PDA

View Full Version : Oscar nominations are out

Chip R
01-16-2014, 10:19 AM
https://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-news/2014-oscars--complete-list-of-nominees-and-winners-201452624.html

RedTeamGo!
01-16-2014, 10:32 AM
American Hustle is the most overrated movie I have ever seen.

I thought the performances of Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence and especially Bradley Cooper were mediocre at best.

This movie was a glorified soap opera to me.

NebraskaRed
01-16-2014, 10:58 AM
I'm really interested in seeing 12 Years a Slave. Usually I haven't see the majority of movies that get nominated for best picture, but I'm 6 for 9 this year.

WildcatFan
01-16-2014, 11:06 AM
I was surprised Oscar Isaac didn't earn a bid.

RedTeamGo!
01-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Just read this random fact on twitter:

"Just remember that ron howard has more best directing oscars that Fellini, Hitchcock, Malick, Altman, and Kubrick combined." - Mathew Zeitlin

Wow.

_Sir_Charles_
01-16-2014, 11:25 AM
This one shocked me. Jonah Hill has more career oscar nominations than Robert Redford. What the hell!?!

Hanks being snubbed is kinda nuts too IMO.

*BaseClogger*
01-16-2014, 11:59 AM
Just read this random fact on twitter:

"Just remember that ron howard has more best directing oscars that Fellini, Hitchcock, Malick, Altman, and Kubrick combined." - Mathew Zeitlin

Wow.

Sentimentality and period pieces, baby!

*BaseClogger*
01-16-2014, 12:00 PM
Hanks being snubbed is kinda nuts too IMO.

Who do you replace him with? And why Hanks over Oscar Isaac? Joaquin Phoenix?

*BaseClogger*
01-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Overall a good list, although I'm disappointed the Academy only watched about nine movies this year.

Not giving any nominations to films like Fruitvale Station, Short Term 12, Mud, Side Effects, etc (basically lesser seen fare) is too bad. How is it possible that all of the best performances were in the same 10 movies? Was nobody else in the film industry trying?

RedTeamGo!
01-16-2014, 12:48 PM
fruitvale station

Where's wallace?!! Where's wallace, String??!!

Degenerate39
01-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Can't believe Elba got snubbed.

BuckeyeRed27
01-16-2014, 01:06 PM
I'm pretty surprised that "All is Lost" and Redford didn't get more love. Best Actor is a tough category this year and all those performances are great, but Redford certainly deserved it. I also liked the movie more than a few others on the list. It didn't have a chance of winning so it doesn't matter that much I guess.

SunDeck
01-16-2014, 02:20 PM
American Hustle is the most overrated movie I have ever seen.

I thought the performances of Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence and especially Bradley Cooper were mediocre at best.

This movie was a glorified soap opera to me.

That's interesting to hear; I decided not to see the movie after watching an extended preview and after four minutes my mind was made up that the the characterization seemed almost like caricature. Perhaps it was an homage to the way "crooks" were portrayed in the 70s, so I am open to the possibility that this was purposeful, but it didn't seem watchable to me.

I think All is Lost is just too weird. One character, no dialog.

RedTeamGo!
01-16-2014, 02:25 PM
That's interesting to hear; I decided not to see the movie after watching an extended preview and after four minutes my mind was made up that the the characterization seemed almost like caricature. Perhaps it was an homage to the way "crooks" were portrayed in the 70s, so I am open to the possibility that this was purposeful, but it didn't seem watchable to me.

If you enjoy 30-40 minutes of characters making out on screen you would love American Hustle

Yachtzee
01-16-2014, 02:59 PM
I thought American Hustle had Oscar-worthy performances from Christian Bale's comb-over and Amy Adams' chest.

vaticanplum
01-16-2014, 03:02 PM
American Hustle is exactly the kind of movie the Academy should be honoring. It has mass appeal but is still a rock solid movie in an old-fashioned sense: incredibly solid acting and storytelling, visually appealing, lots of intrigue, a great mix of drama and comedy, and overall just a solid portrait of a group of people in a specific time and place. It's the same formula as Silver Linings Playbook although I think SLP is a better movie. I think all the nominations are deserved except for Bradley Cooper, who has limited range. I would have replaced him with Jeremy Renner -- I am baffled as to how he hasn't gotten more attention for this.

i totally disagree with the assessment that the characters are not well-drawn in any way. They have multiple motives and facets to them and I would put David O. Russell's female characters in particular against any others in any movie.

I'd always be happy to see edgier films nominated (provided they're good, of course), but anyone who thinks that's what the Oscars are for is kidding himself. It's a commercial for movies that Hollywood wants people to see (good ones, of course) and thinks the public can handle. And really, I have no problem with that.

All that aside, I think the noms as a whole are kind of a snooze fest.

RedTeamGo!
01-16-2014, 03:03 PM
I saw another really funny tweet earlier:

"And the Academy Award for 'Best Impression of a great movie' goes to.......American Hustle!"

