PDA

View Full Version : Winter Mtg Tidbits...Arroyo, Gardner, etc

Redsville
12-10-2013, 06:57 PM
At least according to mlbtraderumors.com

Walt had a meeting with Bronson/agents today......not surprised, and I'm on board with it.

Yankees supposedly keeping Gardner.....I wonder if we tried to propose Leake to them for Gardner, they wanted Bailey, and we told them to go fly a kite.

So, Walt has a meeting with Bailey's people....gets the idea contract extension not going anywhere....

Sign Arroyo, trade Homer for offense (CF) and be done with it???

If that's possibly the case, who does Homer bring in for CF?

The other wildcard here is, the more teams that come off the board for Choo's services, hopefully cheaper he becomes for a team like the Reds....today the Dbacks came off the board

Mike Honcho
12-10-2013, 08:00 PM
One more year of Bailey and the draft pick is worth more than dumping Bailey for 50 cents on the dollar

Rando
12-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Gotta agree with Honcho. Trading Bailey would be a downgrade no matter who we get.

jwertz
12-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Some guy on Twitter says he is a member of the Reds staff at the winter meetings. I don't think he is legit, but I'm following him for funsies. Check out his timeline, it's entertaining. @SeeHearTell. I don't believe a word he is saying, but I'm bored.

CoachBombay
12-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Some guy on Twitter says he is a member of the Reds staff at the winter meetings. I don't think he is legit, but I'm following him for funsies. Check out his timeline, it's entertaining. @SeeHearTell. I don't believe a word he is saying, but I'm bored.

Yea he said he saw Castellini down there and Jaime Ramsey confronted him saying Castellini isnt even there.

jwertz
12-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Yea he said he saw Castellini down there and Jaime Ramsey confronted him saying Castellini isnt even there.

Stuff like this happens every year. It's hilarious. I probably shouldn't play along, but I can't help myself.

CoachBombay
12-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Oh im playing along too...Its too fun not to. And surely helps get through a slow work day like today

Redsville
12-11-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm following too..oh well, he may be on to something with Hairston out of nowhere stuff and Arroyo.

Back to it....Lance McAllister keeps preaching brace ourselves for something big.

Sounds like it starts with getting Bronson resigned to me. That would make Leake or Bailey available to go along with 1 or more of BP, Marshall, Chapman available to trade away in a trade with one other team or get really juicy with a multi team deal.

I just wish we would be more active as a top tier playoff type team should to reload.

Lewdog
12-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Volquez signed a one year $5 mil contract with the Pirates.

jwertz
12-12-2013, 10:25 AM
The worst part about the off season besides no baseball is waiting for your team to make a move. I understand it is a complicated process, but COME ON WALT I NEED SOMETHING!!!! Just let this Seeall guy be GM for a day and we will have all the trades.

Opening day lineup if Seeall is GM

Brett Gardner
Ty Cobb
Joey Votto
A ham sammich
Jay Bruce
Bo Jackson
Todd Frazier
Howie Kendrick
pitcher

Get it done!

No pants Mcgee
12-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Volquez signed a one year $5 mil contract with the Pirates.

This has disaster written all over it for the Pirates. If the guy couldn't get it done in San Diego I can't see it happening in Pittsburgh. Plus $5 Million is a lot of money for a small market team trying to fill other holes.

Rando
12-12-2013, 12:07 PM
This has disaster written all over it for the Pirates. If the guy couldn't get it done in San Diego I can't see it happening in Pittsburgh. Plus $5 Million is a lot of money for a small market team trying to fill other holes.

Agreed, absolutely awful move. Volquez never improved when he left Cincinnati and struggled in Petco park (LOL). Bringing him back to the NL Central where everyone has seen him dozens of times and everyone knows his weakness simply isn't going to win you the division.

jwertz
12-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Reds have interest in Omar Infante according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today. Sounds like a smokescreen to me.

Redsville
12-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Reds have interest in Omar Infante according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today. Sounds like a smokescreen to me.

Or to shrink the available number of 2basemen by 1 so that more teams need to shop for Philips.

Redsville
12-12-2013, 07:26 PM
We have a lot of money on injured arms.

I wish we could dump 30+ mil in Cueto, Marshall, Broxton, and Philips at this point, since the BP part seems like it has jumped the shark internally. We could do a lot with that 30 million plus get some decent prospects from those guys.

Sign Bailey and Latos long term, get Gardner and Infante, make room for new SP's in house or from what we can get from trading those guys above.

Seems like a lot of work to be done in the next month since nothing sizeable has been done yet.

