PDA

View Full Version : Rusney Castillo -Cuban Defector

Ladeda
12-19-2013, 01:18 AM
Possible FA acquisition for the Reds?? He shouldn't be as pricey as Cespedes was for the A's.

From Baseball America. http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/defection-of-top-cuban-outfielder-rusney-castillo-could-shake-up-market/

"Rusney Castillo, a 26-year-old center fielder who had been one of the top players in Cuba, has left the country to pursue a contract with a major league team, Baseball America has learned."

"Castillo is short but has a strong, athletic frame at 5-foot-9, 185 pounds. His best tool is his speed, as he’s an above-average runner and one of the better base stealers in Cuba. More of a doubles hitter than a big home run threat, Castillo puts a charge into the ball with a line-drive righthanded swing, though he can get long to the ball at times and some scouts think he’s prone to chasing pitches off the plate. Primarily a center fielder in Cuba, Castillo has also played some second and third base, so his versatility could be a draw for some teams. He’s an aggressive, high-energy player, though some teams see him as a fourth outfielder."

RedlegJake
12-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Only if he's relatively cheap. Not enough upside to risk too much, imo.

Halfway between
12-20-2013, 05:59 PM
There is no telling if that bat plays in the major leagues. Cincy struck gold with Chapman, but then, 103 mph fastballs aren't much of a gamble. 5' 9" CF'ers on the other hand...

Ladeda
12-21-2013, 06:03 AM
There is no telling if that bat plays in the major leagues. Cincy struck gold with Chapman, but then, 103 mph fastballs aren't much of a gamble. 5' 9" CF'ers on the other hand...

Who cares that he is 5'9? McCutchen is 5'10 and he's a pretty darn good CF.

I wish the Reds hadn't signed Skip. I wouldn't mind them taking a punt on Rusney if his salary was only for $3-$4mm max per year. The fact that he could also play 2B or 3B is a plus.

Not to mention, you can sign him to a 4 year deal and get him during his prime years as he's just 26.

Old school 1983
12-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Who cares that he is 5'9? McCutchen is 5'10 and he's a pretty darn good CF.

I wish the Reds hadn't signed Skip. I wouldn't mind them taking a punt on Rusney if his salary was only for $3-$4mm max per year. The fact that he could also play 2B or 3B is a plus.

Not to mention, you can sign him to a 4 year deal and get him during his prime years as he's just 26.

I liked the Skip signing. He's a proven solid major league piece. We don't know a thing about how this guy would perform in the bigs. But if the Reds would like to take a shot at him, I think it'd be a good thing. Seems to have a useful skillset, versatility and is still young. Maybe sign him, and try to pawn off Heisey.

LewGra
12-21-2013, 11:44 AM

This. I just feel like they can't all be Chapmans and Puigs.

Ladeda
12-22-2013, 02:46 AM
This. I just feel like they can't all be Chapmans and Puigs.

He doesn't have to be a Puig to be valuable, especially if you get him for a decent price. That's what it comes down to. If you sign him for $2mm a year, it's worth the risk. $10mm would be insane. He doesn't have to be Puig or Cespedes if the price is right.

Ladeda
12-22-2013, 02:49 AM
I liked the Skip signing. He's a proven solid major league piece. We don't know a thing about how this guy would perform in the bigs. But if the Reds would like to take a shot at him, I think it'd be a good thing. Seems to have a useful skillset, versatility and is still young. Maybe sign him, and try to pawn off Heisey.

I know this is a thread about Rusney. But I hate the Skip signing. He's getting $2.50mm a year for 2 years. He just came off a $1.5mm contract and he's older and getting worse.

I just think Walt overpaid by $1mm a year on the Skip signing and that's really my big beef with it. I'd rather go with an in house option for the league minimum and pay that guy $1mm over 2 years, vs $5mm over 2 years for Skip.

But to each their own.