*BaseClogger*
01-16-2014, 03:15 PM
American Hustle is exactly the kind of movie the Academy should be honoring. It has mass appeal but is still a rock solid movie in an old-fashioned sense: incredibly solid acting and storytelling, visually appealing, lots of intrigue, a great mix of drama and comedy, and overall just a solid portrait of a group of people in a specific time and place. It's the same formula as Silver Linings Playbook although I think SLP is a better movie. I think all the nominations are deserved except for Bradley Cooper, who has limited range. I would have replaced him with Jeremy Renner -- I am baffled as to how he hasn't gotten more attention for this.

i totally disagree with the assessment that the characters are not well-drawn in any way. They have multiple motives and facets to them and I would put David O. Russell's female characters in particular against any others in any movie.

I'd always be happy to see edgier films nominated (provided they're good, of course), but anyone who thinks that's what the Oscars are for is kidding himself. It's a commercial for movies that Hollywood wants people to see (good ones, of course) and thinks the public can handle. And really, I have no problem with that.

All that aside, I think the noms as a whole are kind of a snooze fest.

I strongly agree with you about your first point. For years I remember being disappointed that any movie that did well at the box office was seemingly disqualified from awards season. Even if I was disappointed in American Hustle, it was still a fun but respectable Hollywood product. There was plenty of thought put into the film-making and it had cultural value beyond two hours of popcorn face-stuffing at the theater. It had style.

I dunno if you were restricting Cooper's replacement to the same film or not. If I'm allowed to be unrealistic for a moment I personally would have gone with either Sam Rockwell from The Way Way Backor Jake Gyllenhaal in Prisoners for that spot.

But having said all of that...what is August: Osage County if not typical Oscar-baiting pretentiousness? It's not edgy OR box office material.

What are some of the "edgy but good" movies you would have nominated?

Wonderful Monds
01-16-2014, 03:19 PM
I thought American Hustle had Oscar-worthy performances from Christian Bale's comb-over and Amy Adams' chest.

And Jennifer Lawrence's too. No snubbin' here.

vaticanplum
01-16-2014, 03:37 PM
I dunno if you were restricting Cooper's replacement to the same film or not. If I'm allowed to be unrealistic for a moment I personally would have gone with either Sam Rockwell from The Way Way Backor Jake Gyllenhaal in Prisoners for that spot.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm sure there are a dozen other actors that could fit there. That's always a strong category

But having said all of that...what is August: Osage County if not typical Oscar-baiting pretentiousness? It's not edgy OR box office material.

I actually haven't seen it but know (and love) it as a play. Given its roots as such, I'm not sure that it came about just to be Oscar bait, though its casting certainly seems to say so. Interestingly enough, I've had HUGE debates in this same vein with people about the play -- namely, with pretentious theater snobs who think that any play that appeals to a mass audience must be shallow and boring. It's a great story with great characters; I hope that comes out in the film, though it might say something that I haven't been bothered to see it yet.

What are some of the "edgy but good" movies you would have nominated?

Oh gosh, I didn't see a lot of movies this year, but I'm talking about stuff that would really turn off much of a mass audience. Blue is the Warmest Color just missed eligibility this year, but I would be shocked if it garnered any nominations next year. It's supposed to be a beautiful film with jaw-dropping performances, but that's not what most people (especially Americans) talk about when it comes up. I don't think the Academy is ready to distance itself from mainstream viewers that way. Rush, too; it's not particularly edgy but it reads as more of a niche film than one with mainstream appeal and didn't get the Oscar buzz (or release date) that it deserved.

Razor Shines
02-26-2014, 06:08 PM
One cranky member of the Academy's directors branch talks THR's Scott Feinberg through his picks: "'Gravity'? I've seen better things at planetariums," while Julia Roberts "was horrendous" and Meryl Streep gave "a bottom-drawer performance" in "August: Osage County."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/oscar-voter-reveals-brutally-honest-682957

Don't agree with all he said but I thought it was funny.

dougdirt
02-27-2014, 02:07 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/oscar-voter-reveals-brutally-honest-682957

Don't agree with all he said but I thought it was funny.

It kind of rubbed me the wrong way that he openly admits he will vote for friends if they are nominated.

I laughed at a few comments about certain people and movies. I was saddened by a few other comments that were made.

*BaseClogger*
02-27-2014, 10:46 AM
Here Are The Las Vegas Odds For The Oscars, Including The All-Important Pink-Midler Duet Question (http://www.uproxx.com/filmdrunk/2014/02/las-vegas-odds-oscars-2014-86th-academy-awards/)

Look, all you need to know about the Oscars to know that it’s a joke is that Inside Llewyn Davis didn’t even get nominated for music, while a song by Bono did. Did you know the original intent of the Academy was for studio heads to declaw the labor movement by pinning meaningless baubles and trinkets to their chests? It’s true. That said, everyone likes to gamble, and Las Vegas has betting odds on this year’s Oscars.