It is funny that the 2 FA's from the Reds haven't signed with anyone yet, and the BP ordeal isn't resolved yet.....

jwertz
12-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Mystery twitter guy just said that the Reds have traded B.P. and Homer to the Dodgers for Matt Kemp. LOL WUT?

Redsville
12-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Mystery twitter guy just said that the Reds have traded B.P. and Homer to the Dodgers for Matt Kemp. LOL WUT?

Sounds like he's rounding third and heading for home on that tweet!

Lewdog
12-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Sounds like he's rounding third and heading for home on that tweet!

Do you really think the Reds would take on one of the largest contracts in MLB?

Redsville
12-13-2013, 07:32 AM
Do you really think the Reds would take on one of the largest contracts in MLB?

No, what I meant by that last post...was referring to that guy on twitter sending his last tweet before signing off with that skit he's been peforming all week.......and I said that in a Joe Nuxall tribute kind of way.

The twitter dude is cooked after making that proclamation last night and it not happening today.

Now....back to reality, I think we could ship off Cueto, Marshall, Broxton, BP in various trades for prospects and filler spots like Gardener in CF, and free up money to sign a power hitting RH, and money to spend on extending Latos and Bailey.

But, it appears that's way to aggressive/risky for this organization.

Halfway between
12-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Gotta agree with Honcho. Trading Bailey would be a downgrade no matter who we get.

Just depends on whether you want a player now or 4 years from now.

Dwarftree
12-15-2013, 04:10 AM
I think we could ship off Cueto, Marshall, Broxton, BP in various trades for prospects and filler spots like Gardener in CF, and free up money to sign a power hitting RH, and money to spend on extending Latos and Bailey.

They question is if our team would be better off without one or some of these guys when the only thing we get back would be fillers. I donīt think so. I think Walt is playing it the right way for the moment not getting hysterical. The market is kind of quiet right now. Why not wait a bit longer. It is still some time until Spring Training and players we can afford or for whom we do not have to give up too much only get cheaper.

Redsville
12-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Given todays news of Mark Ellis to the Dark Side.....our options are dwindling for 2b if BP were traded IMO.

I think we may be down to signing Bronson, to make Leake more than Bailey available, to trade for a CF. Unless we are blown away by a trade proposal with BP/Bailey included that takes care of 2b/CF/prospect SP. At this point we may be looking for a CF, then go with it, see if Ludwick can get his RH power back, and then maybe trade Bailey at the deadline for power if we are contending and its obvious that is the weak spot to get to the playoffs.

I just don't see the "big one" happening at this point as Lance and some others have suggested.

Leake for Rasmus
Leake for Gardner
Leake for De Aza

What do you all think going forward now that FA's are signing elsewhere?

Lewdog
12-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Teams don't generally get better when you replace half the team to fill one spot in the lineup.

Redsville
12-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Teams don't generally get better when you replace half the team to fill one spot in the lineup.

Yeah, buts it not like we were in the cellar last year. If Ludwick performs next year, and Frazier/Meso step up alittle more then we won't that far off. We definitely need a CF, don't get me wrong. I'm not sold on Hamilton starting right away by any means. I would much rather be able to pull off the big trade to fixe 2 or 3 positions too, but I just don't see it now. If we sign Bronson and use Leake for a CF trade chip piece then that may what we have to live with for awhile.

Lewdog
12-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Yeah, buts it not like we were in the cellar last year. If Ludwick performs next year, and Frazier/Meso step up alittle more then we won't that far off. We definitely need a CF, don't get me wrong. I'm not sold on Hamilton starting right away by any means. I would much rather be able to pull off the big trade to fixe 2 or 3 positions too, but I just don't see it now. If we sign Bronson and use Leake for a CF trade chip piece then that may what we have to live with for awhile.

Well either Bronson is playing poker with the Reds by meeting with the Yankees, or he is going to be out of their price range. I'm seeing way too many guys out there that I would rather the Reds sign 2 or 3 of them and see if one does well in Spring training than to give Bronson bags of cash. Kazmier, Pelphrey, and Chamberlain are just a few of them. All those guys together would be cheaper than Bronson.

I'm actually quite amazed some of the outfielders the Reds are passing on too, and some of the deals are unreal. Did you see Morneau left the Pirates and is only getting 2-years and $12.5 million from the Rockies?? By now I'm used to the Reds at least signing a couple older free agents to minor league deals. They have made no ways whatsoever. That tells me they are either going to make one big signing and stick with what they got, or sign no one until the week before training camp and go bargain basement shopping for a few fill-ins and use the rest of the money to sign guys to extensions.

bullseye
12-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Given todays news of Mark Ellis to the Dark Side.....our options are dwindling for 2b if BP were traded IMO.

