a huge upgrade. In the case of Phillips, don't move him for prospects to save money for choo. What happens if you save the money and choo doesn't sign and all you have to show for an all star caliber player is prospects and no definite major league upgrade?

I think people are creating holes on this team where there aren't holes. Not an indictment of you but a lot if posts I see in general. There is no hole in left. None at second and if the right players are acquired at other spots none in cf except maybe for a solid backup. The holes are 3b SS and C. LF and CF are places of uncertainty not holes. Replace if you can get a huge upgrade but attack the holes with replacements or platoon partners.

RedlegJake
11-01-2013, 09:47 AM
LF - Ludwick. Is this a "hole"? My own opinion is no - I agree with Old School. A healthy Ryan, from the start is going to produce - my guess is between .750 and .800 OPS. Not huge but productive. I don't expect a 2012 like season but a solid one. The bigger risk to me is whether he'll stay healthy. Look at his contract, his health, and his record (despite the strong valid reasons for some bad seasons other GMs will use that to discount) and Ryan is here unless he is part of a package deal where the other team takes him just to get someone they really want from the Reds. If that's the case I'm OK with it.

CF - going on the assumption they do NOT sign Choo, which I still think is unlikely, CF IS a hole. Here I disagree with Old School. Hamilton will bring energy but he isn't ready. Yeah, I know his BA and all but did you watch him bat? Those were slap hits down the line that he almost got beat on and much of the time he looked hapless. He'd be fine as a 4th OFer right now, or better, back in AAA for more seasoning. Heisey is not a full time player. I get frustrated watching him play part time. Robinson is fast, plays D and gets on reasonably well but is the definition of "judy", plus he doesn't run bases well for a fast guy. If they don't sign Choo this is a hole not an uncertainty. The Reds need a better platoon partner, at minimum, for Hi-C until Billy can get ready.

3B - Frazier is OK here. Good glove and decent bat if he isn't over exposed. Hannahan is the problem here. The backup guy can't hit. The Reds need a guy who can hit curveballing/off-speed righties to spell Frazier because those are the guys who kill his numbers. A good RH curveballer eats Frazier's lunch every time. He's fine against everyone else. This is a semi-hole. They need someone to take about 200 PAs over the course of season from Todd. Eric Chavez would be perfect. He could sit enough to stay fresh, play enough to stay sharp, relieve Todd of those righties, and Todd could be used some in LF too, if needed. Unfortunately, Walt gave Hannahan a 2 year deal for some unfathomable reason. Eric Chavez or Jack Hannahan? (balancing choices in palms) - and likely stuck with Smilin' Jack! (Not much dollar diff either)

SS - I don't get the Cozart is a hole theory. SS if for defense. Period. If you downgrade at all you better be upgrading the offense a whole lot. Bogaerts/Profar/Tulo/Reyes/Ramirez....that's about it. Now, what does it cost to get one of those guys? Everyone else is barely incremental improving or downgrading. Here's the deal - DON'T BAT ZACK 2ND. Hey with one stroke he isn't such a "hole" anymore.

C - here you can really upgrade. Mes hammers lefties. Like everyone else on the planet who watches the Reds the answer is obvious. A platoon partner who can punish RHers. Navarro? Reunite him with his erstwhile hitting coach Mr. Votto? Hanigan, either alone or as part of package should still have decent attraction for a team needing a quality backup.

The bench. Outside of a good glove guy for the middle infield I wish the Reds would emphasize hitting when they build a bench. Stash defensive guys at Louisville against need. Gloves without sticks are a dime a dozen. Put guys on the bench who can hit darnnit! Even if they have a less than stellar glove. Keep a defensive guy at AAA on the 40 man so if there is a longer term need you can make an easy roster move. But the bench guys should all be able to hit except, perhaps Mr backup SS.

Old school 1983
11-01-2013, 09:58 AM
LF - Ludwick. Is this a "hole"? My own opinion is no - I agree with Old School. A healthy Ryan, from the start is going to produce - my guess is between .750 and .800 OPS. Not huge but productive. I don't expect a 2012 like season but a solid one. The bigger risk to me is whether he'll stay healthy. Look at his contract, his health, and his record (despite the strong valid reasons for some bad seasons other GMs will use that to discount) and Ryan is here unless he is part of a package deal where the other team takes him just to get someone they really want from the Reds. If that's the case I'm OK with it.

