PDA

View Full Version : Jack Hannahan Hate?

Gapper
02-12-2014, 05:18 PM
I've seen on the Old Red Guard that some posters believe that Hannahan should be released. Does it really make sense to do this?

Looking at the 3B depth chart, per fangraphs, we have Frazier, Hannahan and then Soto. I 100% agree that Hannahan has not been close to worth the dollars that the Reds have spent on him, but without him, we would be pretty lean at 3B right?

Who are viable (and most importantly) inexpensive options to replace him?

Has Schumaker ever played 3rd? Plus we have him as the first backup option at 2nd and all 3 outfield spots currently. Would we really want to take a LH bat off the bench as well as leave Soto as our only other 3B option on the 40man?

The only free agent option I would want (without doing any research) is Bonifacio. He would provide depth and flexibility to the 25 man.

I get the disappointment, but I do not agree with anyone who thinks we should get rid of Hannahan (without getting someone to take his salary). Hopefully his production improves this year closer to his career averages.

RedlegJake
02-12-2014, 07:14 PM
I agree they are thin at third but Jack getting to his norms is still in the .640-.650 range. That is his normal year. Pretty anemic. There isn't much except Soto and I have little hope he'll be much of a threat against major league pitching. None of the myriad AAAA refugees signed this winter are going to help at third. And I just don't see Walt eating Hannahan's salary and then paying Emilio. So, yes, I think the Reds have to stick with Hannahan barring some surprising development.

JayBruceFan
02-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Hey, they gotta pick on somebody now that Dusty is gone

Larry Schuler
02-13-2014, 12:34 AM
It's them vs us. What side are you on?

Rando
02-13-2014, 08:59 AM
I can think of a few others that need released before Jack, but Jack is not good.

Larkin88
02-13-2014, 09:55 AM
I can think of a few others that need released before Jack, but Jack is not good.

Who on the 25-man would you release before Jack Hannahan?

(just curious, I'm with everyone else who thinks Jack's not going anywhere regardless)

mth123
02-15-2014, 05:33 AM
The problem with Hannahan is he hits like a middle infielder but plays a corner. Having him and a back-up capable of playing SS devotes two bench spots to no hit, defense first players. His spot should go to a player who fits the back-up MI mold. That player would also be perfectly capable of playing 3B as Frazier's caddy and would probably hit no worse than Hannahan. Having a Ramon Santiago on the bench would be fine if Hannahan wasn't already taking up the no hit, IF reserve spot. If we're going to give a bench spot to a guy who hits like a MI, I'd prefer it be a guy who can, you know, play MI. That would allow the other spot to a guy who could provide some offense as a platoon partner to Ludwck or Frazier. Hannahan doesn't provide that.

Gapper
02-15-2014, 12:07 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/cubs-to-sign-emilio-bonifacio.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Looks like Bonifacio is going to sign with the Cubs. He would have been a nice option.

02-16-2014, 01:55 AM
Who on the 25-man would you release before Jack Hannahan?

(just curious, I'm with everyone else who thinks Jack's not going anywhere regardless)

There is no 25 man roster currently.

Old school 1983
02-16-2014, 10:33 AM
If we have to complain about a guy who, if he makes the team, is the 25th guy, I think the team may be better than a lot of people think.

Chuckie
02-21-2014, 02:43 PM
He's really bad, but since he has $2 million guaranteed coming to him, no way he gets released IMO.

gfas
02-23-2014, 08:59 PM
If we have to complain about a guy who, if he makes the team, is the 25th guy, I think the team may be better than a lot of people think.

I agree, I'm not a hannahan fan, but it's not like you're going to find the kind of value in anyone that would replace the 25th man, at least not enough to make much of a difference at all.

mth123
02-24-2014, 02:19 AM
I agree, I'm not a hannahan fan, but it's not like you're going to find the kind of value in anyone that would replace the 25th man, at least not enough to make much of a difference at all.

Eric Chavez or Kelly Johnson would have been quite the upgrade to that spot. Would love to have Johnson playing against RHP while giving Ludwick, Frazier and Phillips a rest from flailing away. Chavez wouldn't be able to spot Phillips but is even a better bat and could spot both Frazier and Ludwick (with Frazier playing some LF). Hannahan doesn't do any of that because he isn't even an upgrade against RHP.

gfas
02-24-2014, 03:04 AM
Well Johnson and Chavez have been well below average defensively recently and that is putting it nicely... so no thanks on them. And defense is the name of the game when we're talking about what hannahan brings to the table.

mth123
02-24-2014, 06:43 AM
Well Johnson and Chavez have been well below average defensively recently and that is putting it nicely... so no thanks on them. And defense is the name of the game when we're talking about what hannahan brings to the table.

He's not even an upgrade at 3B over Frazier and can't play another position (contrary to the crazy Redszone rumors). If we're going to devote a defense position to the bench, it would be better used on a guy like Kris Negron who can play plus defense at 3 OF and 3 IF spots (and, no, I'm not suggesting Negron should have an even remote shot at a roster sot). Having a defense slot devoted to a back-up 3B seems a huge waste. They can get any back-up SS type to play solid defense at 3B. Hannahan has to hit to separate himself from those guys and right now, he hits like a MI IF and can't play the MI. I'll take Johnson or Chavez over him 8 days a week. Santiago, Diaz, Negron, Nelson and Navarro among the NRIs as well.

No pants Mcgee
02-24-2014, 09:01 AM
I would have loved to had signed Eric Chavez this offseason to replace hannahan. an .800 OPS bat off the bench would be a big upgrade for this team. With that said though, its unrealistic for the Reds right now. They are not going to eat Hannahans contract just to sign a more expensive player right now. That appears to be how the Broxton and other deals have handicapped the Reds.

I will say too that I think we have to give Hannahan a shot to redeem himself. He hit way under his career norms a season ago. The Reds certainly were hoping for more than the .216 .317 .288 .605 line when they signed him to a multi year deal. While its unrealistic to think hes turned the corner and will tear the cover off the ball this year hes a good candidate to significantly improve over last years numbers.