PDA

View Full Version : Shirley Temple has Passed Away

cumberlandreds
02-11-2014, 07:00 AM
Iconic child movie star of the 1930's,Shirley Temple, has passed away. She was extremely popular in the 1930's. I don't think I have ever watched a movie she was in. I'll have to check TCM or one of the old movie channels and DVR one. My parents often talked how much they liked her when they went to movies when they were young. Temple also was an ambassodor to Ghana and Chechoslovakia (sp?) in her adult life. RIP Shirley Temple A true movie legend.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/02/1...6pLid%3D441459

RedsBaron
02-11-2014, 07:50 AM
She was a true screen legend, but her legendary film roles were 80 years ago. I think the only movie that she made that I have ever seen was "Fort Apache," a John Ford western starring John Wayne and Henry Fonda, made in 1948, with Temple playing a young adult. She basically quit acting by the end of the 1940's, with few roles after that. Perhaps our greatest child star, like so many child stars she never really was able to transition to adult roles. She did however go on to have a varied and successful career outside acting. R.I.P.

redsmetz
02-11-2014, 08:11 AM
I just shared this on Facebook. She was so well known for the dance numbers she did with Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, but my favorite was her dances with Buddy Ebsen (who later played Jed Clampett on The Beverly Hillbillies.

Here's a clip of them singing and dancing

http://youtu.be/Zpqt3zgdYUw

Chip R
02-11-2014, 09:06 AM
I thought she died years ago. Unlike Gilligan. ;)

westofyou
02-11-2014, 09:43 AM
A LEGEND (All Caps needed)

Snowed in winters you couldn't miss her films before cable TV arrived.

Adult role?

Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer comes to mind

redsmetz
02-11-2014, 12:57 PM
A LEGEND (All Caps needed)

Snowed in winters you couldn't miss her films before cable TV arrived.

Adult role?

Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer comes to mind

Really, that's what I was thinking. It was her movies, Tarzan, Three Stooges and the Our Gang comedies. Maybe an Abbott & Costello flick too.

Someone else mentioned the Bachelor & the Bobby Soxer on my FB post about her. I just watched a clip from that with her and Cary Grant. Fun little movie, as I recall, as is most anything with Grant.

SunDeck
02-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Was she older than the Professor?
When I heard she died I was sure she would have been about a hundred, but then I remembered, she was a child star, practically the same age as my dad.

cumberlandreds
02-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Was she older than the Professor?
When I heard she died I was sure she would have been about a hundred, but then I remembered, she was a child star, practically the same age as my dad.

No, Temple was 85 and the Professor was 89,IIRC.

Kingspoint
02-11-2014, 03:44 PM
She was the Empress of all Child Super Stars.

The only two 1930's Super Stars left I can think of are Luise Rainer (103) (two Best Actress Oscars) and Olivia DeHaviland (99, I think with one Best Actress Oscar). DeHaviland's sister, Joan Fontaine, died about six months ago, I believe.

I really enjoyed her in Fort Apache. It's not that she wasn't able to transition from child-star to adult star because of acting ability (like most child stars who are just cute, but aren't good actors), it's just that the studio didn't see how to capitalize on he name as it didn't draw in paid customers anymore. She was a good actress as an young adult, but her interests went outside of Hollywood. It was more her decision than Hollywood's. She'd seen enough of it as a child. The Hollywood she grew up in as a Star was night-and-day different from the Hollywood that was around when she was an adult. Like many women from Hollywood after World War II, she chose family over fame. She had a great 55-year marriage from 1950 to 2005 and raised two children with him.

I wish she had done more as an adult as I enjoyed the few roles that she did perform in.

redsmetz
02-12-2014, 08:36 AM
She was the Empress of all Child Super Stars.

The only two 1930's Super Stars left I can think of are Luise Rainer (103) (two Best Actress Oscars) and Olivia DeHaviland (99, I think with one Best Actress Oscar). DeHaviland's sister, Joan Fontaine, died about six months ago, I believe.

Actually, Fontaine died just two months ago on December 15th. It's just felt like a long off-season.

Kingspoint
02-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Sunday, March 9th @ 4:30 pm...an evening of her films on TCM.

cumberlandreds
02-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Sunday, March 9th @ 4:30 pm...an evening of her films on TCM.

Thanks. I'll have to try to remember to DVR one or two of them.

Kingspoint
02-17-2014, 08:06 PM
http://cmsimg.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=J0&Date=20140214&Category=OPINION&ArtNo=402140807&Ref=PH&Item=4&Maxw=620&Maxh=465&q=90