PDA

View Full Version : Reds Sign Schumaker for 2 Years

Gapper
11-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 5m
Sources: #Reds, free agent Skip Schumaker agree on two-year deal, pending physical.

CoachBombay
11-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Hes a million times better than Izturis for your bench spot, but does he play short?

jwertz
11-18-2013, 04:47 PM
He played mostly second, but had time at every outfield spot last season. Not a good defender at any spot, but has a decent bat. A bench upgrade for sure.

Rando
11-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Solid pickup. He'll definitely help with leadership

... his presence in the dugout and the clubhouse continues to be critical. He was among the most vocal during the team's NL Division Series Game 5 comeback against the Nationals, and his experience as a part-time player has enabled Schumaker to be a sounding board for the Cardinals' younger bench players.
"For a young, inexperienced manager to have a veteran on his team that he knows understands and is willing to share that kind of personality and that kind of perspective really puts out a lot of other fires with some guys who might not be happy, as well," Matheny said. "... Skip has been incredible with how he's led inside that clubhouse in that regard."

No doubt this is something we've desperately needed. Frazier can't do it alone.

jwertz
11-19-2013, 11:46 AM
2 years, $5 mil. Seems steep, but in today's MLB that really isn't an overpay. With the signings of Pena and now Skip it makes me wonder what Walt is planning.

Gapper
11-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Not saying I want this to happen, but Schumaker as the LH platoon at 2nd base, and Uggla as the RH side might be a possibility.... I'd expect a pretty good prospect back from the Braves if we take the salary.

William
11-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Not saying I want this to happen, but Schumaker as the LH platoon at 2nd base, and Uggla as the RH side might be a possibility.... I'd expect a pretty good prospect back from the Braves if we take the salary.

I don't see the Reds wanting any part of a sub .200 hitter who can't field.

metalhead65
11-19-2013, 06:07 PM
just what the reds need another ex-cardinal who if he was any good would still be a cardinal or a dodger. and you are paying him 5 million dollars to be a utility player? when will somebody let jocketty know that he no longer works for the cardinals and those players he keeps signing and over paying are not the same players they were 10 years ago with the cardinals? what is so wrong with letting reds minor leaguers do the job? they can't be any worse than the washed up losers he has signed since he became gm of the reds and would be allot cheaper. what is wrong with giving guys like rodiguez and soto a chance? but no the reds have to over pay another yet cardinals reject.

kpresidente
11-20-2013, 12:20 AM
I don't see the Reds wanting any part of a sub .200 hitter who can't field.

Schumaker: .332/.332/.665
Uggla: .310/.362/.671

Uggla is the better defensive 2B by every metric listed at BR and fangraphs.

Braves have said they only want whoever takes Uggla to pay $6M of his remaining contract...so he's a 2yr/$6M contract and Schumaker is a 2yr/$5M contract.

As 2B, I don't really see the difference. There's no platoon, though, Uggla has a reverse split.

Ron Delancey
11-20-2013, 11:29 AM
I love this signing. Schumaker is exactly the type of player I think our front office wants. A hardworking clubhouse guy who keeps his mouth closed and plays baseball. If we get rid of BP this offseason, look for Schumaker to get a serious look at 2B.

EditTheSadParts
11-21-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm fine with the signing, just confused why 2 year deals for utility players in their 30's is the new norm.

strasserki
11-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Hmmm. Thinking we signed Skip for 2nd base insurance. Move Phillips's contract to the Yanks, use the money to re-sign Choo, move Billy boy to 2nd, and have Schumaker be a platoon/coach-type of player for Billy.

Strike3Called
11-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Is Hamilton a guy you're looking to hold on to or do you think he'd make a good trade chip to land someone who can help u right now?

Lewdog
11-26-2013, 12:39 AM
Is Hamilton a guy you're looking to hold on to or do you think he'd make a good trade chip to land someone who can help u right now?

Hamilton's speed and base stealing instinct is a weapon that MLB hasn't seen in years. He can be a game changer. They need to keep him.

Strike3Called
11-26-2013, 01:36 AM
Now that ive seen the bleacherreport article I agree. Looked at his minor league stats and saw that he was stealing 100/125 bases a season for a couple of seasons. That's insane.

Halfway between
11-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Hamilton's speed and base stealing instinct is a weapon that MLB hasn't seen in years. He can be a game changer. They need to keep him.

If the guy can only figure out how to steal 1B.

Halfway between
11-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Schumaker: .332/.332/.665
Uggla: .310/.362/.671

Uggla is the better defensive 2B by every metric listed at BR and fangraphs.

Braves have said they only want whoever takes Uggla to pay $6M of his remaining contract...so he's a 2yr/$6M contract and Schumaker is a 2yr/$5M contract.

As 2B, I don't really see the difference. There's no platoon, though, Uggla has a reverse split.

I don't remember Uggla being much of a prize defensively, but Schumaker is a fire plug. He'll catch almost everything hit right at him but almost nothing else. We're getting Skip for his bat and the intangibles. He's a great clubhouse guy. His team tends to win, wherever he goes.

You're right about Uggla. There's no platoon option there...and the Braves aren't giving him away for nuttin'.

Lewdog
11-26-2013, 08:00 PM
If the guy can only figure out how to steal 1B.

You can steal a base without getting a hit, ask Lloyd McClendon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baGUQmrsSv0

MoneyInTheBank
11-26-2013, 08:04 PM
You can steal a base without getting a hit, ask Lloyd McClendon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baGUQmrsSv0

I will never get tired of watching baseball manager meltdowns