CF - going on the assumption they do NOT sign Choo, which I still think is unlikely, CF IS a hole. Here I disagree with Old School. Hamilton will bring energy but he isn't ready. Yeah, I know his BA and all but did you watch him bat? Those were slap hits down the line that he almost got beat on and much of the time he looked hapless. He'd be fine as a 4th OFer right now, or better, back in AAA for more seasoning. Heisey is not a full time player. I get frustrated watching him play part time. Robinson is fast, plays D and gets on reasonably well but is the definition of "judy", plus he doesn't run bases well for a fast guy. If they don't sign Choo this is a hole not an uncertainty. The Reds need a better platoon partner, at minimum, for Hi-C until Billy can get ready.

3B - Frazier is OK here. Good glove and decent bat if he isn't over exposed. Hannahan is the problem here. The backup guy can't hit. The Reds need a guy who can hit curveballing/off-speed righties to spell Frazier because those are the guys who kill his numbers. A good RH curveballer eats Frazier's lunch every time. He's fine against everyone else. This is a semi-hole. They need someone to take about 200 PAs over the course of season from Todd. Eric Chavez would be perfect. He could sit enough to stay fresh, play enough to stay sharp, relieve Todd of those righties, and Todd could be used some in LF too, if needed. Unfortunately, Walt gave Hannahan a 2 year deal for some unfathomable reason. Eric Chavez or Jack Hannahan? (balancing choices in palms) - and likely stuck with Smilin' Jack! (Not much dollar diff either)

SS - I don't get the Cozart is a hole theory. SS if for defense. Period. If you downgrade at all you better be upgrading the offense a whole lot. Bogaerts/Profar/Tulo/Reyes/Ramirez

I agree with your assessments of LF 3b and SS. I think Hamilton would be ok in center if enough upgrades are made elsewhere. I think this has to be the year where you give him a shot in the bigs. If he flops you can move Ervin to center in the minors to replace Hamilton and use bham as a dangerous late game weapon next year. Now if no other upgrades are made Hamilton becomes a speedy but lesser bat in a bad lineup and that an issue.

MoneyInTheBank
11-01-2013, 05:36 PM
The way I look at things is not to try and find the "holes" and fill them. Just because a position isn't a "hole" doesn't mean it can't be improved.

If Choo can't be re-signed for a reasonable wage, I'd like to see a CF platoon of DeJesus and Rajai Davis.

Sign Pierzynski or Navarro to platoon with Mesoraco

I'd also look to sign at least 2 down in the dumps pitchers to minor league deals in hopes of getting a steal on the bounce back

Old school 1983
11-01-2013, 05:46 PM
The way I look at things is not to try and find the "holes" and fill them. Just because a position isn't a "hole" doesn't mean it can't be improved.

If Choo can't be re-signed for a reasonable wage, I'd like to see a CF platoon of DeJesus and Rajai Davis.

Sign Pierzynski or Navarro to platoon with Mesoraco

I'd also look to sign at least 2 down in the dumps pitchers to minor league deals in hopes of getting a steal on the bounce back

Improve where you can. Choo is a step up from our outfielders with maybe the exception of Bruce. Idk if I've said it in this thread but my basic offseason idea would be to assume choo will not be back and improve the team whether he is there or not so if you can't sign him no harm but if you do, then you're even better.

I agree with you scrap heap starter idea. There seems to be a few on the market and a large amount of closers. If the reds choose to deal a pitcher, it looks like depth may be easier to come by than usual.

mth123
11-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Lots of possibilities and I tend to think dealing Phillips should be on the to do list, but this plan keeps him, strengthens a number of positions, adds some young and cheap guys while taking a step back at CF/Lead-off without busting the budget.