I think we may be down to signing Bronson, to make Leake more than Bailey available, to trade for a CF. Unless we are blown away by a trade proposal with BP/Bailey included that takes care of 2b/CF/prospect SP. At this point we may be looking for a CF, then go with it, see if Ludwick can get his RH power back, and then maybe trade Bailey at the deadline for power if we are contending and its obvious that is the weak spot to get to the playoffs.

I just don't see the "big one" happening at this point as Lance and some others have suggested.

Leake for Rasmus
Leake for Gardner
Leake for De Aza

What do you all think going forward now that FA's are signing elsewhere?

My guess is BP stays and Bailey goes if the Reds cannot workout an extension with Homer by March.

RedlegJake
12-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Well either Bronson is playing poker with the Reds by meeting with the Yankees, or he is going to be out of their price range. I'm seeing way too many guys out there that I would rather the Reds sign 2 or 3 of them and see if one does well in Spring training than to give Bronson bags of cash. Kazmier, Pelphrey, and Chamberlain are just a few of them. All those guys together would be cheaper than Bronson.

I'm actually quite amazed some of the outfielders the Reds are passing on too, and some of the deals are unreal. Did you see Morneau left the Pirates and is only getting 2-years and $12.5 million from the Rockies?? By now I'm used to the Reds at least signing a couple older free agents to minor league deals. They have made no ways whatsoever. That tells me they are either going to make one big signing and stick with what they got, or sign no one until the week before training camp and go bargain basement shopping for a few fill-ins and use the rest of the money to sign guys to extensions.

Morneau is a horrible deal at that price, imo. Kazmir signed $22 million for 2 years so he wouldn't be materially cheaper than Bronson by himself. Pelfrey is relatively cheap as he signed for 2/$11mil guaranteed and 3.5mil in possible bonuses. He is also horrible - over 5 era and 1.55 whip. At the prices guys are signing for so far I don't see the Reds as missing too much to this point.

Lewdog
12-15-2013, 07:14 PM
Morneau is a horrible deal at that price, imo. Kazmir signed $22 million for 2 years so he wouldn't be materially cheaper than Bronson by himself. Pelfrey is relatively cheap as he signed for 2/$11mil guaranteed and 3.5mil in possible bonuses. He is also horrible - over 5 era and 1.55 whip. At the prices guys are signing for so far I don't see the Reds as missing too much to this point.

Kazmir is only 29, and who knows if he can catch lightening in a bottle and return to the pitching stud he was in Tampa before they pitched his arm off.

Pelfrey is also 29 (Born at Wright-Patterson AFB might I add) and has shown flashes despite coming off surgery two years ago. This would be the year he would be back to full strength.

Joba Chamberlain was a bargain.

Morneau is still in his prime years, and for a guy with his glove and a career .277 hitter, that price is a bargain. Morneau will hit at least .280 with 30 hr and 100 RBI this year and possibly beat Votto for the Gold Glove.

RedlegJake
12-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Kazmir is only 29, and who knows if he can catch lightening in a bottle and return to the pitching stud he was in Tampa before they pitched his arm off.

Pelfrey is also 29 (Born at Wright-Patterson AFB might I add) and has shown flashes despite coming off surgery two years ago. This would be the year he would be back to full strength.

Joba Chamberlain was a bargain.

Morneau is still in his prime years, and for a guy with his glove and a career .277 hitter, that price is a bargain. Morneau will hit at least .280 with 30 hr and 100 RBI this year and possibly beat Votto for the Gold Glove.

Well, Lew, I just disagree on Morneau. I'll be surprised if he gets close to those numbers. Pelfrey I flat don't like. Kazmir, I agree, might be back. Joba has been pretty decent as a reliever, not so much starting. I don't think any of them are better than what's in house. I'm not saying Walt doesn't need to do anything just that those aren't the guys I'd bemoan not signing.

bullseye
12-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Morneau hasn't hit .270 since 2010 and has not put up those power numbers since 2009. He is 33 and far from his prime IMO. Would be interesting to see what he would do here, but we have a far better player at 1st and he doesn't get hurt every season like Morneau.

Halfway between
12-16-2013, 11:18 AM

Ludwick's getting a little long in the tooth. He's being held together with bailing wire. He's a class act but depending on him is iffy. Not sure what kind of CF'er can be gotten for Leake. Might as well dangle Bailey since he seems destined for FA next year.