Best Picture
12 Years a Slave 1/5
Gravity 4/1
American Hustle 12/1
Dallas Buyers Club 20/1
The Wolf of Wall Street 25/1
Captain Phillips 150/1
Her 150/1
Nebraska 200/1
Philomena 200/1

That means that for 12 Years A Slave, you’d have to bet five dollars to win one, whereas a one dollar bet on Philomena would get you $200. I’m no Ace Rothstein, but the four to one on Gravity is looking pretty nice to me.

Not a lot of tight races according to Vegas...

Kingspoint
02-28-2014, 04:00 PM
I heard last night that 2/3rd's of America have not seen any of the movies nominated for Best Picture.

I know I haven't. Just have gotten away from seeing movies (at theaters) the last couple of years.

Kind of coinciding with my favorite sports teams performing better.

dougdirt
02-28-2014, 05:48 PM
I heard last night that 2/3rd's of America have not seen any of the movies nominated for Best Picture.

I know I haven't. Just have gotten away from seeing movies (at theaters) the last couple of years.

Kind of coinciding with my favorites sports teams performing better.

I have watched four of the best picture nominees.

Kingspoint
02-28-2014, 09:41 PM
I have watched four of the best picture nominees.

...and the winner is?

dougdirt
03-01-2014, 12:22 PM
...and the winner is?

I liked Nebraska the best, but it doesn't feel like a "best picture" to me. None of them really do. I thought American Hustle was good, but vastly overrated.

*BaseClogger*
03-03-2014, 12:15 PM
I liked Nebraska the best, but it doesn't feel like a "best picture" to me. None of them really do. I thought American Hustle was good, but vastly overrated.

I thought 12 Years a Slave always felt like the most "best picture" movie of them all, although I'd love to live in a world where Her feels like a "best picture"...

Degenerate39
03-03-2014, 04:30 PM
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1/1379992_749891595035904_62808866_n.jpg

Ohayou
03-03-2014, 08:00 PM
I thought 12 Years a Slave always felt like the most "best picture" movie of them all, although I'd love to live in a world where Her feels like a "best picture"...

The Wolf of Wall Street was my personal favorite from 2013, but I would have liked to see Before Midnight and Blue is the Warmest Color nominated as well. I think Blue was past the deadline for Best Foreign Language Film, though. Not so sure about the other awards, but Adčle Exarchopoulos I thought was just as good as Cate Blanchett.

redsmetz
03-04-2014, 08:28 AM
duplicate - attachment didn't load

redsmetz
03-04-2014, 08:35 AM
I saw a piece on Facebook about the NY Times' article from 1853 on Northup and his story. I wondered, since as a local library patron and can search the Enquirer's archives, if they had anything from back then too. Here's an advertisement from the Nov 30, 1853 edition for the book "Twelve Years A Slave".

*BaseClogger*
03-04-2014, 10:01 AM
The Wolf of Wall Street was my personal favorite from 2013, but I would have liked to see Before Midnight and Blue is the Warmest Color nominated as well. I think Blue was past the deadline for Best Foreign Language Film, though. Not so sure about the other awards, but Adčle Exarchopoulos I thought was just as good as Cate Blanchett.

If Before Midnight were to win for anything, it should have been for its screenplay...

vaticanplum
03-04-2014, 10:11 AM

Yeah I think it missed the deadline entirely. We'll see if anything turns up next year (I'm guessing buzz will be long dead by then).

I am afraid to see Before Midnight. I am too invested in Jesse and Celine to have no more of their story waiting for me onscreen, assuming this is the last installment.

redsmetz
03-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Yeah I think it missed the deadline entirely. We'll see if anything turns up next year (I'm guessing buzz will be long dead by then).

I am afraid to see Before Midnight. I am too invested in Jesse and Celine to have no more of their story waiting for me onscreen, assuming this is the last installment.

Actually it was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay. Hard to argue with the ultimate winner, "12 Years a Slave."

vaticanplum
03-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Actually it was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay. Hard to argue with the ultimate winner, "12 Years a Slave."

Sorry, I wasn't clear -- I meant Blue Is the Warmest Color missed the deadline and was ineligible. (Although I'm actually still unclear on that -- it definitely was not eligible for Best Foreign film, not sure beyond that).

Ohayou
03-04-2014, 07:25 PM

I recently watched all three in a row. It only takes about 5 hours. And there is an argument to be made that Midnight is actually the best of the series. Compared to the hopeful idealism of the first two, the third has the deepest themes. It's the most "real life" oriented as the fantasy has been replaced by an everyday reality, and it deals with the consequences that come with actually getting what you want. Hawke and Delpy are at the top of their games, and that 30 minute fight scene was masterfully done. It's a masterpiece.

redsmetz
03-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Sorry, I wasn't clear -- I meant Blue Is the Warmest Color missed the deadline and was ineligible. (Although I'm actually still unclear on that -- it definitely was not eligible for Best Foreign film, not sure beyond that).

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

redsmetz
03-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Filing this under the "better late than never" category, the NY Times issued a correction to their 1853 story, as someone commented to them on Twitter that they had misspelled Northup's name in both the headline and the article itself.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/new-york-times-correction-12-years-a-slae