1. Aroldis Chapman, Sean Marshall and Chris Heisey to Detroit for Nick Castellanos, Bruce Rondon and Eugenio Suarez
2. Sign Free Agents Manny Parra, David Dejesus, Eric Chavez and AJ Pierziynski
3. Ryan Ludwick, Ryan Hanigan and Logan Ondrusek to Philly for Antonio Bastardo and Cesar Hernandez
4. Jack Hannahan and Neftali Soto to Miami for Grant Dayton

Dejesus/Robinson CF
Phillips 2B
Votto 1B
Bruce RF
Frazier/Chavez 3B
Castellanos/Paul LF
Mesoraco/Pierzynski C
Cozart SS

Hernandez IF

Latos
Bailey
Cueto
Cingrani
Leake

Simon RHR
Lecure RHR
Rondon RHR
Broxton RHR

Parra LHR
Bastardo LHR

Hoover Cl

AAA/AA Depth

Pitching
Stephenson RH
Contreras RH
Rogers RH
Crabbe RH
Corcino RH
Hayes RH
Dayton LH

Positions
Lutz OF/1B
Barnhart C
Suarez IF
H-Rod IF
Hamilton OF
Y-Rod OF

If Hamilton Arrives, Robinson goes down and Dejesus splits time in CF and LF with Paul to the bench.

CoachBombay
11-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Lots of possibilities and I tend to think dealing Phillips should be on the to do list, but this plan keeps him, strengthens a number of positions, adds some young and cheap guys while taking a step back at CF/Lead-off without busting the budget.

1. Aroldis Chapman, Sean Marshall and Chris Heisey to Detroit for Nick Castellanos, Bruce Rondon and Eugenio Suarez
2. Sign Free Agents Manny Parra, David Dejesus, Eric Chavez and AJ Pierziynski
3. Ryan Ludwick, Ryan Hanigan and Logan Ondrusek to Philly for Antonio Bastardo and Cesar Hernandez
4. Jack Hannahan and Neftali Soto to Miami for Grant Dayton

Dejesus/Robinson CF
Phillips 2B
Votto 1B
Bruce RF
Frazier/Chavez 3B
Castellanos/Paul LF
Mesoraco/Pierzynski C
Cozart SS

Hernandez IF

Latos
Bailey
Cueto
Cingrani
Leake

Simon RHR
Lecure RHR
Rondon RHR
Broxton RHR

Parra LHR
Bastardo LHR

Hoover Cl

AAA/AA Depth

Pitching
Stephenson RH
Contreras RH
Rogers RH
Crabbe RH
Corcino RH
Hayes RH
Dayton LH

Positions
Lutz OF/1B
Barnhart C
Suarez IF
H-Rod IF
Hamilton OF
Y-Rod OF

If Hamilton Arrives, Robinson goes down and Dejesus splits time in CF and LF with Paul to the bench.
I dont know how I feel about any of those. That doesnt really make the team any better. Actually I feel it makes them a little weaker

Staffer
11-04-2013, 05:24 PM
These trades that include Ludwick are laughable. Ludwick is to make $12 million in 2014. Who would possible take that on?

mth123
11-04-2013, 09:20 PM
These trades that include Ludwick are laughable. Ludwick is to make $12 million in 2014. Who would possible take that on?

A team looking for a RH bat that doesn't want to sign a free agent for 3 or 4 years at $40 to $50 Million or give up a pick for some one like Nelson Cruz. Give up a spare part or two, take on a one year deal while kids get ready and free yourself from bigger obligations.

Old school 1983
11-05-2013, 08:14 AM
A team looking for a RH bat that doesn't want to sign a free agent for 3 or 4 years at $40 to $50 Million or give up a pick for some one like Nelson Cruz. Give up a spare part or two, take on a one year deal while kids get ready and free yourself from bigger obligations.

Seems to me that's what the reds need to do in regards to Ervin winker and YRod. IMO one of those three will have a breakout year and end up in triple A by seasons end if not knocking on door to the bigs.

kpresidente
11-06-2013, 01:02 PM

He's scheduled to make $8.5M in '14 and $9M in '15, with a $4.5M buyout. If he's a 2-win player you could trade him for a bag of balls. Of course he's not a 2-win player because his defense is awful, but if you could find an AL team looking for a DH you might be able to dump him. I agree it's a long shot, though.

jwertz
11-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Mariners get:

Homer Bailey RHP
Neftali Soto 1B

Reds get:

Nick Franklin 2b/ss
Victor Sanchez RHP
Carson Smith RHP

Blue Jays get:

Brandon Phillips 2B
Ryan Lamarre OF

Reds get:

Jose Bautista OF

Sign Josh Johnson

Getting Bautista is a pipe dream, but he would look awful nice in left.